Fokker 10 year Build takes to the skies!

Richard Harris

Around 10-15 years ago I bought my Dad a Flair 1/4 scale Fokker DR-1 Triplane kit as a christmas present. Following years saw some solartex and a pair of those vintage wheels unwrapped.

Its been one of those builds that was started with all good intentions, but other projects have just got in the way as they do. I believe this is his only kit build for 10 years as he designs all his own models, converts strimmers engines galore etc this is what floats his boat and he enjoys it.

Well today it was wheeled out onto the patch for the first time, Irvine 150 started within a few flicks. Dad being dad just threw his bit of grass up in the air pointed it into wind , opened the throttle and away she went!

She flies very well indeed and 4 flights were made, on the last one it nosed over and broke the fin. An easy repair but I hope it doesn't take 10 years to 'get round to it'.

Luckily for us and unfortunate for him my camera was targeting his 'rubbish' landing.

A few photos of the Old Man with his new DR-1

Perhaps a pilot for this Christmas along with a set of machine guns?

Rich

Advert

loved both my triplanes, used to really wring them out, i always had trouble with the stern post, so it got rather re-inforced, mine both had zenoah 23 in, i would have another one in an instant, just waiting for the right one to come along, will never get round to building one but the landing tech needs working on, i never got to truly master it, i tried masses of elavator, 2 wheelers, 2 and the skid, none where better than the other, only chance was to slow it down as much as possible, and drop it slowly in

The big ones tended to do the same sort of thing, including touching hte wingtip like the last video, which is why they had those skids on the wing tips. Now if we could reverse the thrust just as the wheels touch the ground, or maybe have a little parachute at the tail that opens at that moment, we might be able to get rid of the nose over tendency. Both ideas are of course rather anachronistic!

John

Thanks for the compliments gents, I will pass them on to the Old manthumbs up

He has repaired it now and let me have a couple of flights with it yesterday evening, landings didn't seem to be an issue. I just floated it in, it was getting it off the ground where I struggled! tipping from side to side. I just stated I was seeing how much rudder authority was present embarrassed

It does fly nice though,seems to nose up under power but its not a very scale speed like that. Its about right at 1/3 throttle just pottering about.

Certainly needs some guns and a pilot like Pete's, flies great Tom. Please pass on my compliments to Pete.

Rich

i had no problems at all with take offs--i used the tip skids when needed, but the landings broke props, bents cranks, and generally made me sell the model off, but i LOVED the flying of them, the landings where 50/50, even when the tail was down, and relaxation crept in, it would suddenly just tip up, but, i do miss my tripe, i remember its most famous stunt, doing touch and goes on southport beach, nothing wrong with that? well, the wind was blowing hard, and the touch and goes where BACKwards!!!!! touch down, take off, fly backwards, open throttle, touch , and repeat, the object bacame to land it in the same spot, cracking model,