repairs and building

Having rebuilt the club trainer a couple of times I was given two wings by a member to repair. One had the outer quarter rebuilt and covered and the other a large section in the middle, roughly half the wing. Total build time for both about 8 hours. Now, he wants to pay me for my time but I have no idea what to ask for. So the question is, how much do you all think is a reasonable rate?

Advert

If any cash it going to change hands, I would expect it to be only for the notional cost of materials -- some balsa, some glue, and some covering -- maybe a fiver.

Other than that, "payment" would be return of the favour in some way at a future date. Unless, that is, you've set yourself up in business and are advertising your repair service to all-comers, in which case you need to give estimates beforehand, and advertise an hourly rate wink

building as a business will never put bread on a table, but it will pay for bits and bobs, if you charge £10 an hour, and this wing repairs taken 8 hours, lets even go down to---£3 an hour, who in their right mind will pay you for your time? £24, as the guys have said, repairs in return for favours, but sadly, the favours never seem to get returned,

Yes, a tricky one.

I used to get asked to design models for people many years ago. I didn't mind and didn't charge.

I stopped because people never built the models that they had asked me to design.

Then I occasionally farmed out some of my designs, gave them al the materials on the condition that they built the model.

Last one took 3 years. I had to get really sarcastic about that. I made that the LAST one.

I suggest either asking for something in trade or specify a favour that you want right now.

Would it not be better to assit with the repair as this would more of a reward for both parties.

Cash or parts is down to you both to work out.

when I repaired a crashed model the club member had thought the model was beyond repair.

What he learned was invaluable to him.

i have built a couple of models for friends.

i only ever charge for materials.

we tend to sit down and work out all the material costs, then add 10%.

But i do ask that i get to keep the plan.

Edited By Tony Bennett on 16/06/2012 09:39:12

Edited By Tony Bennett on 16/06/2012 09:43:08

Buffet my experience (not model related) is never to deal in money where friends and aquaintances are involved - money changes the whole slant of everything. If you enjoyed doing the repairs then that, to me, would be enough and if you didn't,don't do it again. If the guy really appreciated the work then he will give you something, however small, off his own bat so that he's not in (moral) debt to you and if he doesn't then you can refuse his next request without it bothering your conscience.

Posted by bouncebouncecrunch on 16/06/2012 09:08:18:

to Peter Miller, nothing wrong with the plans of models you have designed comes down to the learning curve of the builder.

They were always well within the capabilities for the modeller. The ones that never got built were back in the control line days.

There are 3possible answers, say to him either......

1. Give me what you think it's worth.

2. It took me x years to aquire this skill and then 8 hours of my time, so just give me what you earn for 8 hours work.

3.   It took me 8 hours so you owe me 8 hours of your time, sometime, when I need a favour.

Edited By kc on 16/06/2012 12:40:57

Buffetslayer,

Frankly I wouldn't accept cash other than to cover the cost of the materials used, a return favour is much more reasonable. If that doesn't happen don't do anymore repairs. You may get stung once or twice but you do get to know who you can trust.

Cheers,

Chris.