Fantasy Formula 1 (Fantasygp.com)

the unmagnificent man

Advert

The Game Guide that iqon mentioned is worth a read for new and old players alike. There's a summary of changes for 2018 at the end which reads as follows;

Here is a quick summary of the changes for 2018 (handy for the seasoned players!):

• PRO players have the same budget as non-PRO.
  • ‘First to Retire’ prediction has been dropped
  • New Bonus Prediction added. A multiple choice, topical question.
  • Stats area has been redeveloped and enhanced with interactive charts and graphs, including league-specific charts.
  • Driver and Car market values can change. For 2018 the value for cars and drivers will go up and down from race to race pending their performance. Values will be updated after a race by 9am Monday GMT
  • Predictions can now be copied from the previous race as well as set up to 3 races in advance (PRO only)
  • All players have 8 free team changes, PRO players have 20.
  • All players can join up to 3 leagues, PRO players can join as many as they wish.
  • All PRO players can join the PRO Championship to compete for prizes, including Grand Prix tickets.
  • PRO players enjoy a truly advert free site, which is faster and nicer to look at.
  • The mobile app has been discontinued to focus development on the main game which is fully responsive across phones and tablets
  • All leagues now have rankings so you can easily see performance improvement (or not) over the course of the season. Each race will show your race rank and global rank after that race
  • PRO players can view other players cars and drivers. Until the game locks, the players cars and drivers for the previous race will be shown, after the game locks the current cars and drivers will be shown.
  • PRO players can see other players predictions, once the game has locked.
  • PRO players can hide their team from other players, but this means they can also no longer see other teams.
  • Results pages now include a full breakdown of where points have been scored or not.
  • PRO players can now change he game ‘livery’ from standard red to a variety of familiar colour schemes.

Many of the changes relate to 'perks' for PRO players. I'm glad that the extra budget that PRO players had in 2017 has been scrapped, though they do have more free changes which is a little dubious...

If any league member goes for PRO membership I expect them to either not use the additional free changes, or to declare it if they do. I hope that is not a problem for anyone! PRO members are (at least they were last year!) 'tagged' as such in the league tables.

Posted by John Privett on 09/03/2018 21:28:24:

Many of the changes relate to 'perks' for PRO players. I'm glad that the extra budget that PRO players had in 2017 has been scrapped, though they do have more free changes which is a little dubious...

If any league member goes for PRO membership I expect them to either not use the additional free changes, or to declare it if they do. I hope that is not a problem for anyone! PRO members are (at least they were last year!) 'tagged' as such in the league tables.

How can they not use their changes John, it may compromise them in the other leagues they're in, or am I misunderstanding ?

One of my work colleagues runs a league at work that I'm also in. He ran two teams last year - one PRO, the other not, and took full advantage of the extra budget for his PRO team. As I recall it didn't actually give his PRO team that much of an advantage! But anyone wanting to run a PRO and a non-PRO team could enter the PRO team in some leagues and the non-PRO in others.

I hope we will all stick to the spirit of the game and as I said if anybody gets PRO membership and uses their extra changes then they declare it. It would be something of a hollow victory to win the league purely by having more team changes than others. There's no prize money at stake, just "the honour" of winning - and to get that "honour" in an arguably unfair way would be very much against the spirit of the game.

Anyway, what do others think? It's our league, not just mine! teeth 2

John

Last year I did manage to finish in the middle order, although I generally slid down over the year. From memory the differences in points from the middle to the bottom was not much. It would have taken just a few more races and I could easily have been challenging for the bottom.

I assume that pretty much all of us had Mercedes and Lewis as their choice of 1st car and driver. My predictions failed spectacularly at times. That was when I thought Ferrari were in with a chance, only to see them eliminated. Oh, did i cry.

It is hard to see anything changing, Mercedes still appears to be the best engine, Vettel could be the best driver in a slightly of the pace car. Lewis is pretty much the same in talent as Vettel, so is bound to win!

Posted by John Privett on 26/11/2017 20:37:28:

So here's how it all ended this season;

Championship Standings

Pos Team Manager Pts
1 iqon racing iqon racing 2640
2 Pitts Specials john stones 2630
3 VBT Racing Yorik 2575
4 Revers Racing Pete B 2523
5 AnyoneSeenBernie johnpflyrc 2488
6 Bernies Big Brown Envelope serepton PRO 2439
7 Team Webby Racing Simon Webb 2415
8 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 2383
9 Mannschaft Carl Brotherton 2361
10 FalconFormulaOne Tony Hamer 2313
11 Flying Eagles Gary Goodfellow 2254
12 Essex Racing Tony Clark 2170
13 Slopeflyers F1 jimbo32010 2014
14 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 1980
15 teewrex John Tee 1664

So, as a reminder, above is how we all ended up as last season closed.

Posted by John Tee on 10/03/2018 17:51:25:

My mistake ( one of many probably) was to predict what I wanted to happen , not what would be likely to happen.

John - you read my mind!

I was going to post last night (but got distracted) suggesting that one thing that many people initially get "wrong" in this game (myself included!) is to base their team and predictions on what they hope will happen in the race, rather than what they really think will happen. The two can be very different!