Sandwiches; Cut diagonal or across?

Spice Cat

Advert

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 02/06/2012 17:46:55:

I'm genuinely.... Shocked! Gobsmacked! Amazed! Disorientated! Bemused! Flaberagasted!

DIAGONAL?????!!!!! smile o

Now a few nancy southerners cutting their butties diagonal I suppose I might of expected,....but even there I wouldn't have expect it amongst modellers. Shock - horror!

DIAGONAL??? - what next chaps? What not go the whole hog? "Cucumber sarnwitces" cut diagonal with the crusts trimed and Earl Grey in a dainty China cup. Have you all turned into Lady Bracknell?

I've just got this vision of you all sitting in your workshops sipping the tea with your little fingers daintily extended!!crook

Well - up 'ere we have 'em cutt proper. Across - anything else just won't do.

Extra mature cheddar, finely chopped onion, a little Branston Pickle on the side washed down with either a good ale, a glass of a nice fruity red or freshly made strong black coffee depending on the mood. And cut across! smile p

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 02/06/2012 17:48:05

Do I detect just a hint of jealousy??

Sophisticated Southerners Rule. OK.

just had some ardennense coarse pate for tea, nice bit of lettuce, and nice little diamonds of toast, now, i just cannot see pate going on a block of straight bread, i am oop norf, born and bred (or should that bread) but i like triangular bread, could this be to do with me being half southerner? dad was a kentish man

am i half a southern softy?

Having eaten sandwiches at a Buck House garden party I can categoricaly state that HRH Queen Elizabeth II slices her sandwiches straight! As this is her Diamond Jubilee weekend then may respectfully submit that there is little point in further debate.

The only thing I would add is that HRH does need to make her sandwiches bigger than 1.5" x 1"!!

God save the Queen!

Terry

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 02/06/2012 17:46:55:

DIAGONAL??? - what next chaps? What not go the whole hog? "Cucumber sarnwitces" cut diagonal with the crusts trimed and Earl Grey in a dainty China cup. Have you all turned into Lady Bracknell?

I've just got this vision of you all sitting in your workshops sipping the tea with your little fingers daintily extended!!crook

How did you know, BEB? You've described me to a 'T' - a Hampshire Hog and proud of it! teeth 2

Pete

ps You can go easy on the 'Lady Bracknell' bit though, or I'll have to send in the boys........angry 2

Posted by Alan Cantwell on 02/06/2012 20:04:21:

yeh, but she is of german origin, only true blooded english can take part in thiswink 2

the queen eh? owd a thout it

Aren't we all a bit anglo saxon - Saxony is Germany? "Vorsprung durch Technik" Which means "advancement through rectangular sandwiches!" wink 2

Terry

Posted by Alan Cantwell on 02/06/2012 17:46:46:

erm, better joints are diaganol, it spreads the load, and the gluing area, i like youe ananlogy though

Damm thats what I ment but explained it wrong. Still makes a good chip butty, though the balsa can be a bit crunchywink

Edited By MikeS on 02/06/2012 21:09:56

Posted by Pete B on 03/06/2012 09:13:37:

That'll be your 'last supper' if she reads that post, SC.........smile

Pete

To be fair her cooking isn't that bad as long as you can control the gag reflex.

We tend not to say grace any more; just issue the last rights. wink 2

PS Taking cover in my strike hardened bunker now....

When I go home to Scotland (I'm in California). I make sure I get a sandwich of Mothers pride plain bread, crusts on, with butter, flat sausages, and broon sauce - aaaaaahhhhh, nothing better. Almost forgot - cut straight across or not cut at all. The heels of the bread are especially good. The bread here is not so great, neither are the sausages, so it's a nice treat when I get back.

Edited By Ian Easton on 04/06/2012 18:42:28

Having taken some time to consider and research the subject I have found that EU rules state "All sandwiches should be cut straight across to negate the possibility of injury being caused by the accute angles on the corners of a diagonally cut sandwich" it goes on further to state "If a diagonally cut sandwich should be encountered it should only be consumed after the doning of the correct saftey equipment ie CE certified saftey googles and welding gloves"

You just wouldnt belive it would you !!

Robthinking

On a course that involved two days of death by powerpoint then followed up with a run of night shifts. I now think in EU and military saftey regulations having been bombarded with some of the rediculous rules that people in offices in Belgium think up.....and they did not provide a decent sarnie the whole time I was there, Got home and had an uncut best back bacon and brown sauce on white hovis bread...Bliss.!

Now the next question .

Back bacon or streaky ???

Rob.