Very bad day at the field

Saturday while at the field one of our members (A) certificate was standing with another member ( No certificate) flying . when he lost control and plane and crashed outside our field and hit a man while he was fishing. The plane was the new Acro watt foam. The man was cut at the side of his face and ear with the prop .Paramedic, Ambulance and Air Ambulance came. He was taken to Hospital as the Paramedic could not give him the treatment he required at the lake side. Air Ambulance was not required. As yet i have no update as to how the man is. Our field is vey close to the fishing lake, I fear that we may have problems with the farmer that we rent our site off, as he owns the fishing lake as well

Advert

I assume your club/members involved have informed the BMFA? If not, you need to without delay.

Incident Reporting Procedure

(a) Prompt notification of all incidents / accidents that may result in a claim on the policy is essential. Initial telephone contact with the BMFA’s Leicester Office should be within 24 hours of the incident. Reports out of office hours will be recorded on the office answerphone.

(b) The Leicester office will supply you with an incident report form which will become the basis of an initial report of an incident to the Insurer if required. The office staff will give you any specific advice you need to help you complete this form.

(c) Regardless of how serious an incident may be, the reporting procedure outlined above will nearly always be adequate.

(d) It is important advice that, in the event of any incident that may have insurance implications, you should never admit any liability to any third party involved in the incident.

However, when completing the incident report form supplied by the BMFA office, it is essential that you provide a truthful account of events leading to the incident. If you believe that you have any responsibility or liability for the incident then you should declare this on the reporting form. Any declaration you make on the BMFA incident report form will NOT result in you being penalised in any way.

(e) The CAA has set out procedures for reporting more serious incidents in CAP 658 and these are set out later in this handbook together with more advice from the BMFA on the subject.

Edited By Martin Harris on 23/07/2012 23:50:52

My opinion, no he should not have been flying the Acrowot, but thats only my opinion, others may think different. As a club we are not required to have an A or B to fly on our own. He was being supervised by a man with an (A) Not sure why Tom Wright 2 wants this thread closed. ? When these kind of things happen they need to be delt with and not kept quiet.

Edited By CARPERFECT on 24/07/2012 08:02:53

A bigger concern would be if the case came to court, then could this discussion be brought forward as evidence? ie club liability?

As for the incident itself, I think any of us who remember flying in the 70s and 80s will have had fly-aways for various reasons, and will know that it's pure luck whether or not anyone gets hurt.   These days it still happens, but a lot less often due to better equipment and stricter club inspired supervision of learners.  Unfortunately our letigious society means it's more of an issue now.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 24/07/2012 09:04:04

It was obviously an accident, and as we know they do happen everyday in all forms of sports, hobbies, workplaces, on public or private land. I was hit on the cheek by a golf ball while walking past a golf course, but it could have easily hit a passing car windscreen or a baby in a pram and really caused some damage but it didn't. but back to the main point if the fliers had approached the seen and given names and assistance i'm sure only good will come of it.

Cheers and good luck from bbc.

Posted by David Davis on 24/07/2012 06:01:34:

If the non-certificated member was a novice, should he have been flying an Acrowot?

Where does it state he was a novice?

Like others here I am sure (I can't be the only person), I have many years of flying experience with many different types of aircraft but I do not have any certificate to state how good / bad / experienced I am. Does that make me a novice - no!

I have actually trained a few people to go from no flight to A certificate passes first time. I have been to a couple of the clubs nearby and either the hours do not suit or I have issues with the way the club operates. So therefore I have no desire to join either or to try and get a certificate since I have no need.

I fly with a group of like minded fliers in a lovely bit countryside and enjoy it all the more for not having the false regimentation of club rules. We fly with respect to each other, the surrounding property and other users of the countryside.

I hope there is no come back to the club with regards to this incident and I hope fishing & flying relations are maintained to the benefit of all.

In absolute fairness, Andy, David did say if, thus raising the question, as opposed to making the statement. But I also have to agree, the inference is that the pilot was a novice, otherwise why would someone (presumably) need to stand with him?

Sadly a simple accident, which I’m sure nobody would wish for, and a really unlucky coincidence, it just happened that the model and fisherman were in the same place at the same time; and when you think of all the probable surrounding wide open area…

However…… this situation must have been in existence for perhaps a long time, surely the fishing lake had not suddenly come into existence, so I’m wondering why some thought had perhaps not been given to this very possibility?
We operate in an area with a footpath, so there are walkers, often quite close by, the strip butts on to a track, so there is the occasional passing motor vehicle, there are horse riders and runners too, but we all co-exist very well. We do have some concern for these people, though, so all beginners will fly on a buddy lead, until they are deemed proficient enough to go solo. This is perhaps not a 100% safety procedure, I’m not sure there is one, but we think it very much does prevent dangerous crashes such as the one described by CARPERFECT. We’d only have to make one mistake, I fear…

Also we do have examiners, and generally give strong encouragement to obtain the Certificates, but by the same token, if someone came along that was an experienced pilot he can fly ad lib forever without any qualifications. In this respect, we prefer practical experience to tickets and feel there is no need to make anything compulsory. The only other rules are general safety, as agreed by the membership as a whole. I agree with Andy, you don’t necessarily need to pass a test to be a safe and proficient pilot.

With any luck, the modellers and the fishermen are on good terms, so this will be kept down to a low-key profile.

And I certainly hope the gentleman involved is ok, too. Certainly I wish all Good Luck to getting all satisfactorily resolved all round.

PB