Laser Appreciation Society

Frank Skilbeck

Posted by Jon Harper on 25/11/2015 08:41:24:

Hi Artto.

The rings and cylinder are lubed by the oil left after combustion. It clings to the cylinder wall and also lives in the gaps behind the piston rings. The lower piston ring pumps the oil from this gap into the crankcase where the rotating parts splatter it all over the place!

In short, its unlikely to make any difference at all

Thanks Jon!

• 1 month later...
Advert

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 22/01/2016 08:48:27:

They are only exposed if you knock off the undercarriage. If you manage that, the well being of those pipes is likely to be low on your list of concerns

Very true! cheeky

Not that there was a problem I was more after ideas of a more (maybe) elegant solution!

-Artto

• 1 month later...

My GP Super Chipmunk with Laser 150 requires a custom silencer as the stock one does not fit inside the cowling.

My field is not very noise conscious so I could use straight pipe, too. However, I'm tempted to try to make one by myself although I'm aware of the possible challenges. I think if I test an absorption type silencer or one without any baffles just like the stock one I should be in safe waters. At least I think if try a solution which is less restrictive than the stock one I won't break anything! wink

However, I appreciate any hints on the topic. Such as if Lasers require a small backpressure or are they happy with just a free flowing silencer?

-Artto

As Aerosave oil seems to be discontinued I bought a litre of Klotz Original Techniplate for testing. I know Klotz, EDL, ML-70 do the job as good lubricant in the fuel mix for Laser engines.

However, with respect to smooth idle or anti-corrosion abilities is any of these oils superior than the others as experienced by Laser engine enthusiasts?

thanks, Artto

• 1 year later...

Just run my first Laser purchased from an elderly club member who was moving away.

Some parts were not with the motor but Jon at Laser identified it as a 150 and sent the missing bits to me in no time.

Started second flick with chicken stick and ran just fine, lovely sound.Well pleased.smiley

One more thing to sort. What to put it in?

• 1 month later...

I was led to this imposter by a customer earlier and am staggered by the price it has reached. These were clones of laser engines and according to my boss were made in Africa somewhere about 20 years ago. They were absolutely useless and conrod failures were common.

The item description did amuse me though

**LINK**

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 16/06/2017 12:28:05

• 2 months later...

My Laser 100 seems run in now too. After 8 x15 minute flights and the normal 20 min home set up run it should be too . A surprising motor . Seems very happy revving on my Seagul P47 on a 15x8 and powers it very very well. It seems to have a lot more torque than my OS95v. It must be the long stroke helping. A great engine . If I can fit another in my 63 in LA 7 I'm building this winter I will .

Hi Manish

I am afraid that I did not take a video so I cannot share the experience with you. However it was somewhere on a level with transcendental meditation, only with a delicious noise...... rainbow

Seriously, what a lovely engine! Started on the first swing and never missed a beat. Clean and with no oil leaks it made me wonder why I ever bother with Japanese engines. It is swinging a 15x8 at present but I may see if I can get a prop with less pitch. The engine is going in a very large vintage model so I don't need all out performance.

Pete