Hurrah! Spring's finally here, how much flying are you getting in?

Had a great day at the club yesterday, although a bit breezy I launched the Funcub first and had a smashing time hovering into the wind and doing slow low passes. Then after an hour of plucking up courage I decided to throw caution to the wind and maiden my built-and-stored-in-the-loft-for-2-years Prangster with it's new (to me) Irvine 46 aquired at the local swap meet last Saturday.

First flight was horrible it just wanted to climb and climb even with full down on the trim, the first landing was great, even with it's rubbish undercarriage I didn't stop the prop. After further trimming it was a case of 'let the fun begin!' a fantastic flyer, second landing was a little hard and stopped the prop.

Third flight and now I'm getting comfortable with it and start throwing it around some more. I can see me keeping this one for quite some time while it teaches me how to fly. Third landing it just nosed over face 20.

Can't wait to fly it again!

Had a great day down the club today. All the usual suspects turned out with the temp around 22c. Wind was light around 8 knots.

The Pawnee had a little light maintenance yesterday and was flight ready for this mornings abusing session. Had a good few flights and adjusted the low end as it was a little lumpy at idle.

My Pawnee

dsc_0061.jpg

Before my Pawnee & the RV8 did a circuit.

dsc_0062.jpg

Mike

I am not sure when I last flew a model, it seems a long time ago! There have been a number of reasons, the very poor weather being one, then a holiday break, away from the UK. Any good weather is therefore directly attributable to me, for which I will take all the credit. Just make a small payment (a large one is better) to the "Erfolg sunny climes holiday fund" and I will dutifully depart from the UK. I am sure that it could become a registered charity, as a valuable service to the modelling community, hmmm, yes, could be viable.

Having been delayed for 24 hours extra in Mexico, I was somewhat jet lagged for most of this week. The weather today was not that encouraging either. Non the less, I was ejected from the house by SWMBO.

At the field, it was apparent that i am was not the only doubtful modeller, less than a handful being present, including myself. My anemometer consistently indicated a wind strength varying from 10 to 20 mph, the upper limited being frequent gusts.

Did this weather put us of, you bet it did. It was a full 30 minutes before the first modeller launched a model, this was quickly followed by myself. I had only been flying about 2 minutes when I was startled out of my contemplation of my own model, by a loud clump, the other model had landed near by. Apparently flown in at speed, and then forced down. In my case, the issue was more of, why am I loosing so much height coming up wind, then climbing steeply going down wind. Also concerned that the down wind leg, the aileron authority was poor. On reflection, although travelling at speed, the model was nearer the stall than probably I intended. The first model landing was the excuse I needed to think about landing. First though a loop, then inverted flight. These manoeuvres convinced me i still have retained all my old skills, not withstanding the long lay off, still on the brink of disaster. In the landing pattern, I almost shouted landing, refraining from the actin, as this is not done in this club. The landing was achieved at the hover, so strong was the wind. Oh, I also landed not 2m from me. I then thought my new club would have so disapproved, preferring a middle of the distant landing strip landing. Now the last modeller made their flight, totally uneventful, other a long walk to retrieve the model, as the excess speed and the act of flaring had the model going on another 30m.

We all agreed this was time to rush of home, Spring, what Spring?

Sat here at the PC I also realised that I also had not checked frequencies, trusting that the other modeller was on his long standing frequency or using 2.4. Another black mark. It seems the lay off has also eroded some basic operating procedures.

Any way, I must get back to dreaming of +30C temperatures, lying on a sun lounger, under a Cocoa nut tree, Mojito in hand, a cool pool nearby  to contemplate, ah time for another Mojito I think. Now that is what I call a proper hobby.

There is another benefit from my all to brief Sojourn, which is that for the first time in probably 6 months, the last residual symptoms from Pneumonia, finally went whilst convalescing. Now I am thinking, why is this not available on the NHS.

Edited By Erfolg on 28/04/2013 14:52:55

Had to take a day off work for a variety of childcare duties. but did get an hour over the field this morning. Steady 8-9 mph wind from the NE, but bright with some bubbly clouds. Had 3 long flight with the Phoenix - each more than 15 mins, all on the same battery! Suprised to see the battery still at over 11v on the charger when I got home.

I have to say that seeing the Phoenix as a small silhouette agains the darker side of the clouds in the sun was just great. I'm sure I even caught a thermal or 2. Loving this glider!

After taking rc flying up again last year, and thoroughly enjoying the challenge and now electric flying, I've managed to get a few flights under my belt this year after the very cold winter.

Last time I flew was February this year, which felt like ages ago now. Went down to the club site today - had a chat with other members - fascinating what you can learn from others when joining a club. A bit blustery (8mph forecast, but more like 15-20mph!). I thought, yeah, let's go for it! - Had 4 great flights with my Riot (good model to relearn on) and landings getting better - at least they're on the strip now (!)

Hoping to pass my A cert this year and practising my figure of 8s - a question - as I said it was blustery today and my 8s were a bit oval-shaped - how strict is the examiner on these circles - it's obviously more challenging to fly great circles when it's blowing a bit wink

Also had a few flights with my JP Skysurfer (electric glider) which is also a good starter and relearning model - a bit light for the conditions, but good practice in coping with the blustery wind.

Had a good day today. Went out this morning and flew from 10 through to 2pm. Took my Pitts, Wot 4 and Ryan STA. Only down point was stuffing the wot in. It was my own fault. Trying to prop hand too low on a gusty day! Mind you I use that to fling aound all silly like. It's already glued and clamped up. First prang with it in 3 years. The Pitts flew well I'm gradually getting the hang of it. Had a good couple of flights with the Ryan. This is gradualy getting more and more oily and fuel residue soaked. Might have to retire it soonfrown.

I then took the Pitts out for an evening fly. I thought the wind had dropped a bit. it hadn't but at least the gusts had lessened. Had 4 more flights with that and then came home to have a warming single malt!!

or two!!!

Andy

I took a day's leave yesterday and spent the afternoon at the field with a H9 Texan/Harvard/SNJ5 whatever (bought from this site's very own classifieds), Crescent Tornado and the Little Bit wing. Despite a couple of minor niggles with the HK retracts in the SNJ5 losing their grip on the legs it was a very pleasant and relaxing afternoon. By 4:00 pm it even warmed up enough to remove a layer or two.

I have resumed my quest for a A certificate today, after some delay.

The model is at long last, trimmed out acceptably. This allowed me to undertake a few manoeuvres which are required and start the process of understanding of how the club applies the BMFA minimum requirements.

The figure of 8 was more of a challenge, than I envisaged. The first issue for me, is that I used to flying models much nearer and at lower levels to me. The idea that the model will be +200yds away and +100 ft all the time is alien.  I did undertake a couple of figure 8s. Non of which would have been acceptable. Firstly the shape was not round, primarily due to the effects of wind. The second was that my second part did not have both parts at the same height.

I did one loop, with this model and was reasonably satisfied, one of the clubs amendments was mentioned here, in that you are required to undertake two consecutive loops, making appropriate use of the throttle. This model should be capable of this requirement, having an abundance of power. This means that the start of the loop does not require a shallow dive to get the airspeed to get over the top, giving a greater margin for error.

With other models I made numerous landing approaches, ensuring that I hit the runway along the centre line, although exact place of touch down, is not as spot on as I would like. Gliding/small electric club, would probably not be impressed with the accuracy of most power type landing practises. Then an IC club would have a fit at the thought that a model would be caught, or landed within a few feet from them, and so on.

It has convinced me that there is a difference in the style of flying with glider and small electric clubs and IC clubs. Both having there own criteria, IC keeping models away and high, small electrics, relatively low and close, (so as to see them).

I will do what is necessary to get that A cert, after that, probably spend more time with my electric chums. I have no interest in big models either IC or electric. Plus I have concerns with the consequences of any incidents with big models, requiring the adoption of flying practises which are appropriate for them, yet a small model would not be seeable.

So coming to terms with what is wanted, then seeing if I can deliver.

Edited By Erfolg on 01/05/2013 19:33:06

Edited By Erfolg on 01/05/2013 19:37:17

Well sitting at home with my aches and pains waiting for the new sofa to be delivered.

I have the lipo charged and the Whizzza ready to chuck in the car. But as per normal the delivery man is taking his time. My window for a quick flight is closing. I do wonder why am I never first on the delivery list.

Hmmmm. Mike

As the weather today was great I went to the site. I work in retail and Monday is just another working day. In fact I am working Saturday Sunday and Monday.

Just me and our new neighbours.

img_0048.jpg

They are in a "no fly" zone well away from our normal flying area, and in the 3 months thay have been turning there have been no issues. We fly to the right of the picture. The main runway on which I am stood is also a "no fly" zone.

So back to today.

For the first time ever I took a completly electric fleet. Something I thought I would never do!

Just me and 5 battery packs, charger and drinks.

4 hours later I am as red as a beetroot.

Roll on summer.

Kev

Well the sofa arrived so went down club with the Whizzza.

First flight lasted a whole 5 seconds!!!!.

I bound the ar7000 to my dx8 at home and checked all the controls directions were correct and all was good.

At the club wiggled the sticks before take off and of it went. Commanded a right bank and it rolled left then inverted. I knew right away what was wrong but to late it went in inverted. Some how I had reversed the servo when adjusting the settings at the club.

Gutted by my own stupid mistake I always check the controls before I fly and as thought all was good. Did the walk of shame for the bits.

dsc_0067.jpg

dsc_0066.jpg

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 03/05/2013 20:24:45