Are you still flying entirely on 35MHz?

Posted by Major on 25/09/2012 19:42:52:

Ken -

not so bad?? The cheapest Rx costs about 30 quid... x16 it will be quite big amount of money...

Depends if you need/want telemetry.

If you don't, there are several options.

Firstly you can get a Hitec Minima for around the £24-£26 mark.

Alternatively if you look at a well known, large RC retailer, you can pick equivalent, compatible ones for around the £12-£14 mark (depending on the logged in discount). Now I don't want to upset anyone through conflict of interest or divert the thread topic away, so I'll let others point the way if they so wish...!

Don't forget that 35MHz receivers, even though selling cheap compared to what they were new, they aren't at rock bottom prices yet. So it is possible to sell existing branded receivers and get close to buying the 2.4GHz alternatives.

I have a dilema. I have a Futaba FP-R138DF that I'm selling, but it has a large amount of sentimental value attached to it. Also its in very good condition. So do I sell it, or keep it in and get it back out to play with when its an antique (like single channel sets are now)?

It won't be long before 35MHz gear will become rare if we continue the rate at which its thrown out/replaced!

Si.

Advert

I have 5 Heli's all on 35 Mhz, all operate from one TX which is my HiTec Eclipse 7 QCPM. Cost factor of changing everything over is the major point for me.

If I want to convert there is a module available which plugs into my TX and works in the same way 2.4 Ghz does, ie it detects if a frequency is in use and automatically moves to a free one. It also uses the shorter aerial same as 2.4 Ghz sets.

I have seen mixed reports about 2.4 Ghz sets - they are still fairly new so I will wait till things settle down a bit & when all the bugs are ironed out.

Mark

Edited By Mark Stevens 1 on 25/09/2012 21:11:42

I voted 'both' because I have 2 aeroplanes still on 35MHz, but to be honest all new stuff will go on to 2.4GHz.

There is nothing wrong with 35MHz - in fact in some circumstances it is still a better bet then 2.4GHz, but the fact is I can buy new 2.4GHz Rx's cheaper than (decent)second hand 35MHz stuff.

Martyn

I still use my Cockpit Sx on 35 mhz (as well as with a FrSky hack module), but I've fitted the bendy short aerial so I don't forget to pull it up. But majority of my planes are now 2.4 a mixture of Spektrum DSM2, FrSky and Multiplex M-Link.

The main worry about staying on 35 mhz was the lack of availability of new 35 mhz transmitters, you don't see any of the new transmitters launched in 35 mhz and 2.4 formats.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am about 50/50.

For all the claimed superiority of 2.4 more of these go in at our club than 35. One spectacularly whist videoing its flight, apparently posted on u tube.

I think the main issue with 35 is to maintain frequency control, as an in grained habit,

Probably when all the bells and whistles are standard on the intermediate  (2.4) sets that advantages will be far clearer.

For the moment, they both work for me.

Edited By Erfolg on 27/11/2012 21:13:28

I'm some and some. I've got two trainers on 35Mhz but I have a micro Stryker and a Vortex 400 on Spektrum (DX7) and have just swapped my 20 year old Dare-U to Spektrum as well.

I'm happy with 35MHz but now that I have keyfob cameras on one of the trainers (TT OBL40) I reckon I can see 5 or 6 glitches in a 10 minute flight, with it on electric only one or two could be heard from the ground, if it was I/C I may never have known at all. These are all easy to hear on the camera as short motor cuts. This doesn't particularly worry me, like many things what you don't now doesn't worry you, conversely. . . .

At the same site I have also had at least one drop out on 2.4! I think it may be the site, some are just like that, also it is maybe 200 yards from an electrified railway line (third rail) how much RFI does an electric train make when it crosses a gap in the third rail?

My two big reasons for going 2.4:-

1. A friend bought a load of gear intending to take up flying again, changed his mind and gave me a brand new DX7 with 2 receivers, quite a compelling one that.

2. I like the features (mixers etc.) compared to a vanilla dual rate 35MHz Tx which all mine are. The biggest of these for me is exponential, now I have got used to it given the choice I would never use linear again! This is the reason I've changed the Dare-U over, I never really liked it on linear, with the rates on low it flew fine but was never very exciting, high rates made it lively but then it was scary in a straight line. On expo I can fly it straight and still have +/- 45 degrees with the sticks in the corners, lovely.

Shaunie.

Mixture of both! However less use of the 35mhz this year, mainly due to whats ready.. However given some comments in the magazines.. Why not keep the 35mhz going? All my flying buddies are 2.4, in which case my 35mhz will clash with no one... Besides the 35mhz seems to fetch very little if sold.

Spare Tx's and spares Rx's.. Win win.. yes

Like Paul says Why Not. I have quite a few models to convert and changing to 2.4 would cost me quite a fortune, if i was starting out new then yes 2.4 would be the way foward.
But why get rid of a perfectly servicable 35meg set up when you have no issues with it !!!!!

Weasel 35Meg old timer......wink 2

I used to fly on 35mhz only(sanwa vanguard) 6ch

now i have made the leap with 2.4 tx + rx from Giant Shark. The only time i used to get glitches/interferance was when i flew up Chobham Common in Surrey,but not all of the time.

I still have a brand new boxed Vanguard Tx + other bits that i will be selling soon,was my spare set that i never used. This is from the mid 1990s.