Charging lipos in advance or not.

flyeruk

I am now starting to fly electric edfs most weekends. I have got 8 lipos at the moment and only a single charger.Because i work all week,the only time i get to charge them is in the evenings.I do intend to get a better charger or should i say, a charger that can charge 4 batteries at the same time. In the mean time,is it okay to charge the batteries a week ahead so they are ready for the following week or not?

Advert

In my experience its OK. I know that Lipos have a "storage" setting - but I feel that you only really need that if you are putting them away longer term, for a couple of weeks or more. One week, or even part of a week if you charge mid-week like I do sometimes, shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think.

Yes, the purists will tell you that you'll get some deterioration over the lifetime of the battery caused by this - and they may very well be right. But I've been doing it for 2 years now and haven't noticed any!

BEB

Unless I'm not flying the packs in 2 weeks time or more (i.e. I've broken the plane! smile p), I always keep my packs charged and ready to go.

If you want hard figures on this, have a look through the Sony Lithium Ion Rechargable Batteries Technical Handbook (remember our LiPo cells are a type of Lithium Ion cells - their true name is actually Lithium-Ion Polymer cells. The Polymer part refers to the construction of the cells. It's an interesting read and doesn't get too heavy in the technical detail either (along as you have a basic knowledge of Electronics theory).

Interestingly for long term storage to reduce cell degration, they state that 3.3v is preferable to 3.8v per cell. However if your storing it at that low a voltage, you'd need to make sure that it doesn't self discharge below 3v - otherwise you risk damaging the cell that way. Possibly why 3.8v tends to be recommended?

Si.

Edited By Simon Chambers on 20/11/2012 21:58:12

I'm another who 'charges and leaves'. To be fair, I have had some protest - one pack by puffing up (this was before cell balancing leads came along) and 3 or 4 who have had a cell die, but as I can only fly infrequently, the convenience of being able to go flying at a moment's notice far outweighs the downside. The batteries are kept in a fireproof safe, so I'm not worried about them getting more aggressive!

Mike

Posted by Simon Chambers on 20/11/2012 21:57:04:

If you want hard figures on this, have a look through the Sony Lithium Ion Rechargable Batteries Technical Handbook (remember our LiPo cells are a type of Lithium Ion cells - their true name is actually Lithium-Ion Polymer cells. The Polymer part refers to the construction of the cells. It's an interesting read and doesn't get too heavy in the technical detail either (along as you have a basic knowledge of Electronics theory).

Interestingly for long term storage to reduce cell degration, they state that 3.3v is preferable to 3.8v per cell. However if your storing it at that low a voltage, you'd need to make sure that it doesn't self discharge below 3v - otherwise you risk damaging the cell that way. Possibly why 3.8v tends to be recommended?

Si.

Edited By Simon Chambers on 20/11/2012 21:58:12

Very interesting document, Simon, thanx for that - I've down loaded a copy for future reference.

Would be good to have a copy in the forum electric flight section but I suppose there would be copyright considerations.

I always charge mine ASAP at home after a flying session. The only time I discharge some of them to storage level is mid winter until they are next likely to be used. I store them in the garage in a couple of Pyrex type casserole dishes bought from Aldi or Lidl.

Simon: the technical data iin the handbook is in 3 sections, each dealing with one type of Li ion rechargeable cell. The first section is specifically about LiPos. See the section title:

"2-5-1 Polymer (UP383562)
Lithium ion rechargeable batteries with lithium cobalt oxide cathode and graphite anodes"

This refers to hard-cased LiPos, not soft-packaged ones like we use, but the chemistry and therefore the characteristics are the same.

If you are going to store your LiPos ffully charged or a long time, it's good advice to keep them COLD as this slows down the capacity-reducing process. Don't worry about freezing them. They CAN'T freeze. And yes, Sony recommend storage at 3.3 volts and that's a LONG way above the discharge-voltage that kills them (about 1.0 volts / cell - see section 6.1.2). This manual is the only place where I've seen the "killing" process explained - see section 4.2.2.

• 4 weeks later...