Hurrah! Spring's finally here, how much flying are you getting in?

Advert

Is no body else flying at the moment?

Wednesday in this part of the world, the Gods were certainly looking down and smiling. The sun was out, all the locals were out frying eggs on the pavements.

Down at club number two, I was in for a treat. Although not being a fan of larger models, I could not be other than impressed by a Airbus A400 as designed by TN. This example is particularly well made. It is so new, you can smell of newness.

In flight it can only be described as majestic, the four electric motors emitting a drone, far more reminiscent of a full size turbo prop, rather than the high pitch scream emitted from a Wot Four airborne at the same time, which reminded me of a Honda 50.

What was so evocative was seeing the aircraft making a climbing turn, as the light reflected from that brief plan as it translated into silohette.Low passes were also awesome, as the model skimmed above the ground, so reminiscent of the images we have all become familiar with on News items. Finally the model was brought in for a landing, with all the majesty of a full size aircraft. All pretty awesome.

As for me, I now have made 4 takeoffs, each slightly better, in my awareness of what is happening and more importantly what to do, as we say in Wigan "Ubung macht die Meister". Any year now I will be ready for that "A" test. The irony, as far as I am concerned, if allowed to fly by myself, I would just practise take offs, to catch up on all the lost years, where hand launches had been the norm and be that much quicker to being ready for aforesaid test.

An aside, I am now having concerns with the propeller I am now using. I am sure I can here it stalling at full power. Which has me wondering how does and why does a propeller stall. Please do not tell me it is AoA, I need more. Why does it not stall when stationary, yet is doing whilst flying, I think.

Edited By Erfolg on 06/06/2013 22:04:37

Edited By Erfolg on 06/06/2013 22:07:11

Last week was almost perfect for gliding in Cornwall, I had five, ten hour days at St Agnes. Also answered a question, what does a model shop owner do on his holidays? Go gliding of course!Busmans Holiday

Dont you love it when your only care in the world is the sun's glare off the water!

Looks good Bearair

I do need a mobile phone with a camera, as today was one of those days it would have captured a perfect image. I was delayed going to our field today, having my cavities filled, no not my head, nor my teeth the house wall cavities that is. Non the less i got away a 14:30.

Arriving at the field I thought I had taken a wrong turn and was now in the car park at Waitrose. No this is the field.

In the field was a sight rarely seen, a row of camping chairs, over 10 of them, 11 when my own was added. Each with a modeller sat in each and every one. After a few minutes I opened my factor 30 sunblock and slapped on liberally, I now looked like a beached whale.

As for flying, a Ava took to the air, momentarily blocked out the sun, asa total eclipse. In this weather it flew out its practise slot and hit its spot. There was much discussion on the setting on the motor height cut off. Before it replicated the process.

As for the rest of us, a little flying, a lot of talking, even more lying back and turning as on a spit, topping up our much deleted vitamin "D".

Seems my sacrifices to the sun god do work.

Edited By Erfolg on 07/06/2013 18:37:51

I got out tonight, despite the wind - I've given up waiting. Went and mowed my new strip with my new mower, and took the opportunity to take the WOT4e out. It is surprisingly good in strong wind.

The strip is now suitably bigger in readiness for the Pulse 125 on Sunday....

Rich

ps Bearair - that looks superb, I definitely want to try that one day - you had 5, 10 hour days? flying?!!!

Edited By Dickster on 07/06/2013 21:10:56

Maybe a new post needed " Summer's here, how much flying are you doing " smiley

Out flying last Friday. Cross wind made us use short runway, and ripped the U/C off on wire fence coming into land on first flight. It's strange how those wire fences just leap up and grab your U/C.

Repaired ,covered , and back flying Monday. Practicing those smooth landings on a WOT4, after putting my trike u/c trainer away. Passed my FW 'A' last month so started using the WOT4 and getting use to it.

Out Tuesday, but only had 4 flights. Ran out of fuel. Don't you miss your local LMS when they're gone.I'll have to get use to them not being there.

Went up to Steve Webbs on Thursday afternoon. Wrong time of day. Loads of people around, side streets full close to the shop. I wanted fuel; a new ARTF and bits and pieces so in my frustration, after circling around ,went home.

Friday ; you've guest it ; mowing lawns, cutting hedge ,tidying up the garden while glancing skyward looking at all that lovely blue sky.crying 2. Never mind, always another day.

Posted by Dickster on 07/06/2013 21:09:07:

I got out tonight, despite the wind - I've given up waiting. Went and mowed my new strip with my new mower, and took the opportunity to take the WOT4e out. It is surprisingly good in strong wind.

The strip is now suitably bigger in readiness for the Pulse 125 on Sunday....

Rich

ps Bearair - that looks superb, I definitely want to try that one day - you had 5, 10 hour days? flying?!!!

Edited By Dickster on 07/06/2013 21:10:56

Yes Rich, Mrs packed me off each morning with flask of tea and me sarnies and told me not to come back until it was dark! It is hard to get fed up of gliding when it is so nice on a cliff top and the conditions vary so widely, it always keeps the flying interesting. Nearly always have other modellers to talk to, not to mention the tourists who keep looking for the engine! Longest flight I have had was 2 1/2 hours with a big scale job.

Roger

I start today with a moan, or should that be a shout of glee. Those lazy doctors (consultants) who comprise daughter No.1 and son-in-law, that are never in the hospital at week ends, were both scheduled for being on call this week end. Oh, this requires them to be on the premises, so my wife is asked to look after their children. On Saturday and Sundays.

This means I am by myself, making dinner, breakfast etc.crying 2

The fear of the breakfast task had me up, bright and early.

I rushed of to the field having yet again coped with breakfast, force fed the cat with its pills. The car was loaded with more models than you could shake a stick at.

The roads to the field were so clear at 08:00 on a Sunday morning, driving was similar to my youth. That is accepting it was not pedal to the metal driving, just a slow cruise, at the speed that in my youth had me wondering why are they bothering to drive, I walk faster.Inow need a car for all my models you idiot.

Arriving at the field I knew I would be the first. Except I no sooner had I climbed out of the car, another pulled up, in front of me. We both looked at each other shocked, nobody else should be here now, should they? Well the sun was shinning strongly so very early, I now half expected hoards of others to equally suddenly appear.

In the field, I unfolded my chair, took in the early morning in all its glory, and slapped on the first bit of Sun cream. Not a blade of grass moved, not the lightest breath of wind. This did change though, as drafts from in fill to thermals were felt, as the day heated up,

My joy was short lived however as I suddenly could not find my receiver for my Thunderbolt. Perhaps more accurately, were are the stupid extension leads from Rx to the ailerons to plug them in? After some time the fog cleared from my mind, o' gawd, you pinched it for that F3a.

After that averything went much, much better, I flew my GWS Texan. The good weather has allowed me to better understand a few mods required to make it fly much better. The one issue I have with it is that it has a sudden nasty stall, which takes a lot of height to recover from, perhaps 10-15m. That is a lot of height, especially for a novice. Yet it is fast, smooth in other respects.

I then flew my Parkzone Albatross, now this is a real pleasure to fly.side.jpg

The slow speed is exemplary, fast speed no problem, rolls well for its type, as are the loops, inverted flight, well it was born to it.

Next up was Nobler type.

I have included a picture as many will not know it. After some issues which turned out to be Lipo related, the model is doing its thing well again. Another model that would benefit from modifying though. a larger rudder would help in knife edge manoeuvres. At present, the rudder is doing little. I can normally turn my models on rudder, not this one.

So it was then just all the old stalwarts, by basic stunter, 2m Sagitta.

As for the models others flew, well obviously this was AVA weather, a fleet of Parkzone Radians, then a DF, a West Wings Pinto and so many more. For gliders a floaters day, for electric scale models a perfect day.

The gliders had a field day, the only issue was stopping them being sucked into the heavens, to be lost for ever. Each and every one becoming bored eventually, as boomer after boomer popped of, no real need for skill, in finding, eking out the lift.

Now all of this occurred with the sun beating down, becoming more intense with time. Copious quantities of sun screen slapped on. By mid day there were about 10 of us, all flying together without a hitch. Such a contrast with the formality at other places. The ribbing was constant, all taking it in good part, then again many are deaf. When we left we were all really pleased, a great morning out, not a single crash.

To be honest, I do not find it an issue.

I tend to follow the regime that Tim (previously known a sTimbo). That is all Lipos are kept at storage. The day before my intended session, I look at the weather forecast, decide which models i intend to fly. I then just charge at 1C.

My principal club would be perfect if we had a mowed strip. We almost have one now, as the farmer has cut the field last week. Yet on landing my Albatross, I thought it would wheel in, which it intially did, then went over on the nose.

I would guess this has been a fantastic day everywhere for us flyers.

I made a special effort on Saturday to ensure everything was ready to maiden my Bullet including buying sandwiches the night before and ensuring everything was charged up.Up at 6.45 to see all the trees dancing around like a load of kids on Es at a disco.,not that Ive ever done either.Yes very windy.so I went as a spectator to our war bids event.Most had arrived decided it was to windy and gone home.They were right.I watched 2 flights decided it was far to cold andtook refuge in my truck and quickly made my journey home.What is this nonsense about global warming,its June for goodness sake.

yes, Saturday was a shocker with cold winds and overcast all day. Sunday was the complete opposite with bright sun and gentle winds.

Saturday I had plenty of flights.

Sunday I felt too tired and lethargic to do more than assemble the models and only flew twice. Hay fever?

My nephew Chris got his new ARTF Acrowot checked out and noise tested then went on to impress the club instructor. He impressed me too with how well he controlled this his first IC model which is also his first 'proper' wood model.

We did have the pleasure of seeing a Vulcan doing low display passes in the distance somewhere over South Birmingham.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 10/06/2013 09:37:18

It was a great day up here on both days.

It was so good that one of our members who really looks out for his model, brought out his electric "Tracker". Perhaps one of the best (in my opinion the best), all round thermal models. With its ability to handle strong winds, yet can scratch in low wind , poor lift , situations. How I eyed the model with envy and aviarist. One day, one will be my own.cheeky

It does surprise me how in such a small island, that the weather can be so very different. The last week has been marked by very light wind, if any, and almost wall to wall sunshine. As I look outside now, i am lead to understand i am seeing the very last of this spell of sunshine. so I am of out now.

Had a bad week last week:

1) Smashed my UMX Sbach 3D up - broke a wing off, several large cracks in nose, cowl hatch in 5 pieces

2) Broke my Cypher 3D heli - bent main shaft, bent flybar, dented paddles

3) Got some weird virus that made me sleep loads and loads - not like me at all !

But .....

Feeling well now ! Fixed the SBach (good old UHU Por) and got three flights in before work this morning; fixed the Cypher (and set up the Gyro properly this time !) and got a couple of back garden hovers in yesterday evening.

Also maidened my Inverza this morning. It's even prettier than the SBach and flies absolutely brilliantly........... making up for the minor gripes I had:

1) Moulding quality

2) Paint - already rubbed/chipped off in a couple of places

3) Wing fixing - one of the holes drilled in wrong place.

I had expected better. My recently purchased HK Durafly Spitfire felt of much higher moulding and build quality; although I suspect the electronics on the Inverza are better.

Happy flying !

GG

On Wednesday I experienced a small high light. My Ta 152H-4 was flown by a local competent modeller, who pronounced that it was flying true, very fast and a pleasant model to fly.

from my rather biassed point of view, a truly impressive flight. Seeing it doing high speed low passes, nice rolls, large loops. Superb, truly superb. Of course the congratulations do belong to the pilot.

For every high , there comes a low. In the case I trapped the wing in the car door at home and now needs remedial work.

At the field, there was however another low. This time it highlighted my lack of broad experience. I was flying my Parkzone Albatross, which rather flatters your abilities or lack of them.

quarter.jpg

The take of was uneventful, the model taking care of itself. It was the landing, that was embarrassing. As most glider pilots I normally land hot, pushing the model into the ground, to prevent the wind turning it over, or moving it off line, as often happens if near the stall. I have landed the Albatross, previously on stubble fields, where on a perfect touchdown, the model would summersault. This was not going to happen on this mowed field. I came in a bit slower, I thought I may overshoot. So what did I do, just like any glider guider, without air brakes or crow brakes, I pulled the nose up slightly, to dirty the model. What a mistake, only recognised later. To the models credit, it did not stall, just did its own thing, turning side ways, and I decided to land in the outfield, in the now waist high grass and nettles.

Now these nettles and grass, are very similar to a black hole, your models is gone forever,transported to another dimension. It took another modeller, whose help, will be appreciated forever, to trample through this pampas, inducing hayfever for the first time in many, many years, to finally find it.

All the time the sun beat down. It was a good afternoon, considering all.

The answer is an almost yes.

Fw 190D aircraft certainly had it. Ta 152H aircraft almost certainly not. Although apparently both were used or tried in the same role.

The colour scheme came about as Me 262 aircraft were being shot down on there return to their base. The solution tried by JV 44, which was to fly sorties at low level, to jump enemy aircraft, hoping to jump a 262. The trouble is that your own AA was as likely to shoot you down as a sneaky NA Mustang, or Spitfire. The solution, a very bright distinctive paint job, that was clearly seen from the ground, not the air.

By chance I did come across a reference where Ta 152H-4 were tried as low level fighters, against ground attack allied aircraft. Although designed for high level operation, they operated very successfully at low altitude. Given the small numbers of Ta 152H-4s built, it could not have been much more than an evaluation.

Is no one else out there flying! Come on get outangry

The sun has got its hat on

And he's coming out today

Never saw the grass so green

Never seen the sky so blue

What a lot of fun for everyone

Flying in the sun all day

I decided to trim my Estes Falcon bought at Geenacres, for the granddaughter. As supplied the model is nose heavy, needing some lead slivers inserting up its tail pipe. It then glides OK. In the near future a delivery will be made to a potential modeller of the future!

Given that the day is so good, it was the perfect day to try my HK Firenza, for a second time. The first flight almost ending in tragedy, when the elevator servo stuck at full up. Servo changed, time to try again.

This flight was made in preparation of my "A" test, another model as back up. From the morning the wind strength had increased quite a lot, to about 12 mph, gusting at probably 18 mph.

together.jpg

The model was pointed into wind, opened the throttle tentatively, the model immediately rolled forward (I have put on larger wheels than supplied in the kit). Tracking dead straight, no rudder needed at all. Just a squeeze of elevator and she was airborne. I flew my 5 minutes out, the alarm sounding without event. I will go as far to say, it tracks much better than my trainer, showed no apparent tendency to get blown downwind, simples!

I did make two approaches to land, in preparation to land, just to be sure I knew how it would look on a landing. Did a final circuit, flew down to the middle of the landing strip, touched down with no hint of hassle, it essentially landing itself.

It seems that the scare stories on one web site has more to do with heavy batteries, equally heavy motor, than an intrinsically twitchy model.

Next up was my Me 163B, to be flown by my new test pilot (I cannot trust myself, as well being incompetent).

I expertly launched the model, which was in reality a big chuckembarrassed. The test pilot Steve, took it up in a graceful arc, then a series of fast circuits, rolls, loops. Finally deciding that the model flies fine, before bringing it in for a real greaser of a landing, the model caressing the grass as it slowed to a halt. So this is a happy ending, I feared that the model would never fly properly. It seems you just need a good test pilot. The real test will be can I fly it?

Being a Hay Fever sufferer, I then had to go home as my eyes watered, my nose itched, together with partially blocked sinuses. I still had three unflown models in the car. But apart from that, a great, great day! smiley

Get that nose back to the grindstone, Olly.

Never mind surfing!

No wistfully looking out of the office window, sitting around a table, in a boring conference, whist smeone utters some important message "Blah, blah, de blah, and whats blah, de blah".

Plenty of flying for me. Out yesterday to finish running in the OS 160 Fx I have in my pitts. That thing is now ballistic!! Smoke works well too! I had a little fly this morning too. very light wind so I took my Mini panic and the pitts of course. Spent some time buddying one of the students and giving him a bit of guidance. Got him flying pretty accurate circuits by the end of it. I've even had to order another 4 gallons of fuel!!

Andy