Hurrah! Spring's finally here, how much flying are you getting in?

Up here in the North West, when ever the weather forecast is presented for the country as a whole, it never applies to us, so it seems. Take Friday, the prediction warm, sunny, with a light wind. The reality at the field, overcast, and the wind rippling the grass, like waves in the sea. The anemometer was showing wind speeds of 12 -20 mph, with the occasional gust of 25 mph.

Sunday, well, the prediction is the warmest day of 2013, with light winds sub 10 mph. The reality was overcast, light drizzle early on. though mild with wind speed max out at 12 mph. So not bad for a Bank Holiday weekend.

Surprisingly very few turned up at the field. One member returning from 6 months at Tenerife, another member popped in, to let us all know, he was of to Florida for a few months. In total, 5 of us. Not a good show for arguably the best day this year.

In my case, I initially flew my Delta, now the emphasis, is doing the basics, figure of 8s. rectangular circuits, landing approaches. All in preparation for that "A" cert. Then it was on to my trusty OD park flyer type model. The same procedure. Then onto my trainer of yore, which i actually hope to actually take the "A" test. Yep, you have got it, another dress rehearsal.

So the next step, is going to the other club to practise take offs, again all in preparation of trying for that "A" cert..

Good day though, all though a bit of a drudge doing the same thing time after time, yet needs must.

Edited By Erfolg on 05/05/2013 17:17:53

Advert

Managed to get out for an hour this evening only managed three flights, found my old dynam spitfire in the loft LOL blew the dust off and threw it in car.

Got to say it flew well and looked great in the sky (it's the unmistakable wing shape)

Going to get out tomorrow (all day) hopefully as this is meant to be best day of the year ! Just been in the loft getting my planes and heli out so I don't disturb anyone in the morning LOL.

Don't know how I'm going to fit them all in my van but I will try my best

Paul

Wot a fantastic day it was Today ,

i got to the field for around 10:00am and did not leave until 16:30 .

I took quite a lot of my planes and broke a couple too sad .

The weather was warm and sunny , and i think i will be paying for it tomorrow the back of my neck is starting to burn , my hands and face are brown .

I took my P51 mustang but forgot the wing bolt teeth

My son`s trainer flew a treat

My Prototype LB Special which flew very well in the warm weather , i managed to do Loops with it and even inverted flights . Which surprised me .

My Foam LB Special which floated along very well too

My Speedster flew very well but due to engine trouble and dead stick it landed in the nearby cow field and now i will have to fix a wheel back on frown

And finally my two Sipa 200 . I made some adjustments to my silver model and it now flys very fast and has a better roll rate .

I copied the setting from my silver model to the camouflaged one , unfortunately it did not like the changes and is sadly no more crying

But what a fantastic Day out i had .

Posted by John Privett on 05/05/2013 19:45:13:

Now busy re-charging batteries ready for tomorrow which promises to be better still.

And indeed "tomorrow" (today!) was better still. Warm, sunny weather (as the back of my neck is now reminding me!) and initially at least only a very gentle breeze, though that increased in strength and was almost directly across the strip. But a decent turn-out, I've not seen so many flyers there since probably last autumn.

Now busy charging batteries again! But at least I've got another 4 evenings to do that if need-be.

Edited By John Privett on 06/05/2013 22:40:32

Beautiful day yesterday - managed to fly:

Durafly Spit

Webbit

HK Spad

Sbach umx AS3X

Micro T-28

Elektro Junior S

Mini Ultra Stik

Spacewalker

FMS tempest

Blade CP

(And drove my leccy truggy!)

Broke fin on my Webbit and mashed up the tempest a bit

Managed 3 flights on the Sbach, the T-28 and Spad this morning before work too..... petty much a solid hour in the air Great way to start the day.

GG

Well, house rebuilding, family commitments and emergencies finally abated and the weather improved enough for me to get out flying this morning for the first time since October.

Tuesdays are non-IC days at my club though, so had to stick to an Electraglide and Wot4 Foam-E, plus Trex 500. VERY rusty on the sticks, but nothing broken. Gave in around 1 o'clock when the breeze had picked up so the windsock was horizontal and things were getting very bumpy for the lightweight leccies.

David

It is not Spring that has arrived it is Summer! Yesterday the warmest day of the year, the local NT park had more people present than at the winters sales. There was no chance of going flying then though, it is doing the same as the rest of the sheep that has re-enforced my marriage for all these years. Although retired, my wives employer is very firm with respect to time off, the bank holiday only. I want you back nannying on Monday night, and Tuesday. Yes my darling daughter my wife dutifully replies.

So today is more or less a free day for me! The last day of this years Summer! Not a club day. Ironically club No1 has a policy of encouraging people to fly where ever it si suitable, alone, or with members. Club No.2 discourages strongly lone flying. So it was off to club No.1.

The first thing I do now after unlocking the gate now is check the wind speed. Today a balmy 5-10 mph, with very occasional prolong guts of 15 mph, which I suspect are related to big thermals filling nearby.

Lone flying has lots of positives, the first that the wild life all but ignores you, getting on with what it does. So I watched a skylark, soar to the heavens and back, singing melodically. Two Buzzards emerged fro a distant copse some distance away, eventually gyrating down from the heavens. All around, bird song could be heard, quite unlike the winter, where only the wind could be heard humming from the overhead phone a local power distribution lines.

So my first flight was with my trusty park type flyer.

I

I am using this to practise figure of 8s, which close up and low down are quite easy. However I continue to struggle, high up and at distance, as required for the "A" cert. The most obvious the loss of reference points. The second is that wind is much stronger requiring a greater amount of compensation to keep round, plus the difference in relative wind speed, requires real effort to prevent climbing and sinking in the turns.

I soon got bored of this fag though, stated inverted fly pasts, rolls, loops, chandels etc, those things that the model is capable off.

Then of course I landed, a non event, probably a lot to near for club No.2, Still , that's life.angel 2

I then went onto my delta, prefers big manoeuvres.

Great fun though, the characteristic hum from the motor interaction, so very attractive. Then the timer sounded so landed. Again, I avoided the walk, in many respects, landings rare easier I guess, as you can see and almost feel what the model is doing. I guess that is why it is not approved off.

Then finally onto my trusty glider. Now what ever power flyers think, there is something quite challenging keeping a glider up. Feeling the air, watching every twitch of the model, anxiously seeing it being sucked upwards, then the annoyance, when it sinks brick like. I also find that my gliders are far more tolerant of high winds. A wind speed of 20 mph no issue to the model, finding and using thermals becomes far more transient, often standing waves can be found, to tease out duration. After some 30 minutes I had enough.

I had been at the field +1 &1/2 hrs, time to go home, a really enjoyable time, by myself, a nice change.

I know that Summer is at an end, my additional battery for my "A" test model was in the porch on my arrival back home.

it's been an odd few days:

Sunday - blasting the Tornado, Blue Angel and King Altair around to clear the cobwebs ready for the Sleap retro do. For some reason the KA was reluctant to spin, and when it did finally enter a spin it didn't want to stop, flicking from a right hand spin to left (may have been vice-verce though, can't exactly remember now). Finally it stopped spinning, exiting in something like an 85 degree dive. Tent-pegged to a depth of about 8" - far enough to bend the noseleg back. The ali spinner is a write off, as is the small removable section of cowl over the engine, one wing tip block parted company leaving the l/e skin to get a little wrinkled at the tip over about 15", the wing joiner is banana shaped, and the prop and wing bolts are broken. Amazingly little after coming straight down nose first.

Monday - dug out the Cularis and got the FF9 programmed for crow brakes, camber, full span flaps (flaps + flapperons). Off into the blue and into some really good lift. Finally it's time to lose some height so full crow and nose down to a height where I could see it, then a few aerobatics - cubans, inside loops, then an outside loop. Something flutters away from the model and the Cularis acts as if it's grown airbrakes. The something disappeared downwind as I brought the model in for a quick landing. Yep, canopy gone despite the additional magnets I'd added.

Still, the Dragon Lady and my old Acrowot flew well - one day I'll land the AW without the customary three or four bounces. Then I noticed the AW canopy has crazed, amazing that no bits have dropped off yet, and it's still less than 30 years old. So two canopies ordered last night, one for the Cularis and one for the AW.

Last night I thought I'd check the NIxx batteries in the Jungmeister, so I set the charger to cycle them three times. This morning it showed three 1500 mAHr charges and three 1500 mAHr discharges. Great. Get to the field, switch on, check the battery monitor and as soon as I move the sticks the monitor hits the red. Not so great. Still, the Eros vintage job was in it's element and my £20 Skallywag got a good wringing out, as well as drawing lot's of comments on it's VERY pink wings.

Just to complete the tale, when I went to get a gallon of fuel out of the garage this morning I noticed a nail in the Triumph's back tyre, and the aircon in the car has packed up again. I can't decide whether it's been a good bank holiday or badcrook

• 2 weeks later...

I had thought that there would be plenty of postings with respect to flying.

In my case i have flown a number of times recently. I am beginning to think that my flying sessions are a little different to many. Generally i slip away from home for no more that a couple of hours. partly because the weather has been so poor, i do not don my sunscreen, get my camping chair out of the boot, I just fly my models, have a chat, then of home.

After a stern admonishment with respect to gaining a "A" cert, I decided I needed to do a bit more. I have an extra Lipo for my trainer, started a back up model and ordered a full set things to finish. So I went to club N0.2 on Friday. Unfortunately there was no one there.

So I immediately set of my regular haunt, to find I was the only one there too! Anyway not to be denied I entered the field, startling two partridges in the grass, which is now long. There was a northerly light breeze, reasonable temperature. I flew my delta, having set my timers on the Tx for 5 minutes, landed at +1:15 min. At this point I was joined by a fellow member, who flew a 2 m model, apparently the air was not good, although considerable pockets of sink were evident, the accompanying lift was elusive. I finished my session flying my trainer, practising figure of 8s and circuits, having flown 4 models.

Sunday has been quite different, warmish temperature, very still air, the merest hint of wind (for the UK) about 4-5mph. The field was full of bodies, are we holding a rugby match breifly crossed my mind, as I view the wild scrum of bodies, naa, far to old, must be us old grumpies, out flying on the one summers day this year. I was so right. Everybody flew multiple models,multiple types, park flyers, aerobatic, pylon racers and so on, debated the virtues of various Lipo brands. I of course did practise the "A" schedule routine. My figure of 8s are getting much better, same dia, same height, precise cross over, what ever the wind. I have found that a good speed is easier than slow.

Then we all scurried of home for the motor cycle racing on BBC2.

Had couple of good days this weekend. No-one else at the field yesterday. Not the greatest day but perfectly flyable. Had some with my Pitts and maidened a scale Motor Falke. That didn't go too well. That was a complete handful to fly. I think the c of g is way out. Cosidering I bought it to relax with it was certainly doing the oposite!!! I've changed the control throws and mixed rudder in to the daileron, so hopefully it will turn. I've reduced the elevator throws as it was over sensitive in pitch and add some lead to the nose to move the c of g forward.

I was hoping to get it up this afternoon but it was a bit breezy. So I just threw my Pitts and wot 4 around for a couple of hours. At least I had some company today. I hope there are a couple of nice days at the end of this week. I've got a 1/4 scale Pawnee to maiden. Really should have taken it today but I can't take anything large when I have the Pitts in the car as that is in one piece.

Andfy

Edited By Turbycat on 19/05/2013 22:22:37

It was a good day overall yesterday, I took the Jungmeister, Super Skybolt and Acrowot along. The Jungmeister burned out a digital aileron servo while range checking so I was lucky there. So much for running old E-Max servos on LiFe, that's my first failure. I was asking a lot of these cheap mini digitals though.

The Acrowot just did what Acrowots do, it behaved perfectly in the air. Replacing the big mudplugger wheels with smaller foam jobs has reduced the tendancy to bounce back up on landing so that's a bonus.

The OS120P Surpass with it's 15" three blader in the Skybolt is always impressive, just sheer unadulterated power combined with a throaty growl, it never missed a beat. That's why I enjoy IC!

Great day yesterday, flew:

Webbit - and crashed it sad

Spad x2

Sbach x3

T28 x2

Elektro Junior

Mini Ultra Stik

Spitfire

Spacewalker

Tempest x2.

Then in the afternoon, I had an hours instruction on a full size Robin at Multi-Flight in Leeds/Bradford airport. Haven't stopped grinning. The air around Leeds/Bradford is surprisingly busy and I must have seen at least half a dozen light planes and about the same number of gliders. All bar one of the gliders was below 1,000 feet and so a goodly way down - they looked like models !

My 13 year old son also had an hour at the same time - he's not stopped grinning either.

Thoroughly recommend Multi-Flight - brilliant !

GG

Got out down the club today and took the Pawnee 40 and the P40B with me. Had a blast with the P40 as it does not hang around and eats up the sky. I had a good few flights with it

I followed this up with the Pawnee and did three flights also. However today the ASP70 didn't want to sing. I fly for around seven minutes and this leaves a third of a tank for reserve. The first flight went fine until taxing back to the pits the 70 surged and quit. Fuel was around a 3rd as per normal. Tried starting and nothing. Tried a new glow wand and plug and still nothing so I re-primed the engine and it fired up.

Second flight I flew for five minutes before landing as I had engine problem on my mind. I refuelled and checked everything over and all seemed good. On the third flight I decided to fly twice the normal height as I had a uneasy feeling about the engine. While flying I remembered the last session the 70 had also been a bit a pig to start which is not normal. It also occurred to me that so far it seems to be after the engine has had a full flight and the tank is down to a third.

I then thought maybe the problem is with the tank and not the engine. At this point on the downwind leg I heard the engine surge, pick up speed and quit. Now pulling on all my dead stick practice I made a turn in to wind and put the nose down. I had to land some distance away for me. On the walk I was thinking about the engine cutting. Had I run out of fuel I was pretty sure I had not but the surge sounded like fuel starvation but on checking I had a third of a tank.

I decided the problem needed a more detailed investigation and as I had no more fuel other than the what was left in the Pawnee I packed up and went home. I went with my gut feeling that the fuel line in the tank might have a split in it. I pulled the tank out and yep the clunk was free for the fuel pipe. However I was more suprised to see that the fuel line and almost rotted away to nothing and was full of holes.

I am aware this can happen to fuel lines in the tank but did not not think it was a bad as it was as until the last session I'd had no problems or issues and it was on my to do list as I wanted to change the tank.

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 22/05/2013 22:11:05

Here in the NW on Sunday the weather briefly improved, to the point that the sun could be seen, thermal jacket and gloves not being required.

I was due to spend a few days in Cumbria, yet, the weather was so good, i was given a dispensation to go out to play until lunch.

I took advantage and grabbed three models and went out with my mates. I was marvelling at the transformation of the fields on the way to our field. Gone were the vast lakes of water in the fields. Now many of the field s were a bright yellow, from rape, other fields were now covered in a thin covering of green shoots, of some crop with much growing to do. Yes, there were some rather large patches which were bare earth, where the lakes had once held court. I guess to the annoyance and frustration of the local farmers.

At our field the grass is now calf height, it will not be long before this is cut for silage, at the moment a cushioning system for some models, and a rather vigorous arrestor system for others.

I flew my first model, and really enjoyed the experience. I did note not every one was having as much fun, two models crashing. Mainly it would seem due to winter hibernation, and this being their first venture to the field.

I now went for my second model, going through my standard checks. Tx volts still fine, model correct, rates all down. Arm model, check control surface movement. It was now I noticed that the rudder was way off straight. Hmm, how can that happen. All my attention is now focussed on this observation. I moved the trim across to straighten the rudder up. The display was now showing a massive displacement from neutral, not a few points, possibly 20 or 30. How can this be I pondered. Another quick waggle of the sticks, whilst still pondering the issue.

Any way a strong launch had the model moving out, straight and true, a slight climb, now drifting to the left. A small amount of right was fed in. Not enough, it would seem, so more right was applied, the model was now strongly going to the left. The situation rapidly deteriorated, the model going in, quite hard. On retrieving the model it became apparent the damage was light, but enough to ensure this model will not fly today.

Then I recognised what the issue was. It was the wrong model that was selected on the Tx, this was model 3, not 1. All my models on 35 have their numbers painted on them, unfortunately on model 3, this numeric is on the body, under the wing, not immediately visible. I had looked at the Tx and saw one, and then thought, yes, this is model 1. When the rudder trim was out, I still not twig there was an issue, being more concerned about having a servo issue.

I flew my third model without any issue, other than the damper I felt with respect my accident and failure of my procedure.

Come Wednesday, it was time to practise for my "A" cert. It is approximately 20 years since I have taken of from the ground. This was my first with my trainer model, the second if my tail dragger is also included. The tail dragger had essentially taen itself of inspite of me.

Anyway I am now standing behind my model, instructor to my side. We had discussed what I would do, and had a plan. So I did what I used to do, put in some down elevator and opened the throttle. The model started to move, although it was apparent that the down was putting some pressure on the nosewheel, making the movement somewhat jerky. I let of the down, whilst opening the throttle more, the model was now leaping forward like a scowled cat, moving slightly to the right, which was increasing, when the model leapt into the air after hitting a bump and climbed away in a steady climb. Seems some practise is needed, to control the direction with the rudder, rather than standing there, thinking, hmm, i should do something, ah, yes, rudder, So not there yet. It seems my landings are also causing concern, as they tend to be shallow, aiming to caress the grass, with a minimum flair. I guess this comes from flying gliders without airbrakes, where the sink rate has to be judged carefully, to keep the speed just right, and not to much forcing down. Yet I still had made a mistake, and that was not setting the timer, which I did whilst flying. I am getting there though.

Percy

I stay at a place called Greysouthen (pronounced Greysoone), it is near to Cockermouth.

I have flown from the beach at Allonby and Sale fell nr I think it is St Margaret's church, sloping and using the electric motor (if desperate).