Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

I’ve acquired one of these, finished but never flown example. I’m starting to think I’m the fourth owner, and the finisher, second owner,  was not the builder of the airframe, and had far less experience.

I’m doing OK, but, last leg, wings and struts. The issues are minor, except the ( I think) interplane struts. 
Dog rough, poorly made, no logic to them. Don’t fit. No trust in them. 
Has anyone got, can supply, a set of dimensioned drawings so I can have some numbers to go from, to see if these are the problem, can fabricate new. 
To be clear, these are the outboard struts on the wings, not the cabane struts near the cockpit. 

To be honest, I used M3 threaded rod with clevises. These clip onto simple brackets top and bottom. They never come out and the wing remains intact. Also they’re easy to adjust. They are shrouded in K&S streamline tubing.

Depends on what the builder put inside the wings as fixing points. I screwed bent brass plates to mine, one end has mini SLEC ball links and the other kwik links, coupled with 2mm rods inside litho aerofoil tubes. Not great as the tubes can rotate and there is a gap top and bottom but it is easy to de rig. Distance between the wings is about 13", same as at the cabane strut end.

Here is one of mine. They are the same concept, but different lengths. Is this to plan, or invention. The cross pieces are wire with a soldered anchor wire to stop forward / back movement. 
Martin, one step forward, the cabane struts define rigging angles.

My problem, these struts just don’t fit. The wings don’t seem a problem, but are not parallel spanwise, no big deal, the struts are there to sort this out. BTW, one thing freaking me, the red, designates the starboard wing strut.

IMG_0006.thumb.jpeg.622d93753fd9462c15c8a7fc2c71c069.jpeg

2 hours ago, Don Fry said:

I’ve acquired one of these, finished but never flown example. I’m starting to think I’m the fourth owner, and the finisher, second owner,  was not the builder of the airframe, and had far less experience.

I’m doing OK, but, last leg, wings and struts. The issues are minor, except the ( I think) interplane struts. 
Dog rough, poorly made, no logic to them. Don’t fit. No trust in them. 
Has anyone got, can supply, a set of dimensioned drawings so I can have some numbers to go from, to see if these are the problem, can fabricate new. 
To be clear, these are the outboard struts on the wings, not the cabane struts near the cockpit. 

Don, will the plans at OZ not be of help?

Don, just be aware that the blurb associated with the plan listing on OZ mentions that there were/are two versions of the Precedent Stampe plan and the one available for download is the older version. I am not aware of what exactly are the differences between the two, but some one on the forum may perhaps be able to advice. 

I think I have a later version, metric bolts, and a glass cowl. I will give it a rest for now as the download won’t open.
Update, got it to open, answers my question, make up in situ, not on the plan.

So I will make a jig to hold wings where I want them, and make new. Just a question of negotiating with the missus for one end of the dining table, as the workshop is too small. “ mon chérie, mon amour, une petit favour”

• Haha 1

On 07/05/2023 at 19:15, Don Fry said:one thing freaking me, the red, designates the starboard wing strut.

When I did my RYA day skipper course the way to remember side and colour was,

The drunken sailor left the red port wine behind 

so port is red in colour and the left hand side ,

that’s all well and good for me but others have different ideas 

On 07/05/2023 at 19:15, Don Fry said:one thing freaking me, the red, designates the starboard wing strut.

IMG_0006.thumb.jpeg.622d93753fd9462c15c8a7fc2c71c069.jpeg

An old one I remember from my RYA training, 

The red port wine goes down my throat. (Throat rope is the mainsail hoist on a lugger, nowadays still the location of the mainsail hoist on a Bermudan rigged yacht). Cheers Bert, I like the sliders to fix the distance. I know where I’m going now.