New forum ideas

Martyn K

Advert

I agree regarding enhancing the search tool.

Just a thought, when clicking 'create new thread', what about an automatic search on the proposed title, and an invitation to join an existing thread (rather than create a new one) if the topic is already covered.

It might save the mods time from having to merge parallel threads on the same topic...

Birthday pressies at 70? Great but unfair on those past 70 ( I am now 72 for instance. ) As for previewing a post. Just look at what you have just typed and use the cursor and delete and back back buttons to correct / edit your script. Then when happy with it press add post.

It aint rocket etc etc.

To be honest, thinking about it a bit more, searching within a thread is by far the most sensible new search requirement to request, because (as far as I can see), it's the only search that can't be achieved in other ways.

For example, suppose I wanted to see the 'Chip-Shop' thread, but I'd forgotten its title. Typing "chippy" into the forum search box doesn't find it, but just doing an external Google search on "model flying chippy" gets it as the first hit.

Similarly, to find a word on a page, I can just hit control+F and use the browser search facility.

The only thing I can't find a way to do, is search a thread across multiple pages, without laboriously control+F-ing on every page!

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 02/04/2015 12:38:29

Posted by The Wright Stuff on 02/04/2015 12:37:19:

The only thing I can't find a way to do, is search a thread across multiple pages, without laboriously control+F-ing on every page!

That's exactly it. Searching through a thread that has 50+ pages for a bit on covering, glassing, soldering etc. isn't much fun currently. sad

Posted by onetenor on 02/04/2015 12:37:03:

Birthday pressies at 70? Great but unfair on those past 70 ( I am now 72 for instance. ) As for previewing a post. Just look at what you have just typed and use the cursor and delete and back back buttons to correct / edit your script. Then when happy with it press add post.

It aint rocket etc etc.

you haven't had it time out on yet then?

A more efficient way of uploading multiple images please..

I've uploaded a couple of hundred in the last few months and to say its the most tedious process is an understatement!

I take more photos but end up being very selective because of the onerous task of getting them into an image gallery.

Jez

Posted by Nigel Day on 02/04/2015 08:48:46:

How about the ability to search WITHIN a thread? The other search options allow someone to search for a topic or item and brings up the threads. In a long thread it would be very useful to be able to look for instances of 'cowl', 'cockpit' or 'servo' for example.

To search for anything in any post in any thread use Google with the site: option, eg:

googlesearch.jpg

Cheers
Phil

Thanks Phil but that's a bit sledgehammer and nut.

That would give me ALL threads where say 'cockpit' was mentioned - and it doesn't tell me which thread each search entry is in either.

I want to search within one specific, long thread. Shouldn't be too difficult to provide but I appreciate it needs to go in the pile with all the other requests.

Yeah, but for now you cant Nigel.
My point was that right now, as the forum stands, you can use Google

You can easily narrow it down by including a word or phrase you remember from the thread, or a username.
You can also exclude stuff you dont want by prefixing with a minus, eg:

cockpit -programming -SX -multiplex site:modelflying.co.uk

Edited By Phil Green on 03/04/2015 19:19:04