Laser Appreciation Society

Frank Skilbeck

John,

if you go to the old web site: laserengines.co.uk

You will find engine diameters when you click the picture of each engine. Laser 120 is 91 of height and Laser 150 is 99mm of height

P.s. the weight specs are not, for some reason, very accurate.

-Artto

Edited By Artto Ilmanen on 12/09/2015 07:50:17

Edited By Artto Ilmanen on 12/09/2015 07:51:07

Advert

No problem, Percy. I think Laser might benefit from collaborating with some digital marketing / media students or trainees to get their website to the same high quality level of their engines without investing too much on marketing..

It's true that now many of us may get confused when it comes to find technical info when browsing across the new website. Although it's said in the new website that the old one is still functioning.

Edited By Artto Ilmanen on 12/09/2015 09:05:16

Agreed Artto... there must be a SocMed or web student out there who could bring these sites together and promote Laser? To have two sites is a bit confusing, where current information and pricing is on one and legacy information is on another.

Perhaps it is Laser's intention or they have not got around to it yet as I know the company is quite a busy enterprise.

Artto, it's a 150 then and is in good order other than a missing muffler clamp and a prop driver that looks like some vandal has taken a Stillson wrench to but I see on Laser site that spares are available at reasonable prices. Enya 90 has been my largest motor to date so will now be looking for an airframe to put the Laser in.Cheers John.

Posted by john davies 8 on 12/09/2015 12:04:44:

Artto, it's a 150 then and is in good order other than a missing muffler clamp and a prop driver that looks like some vandal has taken a Stillson wrench to but I see on Laser site that spares are available at reasonable prices. Enya 90 has been my largest motor to date so will now be looking for an airframe to put the Laser in.Cheers John.

John,

great that you got it sorted. If you check the backplate you can find initials there that tell the year of manufacturing, etc, too. Just drop an email to [email protected]

Posted by Jon Harper on 30/08/2015 21:26:16:

Artto I am using the pro synth 2000 and although it is supposedly a custom oil I find it doubtful that it would be cost effective for a synth oil manufacturer to design a whole new oil just for a slice of the uk glowfuel market. So, it could be anything.

John,

I got a reply from Mr. Frings at Fuchs / Aerosave:

"...Pro-Synth 2000" is an unknown fuel for me. AeroSave will not be produced anymore. There are still some remaining quantities which are sold this year. Because of "Dual Use" possibility it is not allowed to use it outside of Germany. "

So it seems the oi is not Aerosave. Another thing is Aerosave is no more produced which means I need to find a new oil which is also easily available in the Nordics. Klotz Techniplate & Super Techniplate are but they do not have good corrosion protection (unlike Aerosave) and their flashpoint is only 215 degrees celsius compared to 260 degrees celsius of ML70.

Posted by Artto Ilmanen on 12/09/2015 13:19:10:
Posted by john davies 8 on 12/09/2015 12:04:44:

John,

great that you got it sorted. If you check the backplate you can find initials there that tell the year of manufacturing, etc, too. Just drop an email to [email protected]

No initials on the backplate which I removed to see inside,all good just a bit of castor residue and compression is very good. The mounting lug has letters AWM M03 year 2003 ? Purchased for £80 from local modeler who was moving abroad.A bargain I recon.

While we are sizing up Lasers, I have a plane in which I installed an old Laser I acquired years ago. One of the early forward sloping plug jobs. Couldn't start it, and slipped it out, and put in a Laser 80. Direct replacement, same crank case width, bolt spacings, same hight to rocker cover, easy peasy. I have started to wonder however what my motor is. I have always thought it was a laser 90. Am I right, it fits 80 mounts, and when I weighed them both to check if I were shifting the centre of gravity in the engine change, they weighed the same to a few grammes. Anyone know if it was the 75 or the 90 which was the same size as the current Laser 80.

hi guys, just a few tid bits of info for you all.

Regarding the websites the reason we have 2 is because we had two domains pointing at the same (but different)host. When it came time to update the website we got a new domain host for .com who also hosted the new content for the new site. .co.uk was left live just in case the new site had problems. The plan was then to close the original content host and move the .co.uk domain to the new host and tie it all together. Alas, I simply have not had time.

Engine identification has always been a bit of a pain. For reasons I cannot fathom sizes were never stamped on the engines. Now its easier as they do all look different. If there is any doubt about what you have either send me a photo of the engine or post it here. AWM M03 is the initials of whoever bought it and 'Metric thread 2003' for the year of manufacture.

As for the accuracies of the weights, it depends on which series of the engine is being weighed and what is with it. Currently the weights on the website are for the most up to date spec engine and it is the total weight of engine, exhaust, rocker cover and propnut/washer.

What else...

The 80 replaces the 75 and the 100 replaces the 90.

Oil will always be a talking point. I had a chat with PAW about a plain bearing 09 diesel of theirs and they suggest no less than 30% oil. I have run mine on 20% for ages and had no issues at all. It all came about when I was playing with a laser diesel that would flatly refuse to run correctly on the 20% castor diesel fuel.

The investigation of lower oil content fuels came about following testing our petrol prototype. I am down to 2% fuel with a fuel consumption of under half what a glow engine would use. So in theory that is 1% oil and the engine is as happy as can be. I even stripped it to check the crankpin for damage (as the big end is the critical component) and all is well.

I think that is everything. Any more for any more?

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. I was sent this at work today by a chap in the Czech Republic.

He has built a pretty awesome Hercules powered by 4 Laser 100's. Check out the photo below and also go to his website ( http://www.rchercules.cz/index.php ) to see the videos.

• 1 month later...

Jon,

This is what you wrote on the "New Laser engines, what do you want? -thread:

"Hi Flight

Your comments about the lubrication properties of petrol are correct in a two stroke where the fuel flows through the crankcase. In a 4 stroke however there is only ever oil in the crankcase as all the fuel (methanol or petrol) should have been burnt in the combustion chamber. As a result the lubricity of the fuel is more or less irrelevant in the case of a 4 stroke."

How about the cylinder liners and the pistons & rings? Does the lubricty of the fuel play any role here?

(I didin't want to go too far from the original topic of the "New Laser engines, what do you want?", hence my post here)

Artto

Hi Artto.

The rings and cylinder are lubed by the oil left after combustion. It clings to the cylinder wall and also lives in the gaps behind the piston rings. The lower piston ring pumps the oil from this gap into the crankcase where the rotating parts splatter it all over the place!

In short, its unlikely to make any difference at all