Why are we not seeing many twins

Erfolg

Well Erfolg, the Dornier may not be quite what you have in mind, but I have one too and just love it. Actually I loved it to bits a few weeks back, but with a bit of glue the front end is all going back together Ok, although it will not look quite so pristine again. What is a bit tempting is that the LHS has a kit for a raher larger one, the box recommends a 50cc petrol at the front only but says you can use a 120 at the front and a 90 at the back if you like which would be much more fun, especially at starting time. The foamie one does illustrate quite well how easy the electric stuff does make a twin engine model. There is a four engine Lancaster in our club that just got converted from IC to electric, after finding it rather hard to get four engines all tuned the same.

John

I have built the Top Flite DC3 and put electric motors in it, this flies superbly but the power output is tremendous so requires careful throttle managment on take off.

I also built the CAP Mosquito recently and converted that to electric.

Another electric twin I have is the Black Horse OV1 Mohawk and the B25 Mitchell( now deceased)

These both fly good and are suitable as club flyers.

The TN small Lancaster also flies superb on 4 small motors, and is a nice build as well.

Darryl

Edited By Djay on 17/10/2012 10:13:54

I love my Seagull Dual Ace. Nice easy flier. I think that the horror stories people have heard about twins spinning into the ground after an engine out puts them off.

I am very fussy about the engine start up routine on my twin, its a little long and arduous, and so far that has put me in good stead.

I bought my first DA off a club member and made a few mods on the nose wheel to make the landings easier. Then had a mid-airbroken heart. So I bought anotherand made it even better.

Love the sound of them too

I've just finished putting one of these together...

hangar-9-otter.jpg

Hangar 9 Twin Otter,  87" span and twin E-Flite Power 25's. Just setting up and awaiting a maiden opportunity. I totally agree with Erfolg, electric is making twins and even 4-engined multi's much more practical propositions for the average club flier.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/10/2012 19:36:46

The one that has always been of interest to me and an aircraft I have never seen plan or model of is a Focke Wulf 187, its sleek lines and twin engines made it faster by around 50 mph than the Me bf 109E of its day, like the ARADO 240 which is also sadly neglected as a model subject its a good job for the allies they didnt go into production.

Edited By Terence Lynock on 18/10/2012 18:18:19