Getting my Spitfire flying

Hi to all,

I have been building a couple RC planes, not electric, and have managed to complete a 1/10 Supermarine Spitfire kit by augostini, ready to fly........up and down the driveway is no longer enough, this bird needs to get air borne, and thats my first question to all the established members, I am based in Canterbury, and looking for a flying club to join in the local area, who will be willing to take me on show me the ropes as it were, so any ideas gratefully recieved....I am also in the process of building a 1/7 Topflite spitfire, which I am having a few issues with at the moment , with engine & exhaust particulary........so if anyone out there has a wealth of knowledge to give, let me know.......more questions to follow ............

Regards

Pete

Advert

hello peter put the spitfires to one side for the time been and find/join a club.....listen to the advice you are given and then buy a model suitable to learn with-probably a high wing trainer......then in aprox 12 months+ return to the spits and have a think about flying them.....and then put them away again.......keep asking as many questions on the forum as you want...and finally wellcome...from me...

ken anderson ne...1 ..wellcome and advice dept...

Hi Peter welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid Ken is right, the vast majority of us want to fly Spitfires right from the start, but they really do need plenty of experience before you can.

The club idea is perfect though. You could well find someone prepared to fly the Spit for you.

Have a look at the BMFA club list to find a club near you. Talk to them before you buy anything to learn on. They may even have a club training plane you can use.

All good advice here mate. Believe me you're far from being the first to select (or want to select) a Spitfire as their first model, and understandably so - its a beautiful plane. Everybody loves a Spitfire. But unfortunately, life being what it is, its also one of the most difficult models you can pick to fly.

Without getting too technical;

1. they're fast - certainly faster than your reactions will be at the outset. You need to hone those reactions and only a lot of practice with slower models at first (gradually working up until in flight corrections are second nature) will get you to Spitfire speed

2. They are invariably very heavy for the wing area they have - so we say they have a high wing loading. This means they won't fly slowly. This means landings for example have to be done at speed - no room for error. When you're learning you will make errors - we all did!

3. See those pointy wingtips? Cute eh? Well yes they are, but they also cause an effect called tip stalling - which can catch even a very experienced pilot out - if it happens at height a confident knowledgable pilot might sort it out before it hits the ground (hard, very hard), a beginner wouldn't stand a chance. To you it would just seem to have inexplicably "fallen out the sky"!

So, you've put all this effort in, you really don't want it to end in tears do you as you look down on a heap of shattered wood? And believe me it will do if you try to fly those Spits. Take Ken and Chris's advice - get yourself to a club, buy a nice user friendly trainer aircraft (we can recommend some suitable ones if you like) and take your time. Enjoy learning to fly ona buddy lead with an instructor co-pilot next to you. As Ken says with a fair bit of experience under your belt you'll be ready for those Spits,to fly them with panach and confidence - victory rolls the lot! And then you can really take some satisfaction in having mastered something pretty challenging that far from everyone can do! Remember full size pilots didn't take their first steps on Spitfires - there's a reason for that. wink 2

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/06/2012 00:30:04

spitfires are the very best winter model for the beginner, take them down the field, smash them to bits in 20 seconds of fun filled frenzy, then strip the gear out, and burn the bits to keep warm--like i said, perfect winter model, leave them for when you can fly them, or if you wish, get a club flyer, who is experianced on type, and at least you can see it fly, but please, dont turn up at the local club with ANY spitfire for your first introduction, it probably wont go down well,

Hi Peter, I'm afraid the guys are right. Your spitfire is well nigh impossible as a first model. Join a club, get insurance, a trainer and an instructor, and learn to fly.

You'r very quiet, hope we havent put you off

ernie

Another DeAgostini Spitfire aimed at the Novice, thread...crook
I don't think I've seen an airframe on ebay, or anywhere else that has either been flown or finished to flying.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you go down to a club, don't expect or take the Spit down, and expect to learn. It may get test flown by an experianced pilot(after seriously checking the airframe over), but no-one would want to try and teach anyone with it.

Hiya Peter,

well you probably think by now that we are all a lot of miserable so-and-so's pouring a ton of cold water on your enthusiasm - right? So what I thought I'd do is give you some positive news to cheer you up and tell you some thing you can do, as opposed to what we think you shouldn't do!

1. Go to the BMFA site Chris gives a link to above and select a couple of clubs in your area. Get in touch then go to see them. Pick one that has a proper instructor system (most clubs do), that is handy for you and, most important, that gives you the best welcome and makes you feel at home.

2 Find out what radio systems they use and what mode they fly - very important that.

3. Go shopping! Buy yourself a good traditional 40 size trainer. There are lots to pick from, for example the Seagull Boomerang or the Arising Star or the WOT Trainer or... well there are loads to pick from. Enjoy having a good nose round and ask at your new club if there is any one trainer they particularly like.

4. Build your trainer - it will be a lot easier than your Spitfires and you'll be able to get it all together in couple days.

5. Take yourself and your new trainer along to the new club and meet your instructor. He will first of all check your model out in great detail to be sure its all as it should be and help you to fix anything that is not quite right. He'll then link your transmitter to his via something called a buddy lead. This enables him to fly your model from his transmitter and then to hand control to you on your transmitter and most importantly take control back onto his transmitter if you get into difficulties - all at the flick of a switch! This way you can learn in comparative safety.

6. He'll teach you all sorts of stuff, first how to fly straight and level, how to turn, how to climb, how to decend. Then he'll teach you take offs, then landings (the most difficult bit!). Then he'll show you some simple moves and get you to practice them, figure 8's, proceedure turns etc. He might at this satge even teach you some basic aerobatics - loops and rolls. Then its how to cope with "emergencies" like your engine cutting out etc. He'll also teach you loads of stuff to do with safe flying - how to handle your model, what "calls" the club expects on take off and landing, safety with your engine, pre and post flight checks etc.

7. When you've got all this sorted - its time to take your A cert if you want - this is a qualification that demonstrates that you are safe and competant solo pilot. After that the sky's the limit. You can fly solo and fly what you like.

So I hope I've shown you that it's all a very exciting and rewarding path and this sort of structured approach to learning to fly really is the way forward - and fun! Much better than launching a model that's taken you hundreds of hours to build into the wide blue yonder and just hoping for the best!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/06/2012 12:56:12

not miserable here BEB(speak for yourself) smile p ....only concerned that it will cost peter in the short term...money and bruised ego........ many years ago i had a go at solo...r/c myself and it was a waste of time and money...... so passing my experience and words of warning on........which probably in a few year peter will be doing the same........

ken anderson .....ne..1 always look on the bright side dept/ne....

Oh I totally agree Ken, and I myself was one of the posters saying "no don't do this" along with yourself - its just that I felt that after several others had also posted reinforcing that point - and quite understandably - it was perhaps time to give Peter a bit of encouragement. It just occurred to me that we had all focussed on what he shouldn't do and maybe it was time to give him some pointers on what he could do. No criticism of previous posts was intended - honest guv smile

BEB

Welcome to the hobby Peter, There are people who love to build and have someone else who is experienced check it over, give pointers and fly it for you, maybe let you fly with a buddy box when it is safe to do so. Perhaps start off with a trainer so to give you an idea and go from there.

Hi Peter, just got back into this hobby after 20+ years and got a dynam spitfire (electric) if you have ever flown before and determined to fly a warbird I recommend a dynam spit as it fly,s super smooth but do listen to advice on here as I've flown it three times upto now and was shakin like a leaf. Also get a simulator for your pc it does help.

Paul.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

After nearl 6 years of all 60 issues sat in the loft my deagostini spitfire is nearly finished.

I have read all the reports on the suitability of the plane so i have purchased a trainer plane to practice with until i am ready for the spitfire.

I would how evere just like to see the thing working, can someone please tell me what nitro% fuel i should be using ? its a leo.40 glow engine.

I would just like to see it at least go up and down the drive.

Can some one please help ?

Adam

Hi Adam,

I'm not familar with that specific engine - but assuming its a standard-ish glow 40 then 5 or 10% Nitro is plenty. Its enough to just help starting.

I really don't want to be a damp squib, but please think carefully about this. We recently had a posting on here by another beginner who was just wanting to taxi his new model around the village green and was surprised when the thing became airborne on him! The outcome was some damage to his model - it could have been a lot worse - someone could have got seriously hurt.

Obviously it up to you - but as I say I'd think very carefully first. Why not take it to a local club and see if someone there will fire it up for you and you can taxi it around in safety?

BEB

What I would suggest is that you join a club, and then get one of the experts to do the maiden flight. Then get hooked up with a buddy box setup, the expert can do the takeoff and landing and you can have a bit of a turn at flying. You might also find that a club has a trainer available, our does although you probably don't want to come that far.

John

I must admit I admire the perserverance of some of you chaps. The OP posted on the 8th June and now one month on he hasn't acknowledged any of the very wise suggestions to get a trainer and forget breaking his lovely Spitfire. He was either a troll, or not prepared to listen to the good advice given on here! crook Give it up.