Help needed......Which Engine?

Dale Gibson

Advert

Well you will get different opinions but for what its worth, when I turned up at the field with a servicable trainer with an iffy MDS engine, the chorus of 'get yourself an irvine 46' was one of the best bits of advice I have ever been given in the hobby.

The Irvine got me through my buddy box phase, and through my 'A.' It's been in a few airframes and currently is providing sterling service in a Wot 4 as I prepare for my 'B' It seems to be producing more power than the SC52 in my son's Wot4

The Jen's are cheap and good, but the experience at our club field is that they take a LOT of running in which given the price of fuel is a false economy.

The OS [I think I'm right in saying] doesn't have bearings, just bushes, and its a 'budget' engine from a premium brand.

OS own Irvine anyway which is another reason to go for the Irvine 46.

Get an 11X7 prop, and make sure you read the running in instructions and follow them. [Don't slow run it, as some will advise you to do. Run it hard for 2 minutes, then let it cool with the piston in the middle of the chamber, and repeat this for a tank - then run it rich in flight.]

Ive never owned an Irvine so cant say either way,

The la`s dont put out as much power as others in the range though ive never had a problem with the 2 i own, theyre only really suited for trainers and 40 size models,

Ive got a Jen and its sweet, for the price of it and just engines back up you cant go wrong, mines in a wot 4 ARTF, like Graham said it was very tight at first so needed a bit of running in but its nothing long ( if i remember just engines will even run it in for you for an extra charge ?), plus theyre quieter than others due to the supplied longer silencers

Posted by GrahamC on 01/07/2012 13:11:48:

Well you will get different opinions but for what its worth, when I turned up at the field with a servicable trainer with an iffy MDS engine, the chorus of 'get yourself an irvine 46' was one of the best bits of advice I have ever been given in the hobby.

I've found MDS engines to run brilliantly, with plenty of power as well. But I do agree that an Irvine 46 would be the best bet for his Tutor 40.

CS

Big thank you for all the replies chaps, it's very much appreciated.

Ok, so the OS LA sounds like a definate no no, the Irvine looks favourite but the OS 46AX looks good but quite a bit more expensive than the Irvine........decisions, decisions!!!......It might be decided on availability.

Thanks again.....Dale.

Have you considered an asp? My asp 40 powered my trainer, as well as a few other planes. It's a great engine and requires a little run in time. Since then, its needed very little tuning and has been rock solid. Now, i dont remember, exactly, but it wasn't expensive by any means. And ive been using it for 2 years sold now. Great investment.

I suggest an Enya 40SS plain bearing as an engine that won't wear out. Plain bearings last longer and dont corrode. Or consider any Enya or Super Tigre.

I know this makes your choice even more difficult so wait until you join a club and see what your instructors and fellow member suggest. Engine and even more so Radios are a bit tribal. You wont want to own an engine or radio that is looked down on by your tribe ( club )

Ask other club members to help you start your engine and ensure they teach you the safe way to start..  A remote needle valve is a good idea as it keeps your fingers further away from the saw blade ( propellor! ) In this respect the Irvine is not as good as the OS46 LA 

Dont fiddle with the needle valves too much, they are probably right straight out of the box, so dont lose the settings and dont let others lose the settings either.

Final piece of advice is there is a huge swing to electric power so dont invest too much in glow engines! Maybe glow engines are availble cheaply secondhand from one of the many people who have switched to electric. Secondhand engines give less trouble than new engines ( on average ) funnily enough.

Edited By kc on 02/07/2012 19:07:33

I'd go for the Irvine .46 it will power you're trainer fine with a little throttle management, and you will still be enjoying it several models later.

I do not have any problems with all the other sugestions people are making, I have a Thunder tiger .46 that I picked up on Ebay very cheap and its a stonking little engine and love it , but boubt its any better than the Irvine.

The Jen is a Chinese engine rebadged for just engines, I'm sure they would not sell junk and its probably a good engine,,,,,,but the the Irvine is definately a good engine!.

OS make great engines I have a couple of their four strokes that are a plesure to own, but the la is very basic.

hope this helps

john

I Have been running an OS 46 LA in my Wot 4 for ten years tuned it when I first got it haven’t touched the needle since. Thing about An OS LA is that it is easy to start easy to maintain and difficult to break.>>

A plain bearing engine does not require the essential maintenance that a ball raced engine does, the LA carb is rock solid and if it stops you have run out of fuel>>

Interesting question......I think all three will drag the airframe around nicely. Given a free choice I would probably go for the Irvine or maybe an SC/ASP engine if it was for me but the OS LA range are very beginner friendly......well made, easy to start & set up & will last until the next Ice Age.....I ran one for a friend & found it to be a great engine although not very powerful as others have noted......

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them so buy the cheapest/one you like the look of.....thumbs up

I am a complete newbie so don't have a lot of experience with engines, in my WOT4 I have an Irvine .53 great engine it has taken quite a bit of running in and setting up though.

I also have an OS .65LA in my Four Star 60 It is a fantastic engine easy to set up and goes like stink the model is recomended for .60 to .70 2 stroke and I was a bit bothered about it being under powered, It takes off on half throttle! so no worries there! Personally I am impressed with my LA.

Dean

Thanks guys,

Well, given my lack of experience of IC engines and being new to RC aircraft, I am thinking that the OS 46 LA might well be my best option (and I nearly ruled it out)......I think that to keep things simple at the moment, when there is so much to learn, would be a good way to go for me.

Now I just have to find one in stock somewhere!!

Thanks for all your comments..thumbs up

Dale.

i ruled it out simply because its got no future, when you transition to a more energetic model, to learn the trade, as it were, you will find the LA to be gutless, i havnt time to look through the thread right now, but irvine seems to crop up a hell of a lot, its up to you, LA does 1 model, Irvine 46 does several

Hi Alan,

I know what you're saying makes perfect sense about the Irvine but if I'm honest the attraction to me with the LA is that several people (not just on here) have praised it's begginer friendly aspects, such as, easy to start and set up etc. but many have said it's under powered too. The shop I bought the Tutor from advised the Irvine 40 but that was all they had in stock. I suppose that as a novice I can't imagine life beyond a Trainer yet.

I have been to my local club a couple of times and found them to be very friendy and they even rigged up one of the guys personal planes to buddy me.....thanks guys!!

So, where i'm at is......membership applied for along with BMFA..... Irvine Tutor, servo's and DX6i bought, just researching which engine will suit me best as a complete novice......but nothing bought yet.......I really appreciate everyone taking the time to post on this thread.......and as you've all guessed by now......still open minded.

Thanks.....Dale.

The Irvine 40 compared to the OS46LA - it's more powerfull, more rugged, has a proper carb (low end fuel metering instead of air-bleed), ball raced bearings (which are replacable if necessary) instead of plain bushed bearings (which ain't) & costs circa £19 less.

OTOH an Irvine 46 would cost £9 less than the OS & have the same advantages plus a bit extra in the power department.

Disavantages ? The Irvines have old style front needle valves whilst the OS has a remote needle adjustment. The Irvines are heavier - but that will be cancelled out by not needing as much if any nose weight added to get the correct cg.

The OS is no easier or harder than the Irvines (or ASP or JEN) for a beginner to set up & operate.

Thanks guys for all your comments, I'm still undecided here but have to be honest, as a noob, I do like the rear needle adjustment on some of these engines!!

Am I being over carefull?.....It is putting me off the Irvine a little bit ..... I've seen some horrific pics of fingertips missing!!

Cheers.....Dale