Experience of Giant Shark

I have been a GC user for some time, for various reasons I have tended to buy more from HK, which have become my benchmark for mail order & MS.

This week I stuffed in one of my models, breaking the motor shaft.

The motor had been purchased from GC. I went to the site looking for replacement motor shafts and covering film.

To my surprise they stocked the motor shafts, at a reasonable price.

Unfortunately all film is out of stock, just as it always has been (so it seems).

I am finishing a new model of at the moment and find that I am running short of small machine screws. I found that GS have some in stock, at 6 BA, ideally I would have liked 4 BA and M2 *20mm.

In short I put a small order in for motor shafts and 6 BA screws, all for a modest cost. Also the P&P was reasonable.

Today 2 days later the parcel has arrived. GS suggests that the time would be 5 days, so bettering there estimate by a good margin.

Am I pleased, well they will go back on my list for consideration for modelling items. The downside and it is a downside, the stock level is no better than when GC.

Advert

So many of these places have most things 'out of stock. I am beginning to think they don't actually have any stock at all and don't intend to.. You order, they find one at a local model shop somewhere, do a deal with him, and then sell it on to you. While all this is slowly going on they have full use of your money.

One I looked at yesterday has near enough nothing at all, though it advertises itself as 'Huge'..

Erfolg I find Giant Shark an excellent supplier, when they have what I want in stock.

It's quite frustrationg to go there and find they don't.

So quite often it's my first port of call, not really expecting to find what I need. But when I do, I order and receive the items much quicker than from HK. (PS Not used HK UK yet).

I expect that the problem places like this have, is that customers keep buying all the stock. To keep the prices down they probably order by the shipload, when that is in stocks rise and slowly get depleted, until another shipment arrives. Levels are probably all down to cashflow.

Chris,

Very true what you say, shops are for buying things, they are not museums or exhibitions. But it is very frustrating when they advertise a lot and have got very little. I'm about 50 miles west of 'Sussex Model Centre'. At least 90% of their stuff is shown as 'In stock' and actually is.That is how it should be done. A phone call for a final check, a shortish drive, and I can be building it the same day. Results in a satisfied, returning, customer. So different from the 'They never have anything, so I won't even bother to look' sort of place.

Mark

Yep I agree it is very convenient, which is where we make our choice. Generally I would think that the LMS can stock back up again pretty quickly from a UK based distributor who of course also has to keep stock and make his mark up.

I think it's great that we have all these different options. Long may it continue.
It's probably a good thing that none of them are fully stocked, cheap and perfect. Otherwise the others wouldn't stand a chance.

It is easy to say that the LMS has pretty much what they advertise, as what is advertised is very little compared with online retailers.

I think another way of looking at things, when I go to my LMS (localish) often what I actually want is not there. I do not know it is out of stock, I just know I cannot find exactly what I want. I then compromise or go else where.

What I find frustrating about GC is film covering never seems to be there. I assume it comes in and goes out, almost in the same day.

As for small screws, other than in silly low volume packets, they seem unavailable in MS. By boxes from a wholesaler and you are talking almost pennies, maybe a pond or so for a 100. In a model shop, a pound or so for 4 or 6.

As for the wait, it is not a problem, I do not have to set aside a half day to go to the LMS, and spend £5-8 in fuel.

Just want more stock in GS, everything else works for me.

I've used GS 3 times in the last few months - batteries, esc, motor and a few other bits and have had a good, quick service. When I couldn't get the battery charger to work, thier customer service was excellent, and that was at 5.00pm on a Friday!

Films apart, the thing I like about GS is that even if they don't have the exact item I was looking for, a couple of minutes browsing usually finds a near equivalent which then arrives within a couple of days. My (not so) LMS has a web site listing a fantastic range of products. Unfortunately few are actually stocked, and there's no indication on the site as to what is really available and what is pie in the sky.

This is sadly a wide spread problem. I was looking at Lipo's on the HK (UK) site a day or two ago - well over half of all the listed 3s types (including the ones I was looking for sad) were out of stock. Not impressed by a set up that has over 50% of the advertised range not available. One plus point I suppose is that at least they did tell me they were out of stock!

Now compare that with Kings Lynn Models. I wanted a particular airframe - they had it, they had the best price I could find and it was delivered (at reasonable cost considering the size of the package) the next day. I then needed two electric motors and ESC's - again Kings Lynn were the cheapest I could find for the models I wanted, again in stock and again next day delivery at reasonable cost. Similarly I recently ordered some stuff from Webbies, I ordered late at night, 9:00am next morning Ady comes on the phone, they haven't got one bit, but will get it soon. Sure enough Wednesday I get an email telling me the stuff has been shipped - Thursday I have it.

I cite these two examples to show that the LMS can "do it" at least as well, if not better, than the giant internet-only outlets. If Kings Lynn and Steve Webbs can do it so can others. The LMS can fight back. But it needs determined staff with vision and a will to provide top line service - ah, perhaps there's the rub!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/08/2012 09:37:45

Where ever the retailer is located (as in BEB's contribution), it is still mail order. It does however indicate what is necessary in todays trading environment.

BEB must have been unlucky with HK with respect to Lipos. The main draw back I have found with Lipos from HK is the delay, approx. 2-3 weeks. The price is right though. In the past GC were good for Lipos, both price and delivery time.

Although not related specifically to modelling although my anemometer, I recently looked at CR2032 batteries in ASDA, only to find they were £4.50 for two. At home I found that Toolstation sold CR2032 for 0.99p each. Just shows even on the high street you can pay over twice as much for the same items.

Edited By Erfolg on 16/08/2012 11:29:56

Perhaps we should be a little more philosophical about this subject.

Shopping in Tesco or Lidl, I don't expect the same level of service as when I shop in Harrods (went once, bought some crisps, got the bag..........smile).

By shopping at GS, HK or other outlets where I'm saving 30-50% on costs, I accept that their supply/service may fall short of expectations from time to time and whilst it can be a bit irritating, I really have no cause to complain.

The good UK stores and LMS's who hold the stock and deliver promptly earn their premium, IMHO, but they must keep on top of the game.

Horses for courses, really.........smile

Pete

Totally agree Pete, I think that is pretty much what BEB was indicating.

I feel the same as you indicate, other I have no irritation at all whilst waiting, just part of the process. Then again, I am not a commercial enterprise, where time is money (other than the public sector, who think they behave as commercial organisations). Since retiring, I have become generally more relaxed about time scales and deadlines.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 15/08/2012 17:14:19:

Mark

Yep I agree it is very convenient, which is where we make our choice. Generally I would think that the LMS can stock back up again pretty quickly from a UK based distributor who of course also has to keep stock and make his mark up.

I think it's great that we have all these different options. Long may it continue.
It's probably a good thing that none of them are fully stocked, cheap and perfect. Otherwise the others wouldn't stand a chance.

Withe dependance on stocks from China, I am not sure this is now true. I recently decided to purchase a Parkzone Extra and so I rang my LMS who I like to support despite being nearly a 40 mile round trip. His price was right, but the distributor, Horizon, had none in stock so he couldn't supply. I bought one from Kings Lynn Models instead for the same price.

Coming back on thread, I have used GC quite a lot and was generally satisfied with my purchases. I recently tried the new GS and found standards had been maintained.

For some reason which I cannot explain, from day one I kept a log of everything I have bought from GC. When I brought this up to date with my purchases from GS, I noted that the cost of every item had fallen by up to 50p

• 2 weeks later...

Well done GS !! I don't believe it .

Within 20 hours of an on line order ,my charger & props arrived.I was thinking that I would have to wait 'til tuesday (bank holiday /sunday and all that) Congratulations and thoroughily recommend them .As good as GC !

Now it will take me a week or so to work out how to use the bloomin' charger I expect !

Last week I needed a new lipo and found Giant Shark.

One 2S 20C 7.4v lipo (brand was Gens Ace) was £3.67 and although I didn't expect great quality at such a low price it transformed my gentle flying vintage model into a racer, capable of aerobatics! What I paid in this case certainly doesn't equal what I got! Also GS dispatched order the next day and it arrived 3 days later, just in time for the good weather!

Last April I bought a mains/battery charger off GC, this week I contacted GS because I think it's got a fault on NiMh cycling - it reports very low. I've chucked about three nimh packs because of this, but the most recent occurence I decided to get a second opinion of the pack off my other charger which said it was fine. I wasn't optimistic but GS have asked for it to be returned for checking. No quibble because I didn't buy it last week, no quibble because I asked for the return postage to be refunded.

I also explained that I wanted it exchanged if only because the cooling fan shrieks and it's driving me nuts! Now to see if they replace it...

Hi All

As the last GS thread got locked off ,just a quick report on my latest order which arrived today short of four items .

I made a call and sent an e mail ,GS responded to both within the hour confirming the shortage would be dispatched today .

Well done GS excellent service ,and very good stock levels at the moment thumbs up.

Tom.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 07/09/2012 15:58:07