low and dangerous airshow

bouncebounce crunch

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s3TsMO5gmc

This is one of those risky flying videos, spectators lives are definately at risk.

camera work is a little shaky but you would be shaking if you were holding the camera.

blast i can never embed youtube or media. IT is supposed to be the Ilipango air show 2012.

Edited By bouncebouncecrunch on 11/11/2012 00:15:09

Edited By bouncebouncecrunch on 11/11/2012 00:16:53

Advert

I went to an air show in Wisconsin some years ago and whilst the flying was not quite so low, I was amazed at the lack of crowd control. You had pretty much free access around the parked aircraft and the only time this changed was when you were asked to 'step back a couple of yards so we can get this plane started and moved' !

Now that's what I call a proper airshow; up close and personal. cool

The closing sequence reminded me of my time in Saudi Arabia when they used to spray DTT powder from an aircraft flown at a similar altitude. The object being to kill mosquitoes apparently; it was interesting if you happened to be driving a car to be suddenly enveloped in a choking fog of dust. The authorities eventually stopped the practice when they realised that they were killing more people in traffic accidentssurprise than the mosquitoes ever did. The aircraft in Jeddah was put atop a pole on a roundabout by way of decoration, I wonder if it’s still there?

Lots of things 'look fun' until they go wrong.

When I was a fitter on 92 sqdn the pilots aim was to fly safely but in such a way that it looked dangerous to the crowd.

In that film the pilots are flying with little regard for their own safety or, more importantly, the safety of the public.

WOW now THAT is an AIRSHOW. Itis nice to see that there are still places where it is understood that danger and fun tend to go together.

Living in Sain as I do one has to understand that. Alas as they get more Euro here the spice is being slowly lost from many events.

Great fun , I WISH I had been there !

Thanks for posting it.

"Hoof" Proudfoot had an aileron malfunction according to the AIB report. That version of P38 had powered flying controls and sufered a hydraulic system failure causing the controls to get very stiff thus failing to recover in time from the low height.

Airshows with poor crowd management are deathtraps as was demonstrated some years ago in Rouen when Martin Sargeant was displaying his Spitfire when an engine problem forced him to abort his display and land on the spare runway. Unfortunately spectators had congregated on the runway to see the show forcing him to change plan at the last seconds resulting in him crashing and losing his life.

Certainly the shows like that are exiting being up close and personal, but the risks are just too many to be ignored.

Forgive me for being a party-pooper but whether this 'looks fun', or is 'an accident waiting to happen', is probably influenced to some extent on whether you've ever had the dubious pleasure of clearing up the mess when it all goes pear-shaped........face 4

In Europe, at least, we've learnt the hard way over many years about display orientation and crowd lines - Farnborough, Ramstein and many others were lessons which only gradually improved safety standards - but occasionally, things still go wrong.

The relatively low number of 'third party' casualties in Europe in recent years perhaps stands testament to the tightening of the rules.

In the US, they are still getting over the latest Reno disaster, which killed eleven people last year. Strangely enough, they see air racing and airshows as completely separate entities.

ABC News, reporting on a crash at an Iowa airshow in September, quote the following:

“There hasn’t been a spectator fatality at a North American air show since 1952, and that’s because of the strict rules that have been in place for nearly 60 years,” said John Cudahy, president of International Council of Air Shows".

I really can't see that argument standing up - whether you're a spectator at an airshow or an air race, you're just as dead!

El Salvador is one of those countries where life seems to be held rather more cheaply than here, so perhaps it's not that surprising that we see Third-world attitudes in their display organisation. All it needs is for the holes in the cheese to line up just once.........

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy watching exciting flying - but standing watching a couple of tons of ali or similar heading directly at you could give you far more excitement than you ever bargained for...... smile o

Pete