Are you still flying entirely on 35MHz?

Still fully 35MHz, and will be staying that way as far as I can see.

I can't justify all the costs from a new Tx as my FF7 doesn't have a module to the 7+ Rx's I would need.

I will also be staying with NIMh Rx battery packs instead of going to 2s lipos and regulators as seems to be heading towards the norm.

baz

Advert

Well I have already responded on this and confirmed I have 35 mhz kit but also 4 no old gliders that have 27 mhz Futaba M Series radio fitted that still works. (Flair Heron, Micro Mold Cub, Sprite, Plus one other,name forgotten)

A couple of years ago I flew my ancient Junior 60 at one of the Medway club free flight and 'Radio Assist' days. The proprietors of Avicraft were there so I complained that my 27 mhz Sanwa 'Mini 2' radio kit which I bought from them in 1975 and had fitted to the Junior 60 had just failed.! Well with a new receiver and two standard mini-servos the radio now works again but will of course be relegated to model boat use. The Mini 2 transmitter which has a metal case accepts standard dry cells. As I have always removed them when the system has not been used there has been no 'black wire' failure.

There must be other modellers with old usable radio kit?

• 3 weeks later...

I fly both as like most I have a large investment in 35Mhz equipment but needed 2.4Ghz for my large and electrically noisy Electric models. Now in my case rather than take two radio to the field I converted my JR PCM9X2 to use both 2.4Ghz and 35 without having to change modules.

I did this by retaining the 35Mhz module in place and installing an FrSky 2.4Ghz Hack module within the radio. I use a DPDT switch to change between bands. Works very well but just have to make 100% sure that I remember to extend the aerial when flying 35Mhz.

Most of my 35Mhz receivers are the Corona Synthesised units as, although they are PPM, they have failsafe on every channel. Also their noise rejection is second to none including when compared to my JR RS77S synthesised units.

My biggest fear with using 35Mhz is the number of people using it on cars and boats. I recently sold 2 35Mhz sets on eBay both of which went to people intending to use them for ground based models. Of course I made them aware that this was illegal but both said they didn't care.

Big change from my post on 28/11/12, as above I have that much 35mhz gear that I'm not going to change stuff over but the price of 2.4g gear is so cheap in comparison all new stuff will be 2.4g. I hadn't heard anything about hack modules until did a lot of searching so now I have installed a frsky 2.4g hack module on a switch so I can switch between the 2 frequencies. It was so easy to install too.

baz

Yes the installation of the hack module is very easy HOWEVER if doing it on a JR set one MUST switch both the PPM and the positive feed in order to totally isolate the modules from one another. If you don't you will end up with a floating ground. Thus far I have done the PCM9XII as in my original post, a JR-378 and a JR-3810 and had the same problem on all three. Hence why I used a DPDT switch rather than a SPDT.

On all other radios you just need to isolate the +VE and have the PPM common between both modules. and can use a SPDT.

FrSky is without question the best of the aftermarket 2.4Ghz solution (perhaps maybe the best overall). For anyone looking for a really cheap 2.4Ghz solution however seriously consider the Flsky 9X radio, also sold as the Turnigy 9X V2, IMAX 9X and EURGLE 9X. All are the exact same radio. The software on the radio's from the factory is "OK", but with a bit of soldering the radio's can be modded to accept an open source firmware that totally transforms it.

Whether one mods it or not the 2.4Ghz receivers are dirt cheap at around £6-£9 depending on whether you want 6 or 8 channels. Only downside is they have no real failsafe although one can use really cheap £3 R/C Car failsafes that work extremely well. The reality is that the range of the receivers is well beyond normal flying range so F/S is only really something to worry about if you are a particularly nervous sort or you have a very expensive model.

My JR PCM9X2 is my main radio but I do own two of the above mentioned radios, one Turnigy and the other a FlySky which I bought to buddy with my son. The were dirt cheap at +- £45 each so for £90 I got two 8 channel fully computerised sets that at the price I really don't care if they get busted. I did change the software on both as it truly does open up a whole new world of programming and capabilities (and because I am a bit of a geek smile )

Edited By Propnut on 16/12/2012 22:20:34

Edited By Propnut on 16/12/2012 22:21:45

Made a clean break 2 years ago from 35mhz to 2.4 Ghz, sold all my receivers and a 2 year old ,at the time, Tx.

This was prompted by realising just after take off that the Tx was set to the wrong model. I now use exclusively Spektrum gear and have had no problems,and I can't set the wrong model.

I have been impressed by the service from Horizon Hobby, I sent a damaged Rx to them for repair and received a new latest spec from them as replacement F.O.C.

I love my Multiplex 3030 and I have a number of high quality 35 Mhz DSP receivers so most of my models are 35Mhz. However I've made an add-on 2.4gHz system for my 3030 using a FrSky DiY module and it works really well.

I'm flying electric mor these days and brushless esc generate lots of noise which 35Mhz DSP receivers can cope with OK but 2.4gHz receivers do it even better. I'm very impressed with FrSky and they use a true frequency shifting system which makes them very secure from an RF point of view. So I'm waiting for the new FrSky transmitters to become available before abandoning my faithful Mux 3030 and even then I'll keep it for some models.

I've recently started playing with Eflite Blade helicopters for the winter indoor season so, much against my better judgement, I've bought a Spektrum DX6i solely for my MSRx and 120SR electric helis. I'm quite impressed with it but it isn't as flexible as the Multiplex.

Perhaps the fact that I'm a retired electronic design engineer is something to do with my radio choices

Geoff

Ihave been on 2.4 since horison first launched it in the UK it came as a Godsend and just in the nick of time as our field was being swamped with inerference every Suday from 1pm to 5pm.No one ever found why,but I went over to 2.4 and never looked back.I still have 4 Futaba skysport 6A sets on 35 meg and also my old futaba gold .In conclusion flying is all on 2.4 now with a JR 11X on DSM2.

Posted by weasel on 27/11/2012 22:07:39:

Like Paul says Why Not. I have quite a few models to convert and changing to 2.4 would cost me quite a fortune, if i was starting out new then yes 2.4 would be the way foward.
But why get rid of a perfectly servicable 35meg set up when you have no issues with it !!!!!

Weasel 35Meg old timer......wink 2

Likewise.

I use both.

I use Spektrum 2.4 gear with Spektrum receivers in treasured models and with Orange receivers in more disposable hacks.

Most of my 35Meg stuff is Futaba and I see no point in throwing away, or selling for a song, perfectly usable stuff and spending money on replacement receivers as we seem to get little or no interference when flying FM on our site. In fact, the only time I've had an apparent loss of control recently, occured on two occasions when flying my Irvine 46 powered WOT 4 on 2.4 with an Orange receiver. Apparently this was due to the tiny receiver aerial not picking up the signal for some reason. The model appeared to fall uncontrolled for quite some distance before control was restored. I've subsequently fitted a remote receiver/aerial and the problem has disappeared.

I even have an old black plug Sanwa Vanguard radio which must be over 30 years old and which used to guide my Acro Wot until an awkward deadstick arrival rendered the old model beyond economical repair. I was thinking of putting it into a Dave Smith Excelsior but in deference to the model's potential speed and the age of the radio will probably put it into a vintage model!

I went 2.4 after experiencing radio interference at our club field. There's one spot, unfortunately on the landing approach, if the wind is in that direction, where many others have had glitches on 35. I did as well so bought a DX7 and never looked back. However.. I got a partly completed Cox Thermal Hopper glider for £5 and thought I'd adapt it for sloping. The glider is about 55" span with plastic fuselage and foam wings, intended for a Cox .049 glow with just rudder/elevator. I made a noseblock to fit onto the motor mount and fitted 2 servos. I didn't have a spare full range Spektrum rx, so am thinking about flying it from the slope on 35 so I've resurrected my Futaba Skysport 6 Tx and put one of my old 35 receivers into the glider. A 1500Ma 4 cell NiMh should be fine with just 2 servos so I'm almost ready to go sloping! If I crash it won't cost me much. Only problem is I can't find my 35 frequency peg (72 or 74) so I'll be painting a new one.

• 3 weeks later...

I have returned to modelling after about forty years away. In those halcyon days i had a horizon four chanel proportional system (Really cuttimg edge then).

When i returned i thought it prudent to get some 2.4 equipmentand duly bought some futaba.

I am very plesased with it and one can fly when one wants to without bothering adout who else is flying, observing safety procedures of course.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Posted by buster prop on 18/12/2012 11:55:03:

There's one spot, unfortunately on the landing approach, if the wind is in that direction, where many others have had glitches on 35.

An intriguing statement - I suppose the logical conclusion here is that 35 MHz radio wave thingies being longer are more affected by the wind?

Somehow I don't think you meant it to read that way, did you Buster? cheeky

I meant that our landing approach depends upon the wind direction. If it's westerly the approach is from the other end and we don't fly through the glitch zone. No problems though with 2.4ghz . I only fly electric but the I/c guys who use 35  have also had this problem at the same part of the field. We think that a microwave beam crosses at that point.

Edited By buster prop on 05/11/2013 22:50:34

• 4 weeks later...

All my stuff is on 35, all Futaba and with double conversion receivers. I have never had a glitch, the only times I have >re-kitted< models were my own fault.

Even during the heavy times of CB on 27AM I never had a twitch, we used to experiment down the flying field in 80/81 with an SSB/AM/FM radio and unless you were on splits or blue it didn't cause a problem.