Which tachometer?

Oldbaldfella

Well, I'm back in deep now......

Bought the first (in this decade of my life) low winger yesterday. Well, it was crying out for a four stroke, so stick one of those on the bill too, mate.

Now in a former life, I seem to remember owning a tach for the four strokes. Asssuming that it's still a good idea to set a FS up with one, have you any recommendations, please?

Many thanks.

Advert

Ah that's the thing about these lads from the NE - there always splashing their money round!

Seriously, Ken has the ear of a maestro-musician, for the rest of us a tacho comes in handy just to be sure! I use a popular one you'll see a lot of, badged under different names. Mine is badged by Perkins - and you can see a picture and details of the type here though you can find lots of places that sell them not use Galaxy. In my experience it works well, is reliable, light,hasa long battery life etc - no probs.

BEB

OBF..same as for a 2st...lean it out - nose up - if it cuts open it up - a click or two and thats it ...... maybe a turn either way.....and then it should only need tweaking if you change fuel type/brand or plug...or if the weather changes..ie..summer to winter temps...if you feel you need get rid of your hard earned then go ahead......me i would spend it on something else....... it's OK for BEB.... he is from the well off neck of the wood's.....

ken anderson ne...1 ..... watch the dosh dept.... secret

BEB, even when he's slope soaring Ken can often be seen following his part time job of winkle picking after a short flight. Funny thing is he usually comes back up from the shore line with a damaged model (his own) in his hands. teeth 2

I bet Ken built his own rev meter way back when we stuck different lengths of piano wire in a block of wood to see which one resonated with the engine speed .Anyone else remember that? If so maybe you could dig out the dias and lengths so as to build another ?

Myron YO13 poor up north spokesman dept

Ah, uncouth comments eh - which ones were they then? I must have been asleep then.wink 2

By the way, can I point out that under the 2011 Bribery Act, seeking to curry favour with Mods by dangling implied promises of Chardonnay is strictly prohibited. Furthermore, attempting to influance a Mod's decisions by threatening to expose previous dinners/lunches or other sundry engagements that may, or may not, have taken place, with or without, Chardonnay and/or any other alcoholic beverages of any description is also illegal.

BEB (who actually prefers a decent Merlot or Pinot Noir if you're offering!)

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/04/2012 20:40:17

I just bought the same as BEB to replace my old one which had stopped working after more than 15 years, so while some may not need them I do find them useful for checking different props on various electric motors and IC engines.

I also have a couple of laser engines and found to my surprise that they were actually running faster a bit richer although they didn't sound it.

£20 for something that will last for the next 10+ years isn't too bad.

I have doubts about the necessity for IC engines, although I have none with respect to electric models.

With electrics, the opportunity to trade watts for revs etc. is very much a viable option. All be changing the pitch or diameter of the prop, in conjunction with a watt meter.

Almost a necessity on reflection

Efolg, a tach can be handy with EP if you want to try a different size prop at the flying field. If the rpm at the max current you want to draw with the particular battery that's fitted is known you can use the tach as an indicator without disturbing the wires.

I’ve just been looking at the HK Turnigy Micro Tacho, and this does look to be an improvement on the old. For starters, it reads in real time, i.e. the mains frequency reads as 3,000 rpm, not 300 as the earlier one does. The scale is two to nine blades, for EDF, and on the mains it reads correctly right down the list to 666 rpm on the nine blade setting. Also it has a backlight, I’m sure this will be a boon at the strip, in bright conditions. Plus an automatic peak hold reading, again I suspect I will soon appreciate this at times, too.
My colleague is going to be away for a short while, so he’s lent me his own, plus 3 cheap-as-chips HK glow plugs, medium temperature, medium hot and hot, just to try out and see if they improve the revs at all.

Not bad for 10, presumably US?, dollars, or around £6……

PB