Bending Pipes for Fuel Tank...

Scruffmeister

Advert

Piece of dowel about the size of a pencil or pen. Lay the dowel flat and roll the tube back and forth, applying pressure at the same time. The bend is effectively fashioned on the piece of dowel. Of course, you cant really get right angled bend with this method, but usually enough bend for fuel tank purposes.

By preferably annealing first as suggested ,you can ,if you have enough disposable length ,fasten down one end and grabbing the other PULL over a radius .That way, you are stretching the outer surface rather than just compressing the inner one which of course buckles the pipe on tight radii. For fuel tanks I've never had a problem as the tube supplied seems to be quite soft anyway .Makes me wonder how on earth we coped years ago when all those fancy expensive gizzmos weren't around .I do actually ----We improvised !

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 06/03/2013 19:09:37

Copper can be heated to dull red and then quenched in water. For aluminium use the soap trick to indicate temperature as described in an earlier post. Some aluminium alloys stay soft when quenched and then "age harden" over a period of time

Brass is again heated to a dull red and allowed to cool slowly., Do not quench or try to bend it while hot as brass breaks easily when hot. a condition known as "hot short" in brass foundries.

Malcolm

Edited By Malcolm Fisher on 06/03/2013 20:24:17

I have used the largest weed wacker plastic line that would fit, as a filler. I have bent steel brake line on a 1/4 inch radius, dirlled several 1/32 inch holes for a smoke system, and easily pulled out the line afterwards. For larger tubing I would use as many lines as necessary.

• 7 years later...
Posted by Bigflyer88 on 25/07/2020 07:52:36:

Just a thought but in industry we use external springs to bend small pipe I reckon there's a ball point pen lying around somewhere with a suitable spring in it. (once annealed).

From my own experience, I would imagine that a tube would kink and ccome through the side of a ball point spring which is pretty thin and widely spaced.

WE used to use internal springs for tube bending.

Dubro also make a proper tube bender which works pretty well. Two sizes 1/8 (not in stock) and 5/32 in stock.

I have the 1/8th one somehwere

When I make metal fuel tanks I always use 1/8" copper tube. THis will normally bend without kinking but heating it and allowing it to cool will soften it even more.