Why are we not seeing many twins

Erfolg

I have built an electric delta with twin motors. I have come to believe that essentially with electric power, that twins are not so much, if at all, difficult to fly, than a single motor.

Which has set me thinking, apart from the old favourites (at least in the UK) we seldom see any twins. TH has recently had a twin private plan published, by why has no one done some of the easier WW2 twins.

I am thinking of those with long noses, for the battery storage, or if absolutely necessary balancing lead. The obvious are Bf 110, He 219, which also have good wing areas. I could not think of any British, although there must be some with a long nose.

I would still like to see the Bellanca tri-motor of PM published, as that looks very promising for electric.

Edited By Erfolg on 16/10/2012 16:18:28

I suspect the reason is simply cost and complexity. One slightly larger motor will always be cheaper than two slightly smaller ones. The same is true of ESCs. With a twin there are two cowls to make, two motor mounts to make and adjust for down/sidethrust, two propellors to balance, two sets of ESC leads to solder etc etc. If someone decides they want to build a Mosquito and only a Mosquito will do, then obviously they will be building a twin, but if someone decides they want to build a warbird of a certain size but with no firm idea of what then inevitably they are going to be drawn to single engine models first.

oh that TH!! thanks for that. hoping for something a bit bigger, around 65 inch span. currently building a galaxy twin scorpion for two asp 25's, and have plans for an 80 inch Beech D18 which i hope to send off to belair or falcon to get laser cut next year. this will have two asp 61 4 strokes. previously had a nitroplanes p-38 too.

I was thinking about free plans, or plans which were/are not IC orientated. The main issue I have with IC plans, is the size, a little to big and the weight or robustness of the design.

Electric models benefit from light weight structures and do not need the mass that is seen as necessary for most IC designs.

Although admiring the DH88, it is not the type I was thinking off, being a little to tapered in the wing planform for easy control. The nose is also a little short, although at least the engine nacelles stick forward a bit.

i always wanted a twin but the worries about asymetrical thrust if a motor goes out were a concern so i went a different route, an inline twin - Cessna 02 Skymaster. And the sound is even better when the prop wash from the front motor goes through the rear blades - always gets lots of attention and flies perfectly well on just one engine - i have lost an engine or run out of fuel on several occasions and it has enough power on one motor to do a few circuits before bringing her back in. The dead motor does 'windmill' so I do wonder if i added a remote glow if it would refire up - how cool would that be smile (not as cool as keeping it running in the first place i hear you cry!)

Cessna 02 SkyMaster

Edited By richard cohen on 16/10/2012 20:24:29

I've got a few twins. The I.C. ones are: Harmony Twin; Dual Ace; OV10D Bronco; Kyosho PBY Catalina (Ideal twin - due to close proximity of engines); C160 Transall; Own design twin, with a T180 wing and a WM P-82 Twin Mustang.

My electric are: Twinstar; Partanavia Twin. Multiplex Cargo and Twin Jet; Cessna 337 and what about this:

Graupner JU-52. A twin, with a single on front.

Simon

SNAP

Not quite what I was thinking off.

I like the tri motor, just the type, of not very highly detailed, practical scale and size for everyday electric flying. But as a plan, be it free or part of the plan range. If it were a RCM&E plan, then all the bits and pieces could be available from the Hobby Store. All the hard graft could be avoided.

Posted by Erfolg on 16/10/2012 20:12:15:

Although admiring the DH88, it is not the type I was thinking off, being a little to tapered in the wing planform for easy control. The nose is also a little short, although at least the engine nacelles stick forward a bit.

Not sure I agree the DH88 has a short nose (see below) but yes, it's not a practical every day model with the long pointy wings. On the other hand my light funfly model is very practical indeed.

This thread is turning into quite a twin-fest isn't it?

I drew up this Bristol 170 Freighter some years ago. Spans 54", and has two S400 motors. Remember those?

The original 8 sub-C cells have long been ditched in favour of a 3S li-po. Still flies well after all these years!

The plan is in the Tr*pl*t range.....

tim

PS.  Video here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoLKelIwJTM

Bristol Freighter1

Bristol Freighter2

Bristol Freighter5

Edited By Tim Hooper on 16/10/2012 22:57:19

There is a Brit cottage industry manufacturer that does several twin engined electric designs that fly really well. Quick to build and quite accurate in outline and leaves the builder to put in as much/ little detail as they want. Such models are: B17, Lancaster, Bear, DC-3/ C-47, Gloster Meteor, Canberra, F82 twin mustang, Me110, Mosquito (3 Sizes). All between 32" and 60" wingspan.

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to "advertise" them here but the manufacturer can be found if you search for the models by name on U-Tube etc.

Edited By Ady Hayward on 16/10/2012 22:55:31

some time ago I saw details of a plan offered free in another mag for a foamy twin canadair, I havent been able to obtain a copy of this plan but would really like to find it , I have the name of the mag and date but havent been able to get any responce from the publisher, ( not sure if I can/should name names here but can supply if any one thinks they could help or would also like a copy)

I would also be interested in a plan for a short sunderland, Has anyone ever designed a foamy version ?

Noel