Oodalally

Peter Miller

Hi Peter,

I have a brand new in box Irvine 25 Mk 3 TBR,Although this engine is from the mid/late 90s would you think it would have enough power for this design of yours?

I used to have a flying mate who had a non ball raced Irvine Q40 that was out at same time,seemed really powerfull for a 40,but i have never seen or heard anything about my 25TBR! I Also think its one of the last British made Irvines!

Many Thanks

Stevesmiley

• 2 months later...

I think I will be studying this plan as a possible replacement for my much loved but now deceased RCM Pelikan Tucano which went from straight and level flight to an inverted spin before passing through a tree! Cause unknown. Although mumblings of Bermuda triangle were heard amongst some club members.

But sorry Peter I would have to do a Lectric conversion.

I hope it makes a good replacement for your Tucano.

Don't worry. I don't mind what people do when building my designs. Just don't complain if it doesn't work out well.

I am sure that Oodalally will convert very nicely to electric.

Edited By Peter Miller on 04/03/2013 08:25:37

Hmmm quite interested in this. However Peter says the engine is mounted with neither side or down thrust. In the piccies of the electric mount, the motor is shown offset to one side, or am I seeing things.

For us electric guys, what would be really useful would be the weight of the finished plane without sevos motor, receiver and battery. I know it can be calculated, but... It looks somewhere between a 3S and a 4S model, possibly a 3S with 12g servos and a 400w motor.

Posted by Martin Phillips on 05/03/2013 21:03:48:

Hmmm quite interested in this. However Peter says the engine is mounted with neither side or down thrust. In the piccies of the electric mount, the motor is shown offset to one side, or am I seeing things.

Note quite clear about what you mean.

The engine is set so that the trust line is parallel with the datum line in side and plan view. The engine is also set on the centre line of the fuselage, no off set in any way.

There are no pictures of an electric mount!

Martin was probably looking at Chris Bott's photo which was another model entirely but the photo illustrated a suggested method of electric motor mount.

However Martin has an interesting point about weight. Electric models have the main weight in the Lipo which goes somewhat further back than a glow motor ( i.e. the Lipo & brushless motor may weigh the same a glow but much of the weight is the Lipo itself but it's further back ) Therefore a lightweight low power electric may need an extended nose. Also it probably wont need so much ply doubler as a glow which will reduce weight further but remove a bit of nose weight.

I suppose Martin could deduct the weight of a SC32 ( 362 gram ) plus Nicad ( say 85 g or more ) plus the weight of 4 standard servos ( say 185 g ) from Peter's weight of 4 lb 6 oz. Which would give a weight of about 3pounds.

For reference the weight of a 3S3000Mah Lipo is about 269 gram and a 400watt brushless about 120 gram - both depending on make - so in total about the same as a SC32.with engine mount & tank. Electric will add ESC but less 1 servo so the same.

I will consider building this model for electric..........when RCME is in the newsagents on Friday.... and I reckon on extending the nose a bit, engine bulkhead well forward, much less ply doubler but a liteply plate to carry Lipo, making a top hatch for Lipo access. We will see when RCME is published generally.......

But is RCME in the newsagents yet?

Those of us who support our local newsagents realise that it's the only way that complete newcomers can see any RC magazines-- if its not on the shelves they will never know RCME exists- ..

...we dont mind waiting a few extra days but it seems very unfair that we are also denied the subscribers only parts of Modelflying!

Having now studied the plan I notice that the U/C mounts have holes symmetrical instead of the usual 'one just in front of the other' layout. .( Peter's third picture from the beginning of this thread shows staggered holes )  I guess that most experienced builders will notice this, but if not it's quite difficult to put right later. I suppose you could put additional bends in the u/c to tweak them into line but it's better to stagger the holes.

In fact I think it's easier to laminate the u/c mount from a piece of 4mm ply ( same thickness as 8SWG piano wire ) with a slot sawn into it then capped with another piece of ply. The slot does not go to the top of the ply but is stopped about 1/4 inch short. One of the pair has the slot 4mm further forward. I usually saw the slot slightly undersize and on completion of lamination run a 4mm drill through which then follows the line of the slot and perfectly opens the hole to match 8SWG.

Edited By kc on 11/03/2013 11:08:14

Hi KC.

Yes, I agree entirely. My drawing shows the staggered holes in the plan view. NOT MY FAULT.

I did miss that error when proofing the plans. I was more concerned that the ribs had been thinned down by 1/8". Probably won't make much difference to the flying though.

Your idea of laminating from 4 mm ply is quite good. I don't stock that size myself but anyone who does could go that way.

Just laminating a bit of 1/32 ply to some 1/8 ply would be approx 4mm. However ply seems to vary a lot and it/s not difficult to find some scraps of 4mm. This may be a lot easier for some than drilling accurately down into a bit of ply.

Has the 1/8 difference on ribs been amended on the published plan?

No, The ribs are still thinner than drawn. I think the wing seat has been changed to match. I can only tell them what is wrong.

I seem to remember that at least one DB desing simply used 3 mm ply with a slot in it.

Correcting the problem with the non staggered holes merely needs a slight twisting of the axles so they are at 90 degrees.