Welcome to UKCAA

Martyn K

Thanks for stopping by and reading this.

This section of the modelflying web site is dedicated to the promotion, building and flying of F3A aerobatic models from (mainly) the 1960's and 1970's. A fledgling organisation (the UK Classic Aerobatic Association) is being formed for members to pool interests, ideas, plans,and hints and tips. Hopefully low key meetings and competitions will follow.

Please feel free to contribute.

Best wishes

The UKCAA team

Thanks Bob.

I had thought about that, but the UKCAA.org.uk domain name was available so I bought it. There are several aronyms that have double meanings, one I worked with earlier that caused some confusion was the General Teaching Council and Guild of Television Cameramen.

Unless the acronym is trademarked (govt departments by law cannot be trademarked, but you cannot pretend to represent them) then we should be OK... I'll listen out and take advice though.

Martyn

It could be called Classic Aerobatic Group ( or Organisation, Club, etc ) which would not be confusing.

Dont forget thet CAA is responsible for model flying too and is often mentioned in the BMFA handbook which Classic aero pilots will have to refer to. To have similar set of initials would be too much.

Edited By kc on 06/12/2012 16:02:40

I have a soft spot for the Kwik Fli Mk III, would this count? there is just something about it despite it's boxy fuselage. I have always wanted to have a go at one.

A friend up at the field has a similar shaped model, I think (though I may be wrong) it is called Vertigo? he has a piped Webra 61 fitted from the same era and it doesn't hang around! I will mention this to him Martynthumbs up

Rich

Hi all

OK on comments and the name. I can see there is some scope for confusion - we may need to have a think about that.

Pedantic mode - all OK - probably my error/ignorance.

From the original post that triggered this we are considering 3 'sections' with cut off dates of 1970, 1979 and 1984, so KwikFlies, Astro Hogs,Curares, Altairs, Superstars are all in. Its the era and technology in place at the time that is driving this rather than any hard and fast rules as far as I am aware.

Above all - somewhere safe where can all play nicely and have some fun with like minded individuals.

Martyn

Posted by Richard Harris on 06/12/2012 15:58:57:

I have a soft spot for the Kwik Fli Mk III, would this count? there is just something about it despite it's boxy fuselage. I have always wanted to have a go at one.

A friend up at the field has a similar shaped model, I think (though I may be wrong) it is called Vertigo? he has a piped Webra 61 fitted from the same era and it doesn't hang around! I will mention this to him Martynthumbs up

Rich

I think I've got a 40 sized clone, but as it came as a part complete airframe I don't really know:

mystery side view.jpg

Hi Andy

I dont think anyone would insist on going back to 27MHz or even transistors. It will also be difficult to get hold of the engines from the era I would imagine. I think that the important thing is to get the airframes up in the air using the build technology that was in use at the time, but then again I suspect that material substitution will occur as well.

Its the spirit of the era that counts as far as I am aware.

(Being very careful here not to define a policy).

Martyn

As Martyn implied, I had put some simple proposals in the aerobatic build thread. It is the models that this is all about, with all engines, 2 and 4 stroke OK and electric being OK as well.

I'll put together some proposals as regards schedules but these will be for those wishing to have a light hearted go at competition. As someone mentioned earlier, it is an opportunity for pilots to learn and improve their flying with models that are economic to build and operate, unlike the current high cost F3A models. After being involved in F3A since the early '80's, the era's mentioned were when I and others considered it to be fun, that's what it's all about.

img_9908.jpeg

Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 06/12/2012 18:46:24:

Hmm, interest steadily growing. What is an ideal first one (and a first plan build)? I have a plan for a Sonas 40 but I am not sure that counts.

CS

The Kwik-Fli should be easy enough to find as a plan and as it's a simple structure there's nothing too complicated in the build. A lot of models from this period were pretty simple to construct as long as you avoid any of the internal pipe designs. Just be prepared for lots of carving and sanding on one of the sleeker designs like the Dirty Birdy

The Sonas 40 was in RCMW Aug 2002 so it's outside the dates specified. Sonas 60 a bit later still. Ultrasport 40 is probably 1990's kit. So outside the dates but a bit similar to the spirit of Classic ( i.e. build your own pattern model from balsa & ply )

Somewhere on the Trenton site are details of Kwik Fli with a dimensioned drawing and a half size wing rib section - enough info to scale up and build. Flea Fli is a 2/3 size Kwik Fli3 so that could be built from the data too. Be sure to look at the Trenton site which has masses of plans and the original articles, the site may not last because it's not been updated for some years. Download now and save to a disc! Some of the plans have extensive article & photos on building the model which would help for lots of similar models. The American RCM magazine articles had better construction photos than most other magazines.

You can still purchase plans  of most of the RCME & Radio Modeller designs of that era from MYHobbyStore.   Those american plans like Dirty Birdy , SunFly 4 & Super Kaos published In RCM magazine can still be purchased from RCM plans  in Oregon but people report slow service.  You can just phone the states ( allowing for time differnce about 8 hours behind Britain ) and quote  a credit card to buy . MAN plans from USA are still avail but some of these were also published by RM so they can also be bought  from MyHobbyStores.( Flea Fli etc )   

Edited By kc on 07/12/2012 01:12:49