Laser Appreciation Society

Frank Skilbeck

Looks great David - looking forward to it arriving sometime soon hopefully!

Jon, thanks for the video you posted somewhere showing you setting the main needles on a Laser twin. Pictures speak a thousand words they say. Do you have a video of setting the idle needles (on a single would be fine)? Its something I have always struggled with.

Another great thing about the Lasers is that the idle screw is so large and accessible and turnable by finger and thumb - much better than the tiny hidden away ones in many other makes of engine which have you playing around with small screwdrivers.

Edited By GrahamWh on 15/01/2019 20:19:13

Advert

Posted by GrahamWh on 15/01/2019 20:18:54:

Jon, thanks for the video you posted somewhere showing you setting the main needles on a Laser twin. Pictures speak a thousand words they say. Do you have a video of setting the idle needles

tadaaaa!

Its a similar principal on the twin, you just move both needles thats all. When one cylinder starts to bog down as you see in the video richen it back so it stops bogging but keep leaning the other until it does.
Don, its at least 12 years old but yes...i know, and i cont do anything about it

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jon,

A club member presented his model for a test run (with a Laser 90 in it) and after a little tinkering (not me!) it started and ran up for the first time in about 4 years. It sits inverted in the model with a full cowl, but with a fair amount of ventilation.

Couple of questions?

• Had a quick look on the web site but could not find the recommended prop for a 90, would the 80 recommendations be close enough (we were getting just short or 9k on the prop we had)
  • Should the tank vent be left loose to dangle vertically down or better to fit on to a forward facing "pitot" tube?
  • I noticed fuel dripping from the main needle once stopped, does the owner need to obtain some o rings or is there another fix. I didn't fancy taking the cowl off in yesterdays 30+ heat too look at the carb
  • A bit late now, but Is there anything else we need to check before committing to aviation?

Thanks for your time

The 90 was developed into the 100 so you can use those props. Look for 7500-9000 at full chat.

You dont want the vent to dangle, make up a pitot

fuel dripping is 99% of the time caused by the fuel tank being way up in space. Lower it to prevent dripping and make the engine run properly.

Not too much else to say other than to tell him not to break it as i cant supply any spares for it as the 90 was discontinued in 1992

Posted by Chris Walby on 27/08/2019 14:54:09:

Thanks Jon,

I'll let him know about the tank and pitot tube. plus I'll introduce him to the rates switch.....his last model had high rates and no expo...how much fun I had with that "Extra" I would rather not repeat!

PS the CofG is just behind the LE...might need some lead as well wink

Wow....I bet a certain part of your anatomy which twitching like a rabbits nose!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not really the season for troublesome Warbirds and I though 4 screws, 4 bolts and a throttle linkage was hardly good reason to have my Laser 180 doing nothing. Far better if find a nice airframe that can allow me to run the engine through the winter months and have some fun at the same time.

Along comes a Hyperion YAK 54, old, but in very good condition and just the job. Servos fitted with ease and the 180 located inverted + a couple of tanks linked together and hay presto!

Saturday was the maiden and a couple of flights today with no issues. Sounds lovely as it growls around the sky and will just about do unlimited vertical..... or very big stall turns.

That will do nicely sir!

20191020_113130.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was light wind, bright and sometime sunny!

It would be a shame not to tale little and large (for me) out for a bit of fun.

20191029_105853.jpg

The Acrowot with a 70 in it is just bags of fun, easy to fly and throw around highly recommended combination - Thanks Jon.

The YAK is taking a bit more learning and it seems quite vice less, but I don't want to find out too low. Anyway the 180 is great fun at 1/2 throttle with an occasional poke up to full throttle for those unlimited climbs.

Five flights and that was me worn out for the morning....back to the hanger for the next Laser powered build wink

An old laser 60 previously owned by Jon sprang to life today in a nice little Black Horse Spitfire 40 owned and flown by my clubmate Nick . I must say the engine flew the model really well . Nick a few really great flights and perfect landings with it today despite our soft and quite long winter grass. The plane has fixed UC but moving the wire angles well forward allowed lovely take offs and landing with no nose overs despite the soft conditions. It was great to see the lovely laser 60 go so well. Nick was using an 11x8 prop but maybe a 12x7 should be better ?