How local is your 'local flying field'?

JFH

I live in Vermont and fly in New Hampshire. We're close to the state line which is the Connecticut river, and it's about 8 miles to the field. The strip is not very big but it is at one side of about a 40 acre grass field and the club prez is the farmers son! I'm an ex-pat and fly Millingship Spitfires just to show what a real airplane looks like. If I knew how to upload a picture on this site I would. There is another club and field but that is more than 30 miles away but near perfect. Not much trouble with noise in northern VT or NH,

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

I fly my little electric helis in my back & front gardens

In the summer, I fly my smaller electric planes and my electric helis in the local park (5 min walk away), before the dog walkers arrive.

Main flying field is about 5 miles away - about 15 mins. Can fly power 7 days a week from 10:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. (I think).

GG

my two are sutton park and greenacres. i live 2 miles from sutton park and about 7 mile form greenacres. I prefer greenacres as it is a big open feild which can be an advantage for those unpridicted moments with a nice big grass strip. sutton has a short strip but is fun for the challange of landing fast planes and stopping before hitting a ditch :-)

I used to fly in London, and had to drive for a good 30 mins from Shepherd's Bush to get to what is quite a large site (Hanworth Airpark), although the local dog walkers/mini-moto thrashers made it a bit hairy.

Now I'm about 300 yards as the crow flies from the flying site (Bassingbourn airfield), although due to the vagaries of the one-way system on the base I have to drive a circuitous route of about a mile to actually get there.

Otherwise it's the X-twin/Picoo-Z in the back garden :o)

Alistair

• 7 months later...
hi there if u cant find a local club then why dont u start youre own club ask a local landowner if u can borrow a field and start ur own thats what we did cause the nearest was 20 odd miles away near dartford theres 6 of us now and weve had other people asking about it ,the field is only 3mls away so go for it wat u got to lose weve even setup a website for the club its not too good but were getting there.....http://www.freewebs.com/prudenceelle5/ My Website

Our club has four sites which we rotate round to avoid distubing people too often.

They range from 5 miles to 15 miles from my home but I am fairly central. We habe members at one side who won't travel to the far sites which are about 20 miles for them.

I also have a farm which is all set aside right at the end of my lane. I use it occasinally, another modeller uses it regularly for .049s and electric and a couple of othe rmembers fly helicopters there occasionally.

Finally, when the harvest is in I have a huge field right in front of my house where I can also fly but it only remains stubble for a couple of weeks.

Well I have use to a field which a farmer owns and he has let me and my dad fly there for as long as we want on set aside land and we are not paying to use it and he let us cut a strip in the grass so my 0.61 glow cessna can take of whilst another farmer has let us rent some land for our model club which we now have at least 6 members already and we only started setting it up about 4 months ago

Our club field is about 15 minutes drive.We have a nice large field with mown strip for which we pay a small annual fee to the farmer who owns the ground.At the moment we are unable to drive into the field as a precaution against foot and mouth.There is no limit on flying time so when the weather permits there will be someone flying.Visit the club website at www.frmc.org.uk            

R.A.

My site is an 80 mile round trip (Kirkistown) which includes a ferry ride across Strangford Lough in N. Ireland.

There is an airfield on the same side of me (formerly Bishopscourt) but since I'm training, I decided to join a club and get taught properly (looking good so far) then maybe use it when I can't get across to the main site. For a while it was hit and miss whether I made it due to other comitments.

I don't mind cus the guys are a great bunch.

Declan

Ben and Stephen, all of my early flying from the age of 11 was done from Sutton Park, including mostly homebuilt single channel gear, around 1960! The flying site was wide open then, with virtually none of the gorse you have to contend with now. It was 3 miles away and I used to cycle there with a cardboard box strapped to my back containing the model. Great bunch of guys. I learned the hard way! I now live in Aylesbury and the excellent site is about a 10min drive.

Hi,

It's a good club.  The main site is only 10 mins from me for confined strip with rolled & mown (twice a week) grass (usual site 40-60 2-st.)

However, I'm also 25 mins from (a club) larger site - very BIG, but no strip and very hard to take off with a 50, but you can do it... just! - mostly hand-launch - a rough field, mown to 4" length if we ask - not too often! Luxury eh? If you can hack the takoff, the bigger site is amazing!! Lots of range! Loads of rolling hills amid country space!

Regards, Rob

• 2 weeks later...