weston park model air show 14/15/16 June 2013

Thanks...have discovered that the trader I was seeking is Vulcan hobbies - contact has been made, and things are in hand thumbs up

Shame about the Komet - looked a complete write off, but as the pilot said, it has had at least 500 flights, so not at all bad. No explosion or fire at the crash scene either, and WELL away from anyone or thing, so no prob there.

The J10s of the German lads were superb, shame about the incident right at the close of the show... I was just about to run, when the PA cables did a fine job as an arrestor hook. My mate stood alongside me had already fled - I was dithering, unsure as to whether dodge left, right, or just run as it was headed straight at us LOL.

Loved the Bishop chaps and those very impressive Hawks ( cor, that 9 yr old grandson of his is superb already on the big jet! )

Ali jnr was on usual superb form, flew lots of stuff, all brilliant to my mind.

£11 does seem a tad dear, but I DO understand the cost of putting on such an event, and if its any testament, my daughter, son in law, grandson ( 3 yr old ) and my son and his partner all enjoyed the day ( Sunday ) and would go again next year.

Advert

Weren't they landing downwind just to avoid the need to backtrack the entire crowd length?

Just for show timing efficiency I guess - especially with the glider which would have had to be towed back to its trailer.

Landing downwind enabled models to launch more or less straight away as the fullsized ended up where they wanted to park naturally at the end of their landing runout.

Edited By Phil Cooke on 17/06/2013 16:31:14

BTW whilst I'm here I should say I travelled Sunday too, with my 3yr old son, a good flying buddy of mine and his 6 yr old daughter - we had a great day out, we all really enjoyed it.

The flying display was superb, a nice mix of models and flyers, the amount of trade stalls and their lay out was good, and the non flying entertainment for the family was pretty good too (something Ive never really had to consider at a show before my son arrived!)

This might sound petty, but my only criticism was the loos, not for me specifically, but for my 3 yr old lad, whos still 'learning the ropes' so to speak. We visited twice during the day, both times they were very dirty, no TP or paper towels and no running water = parental nightmare!!

Just a suggestion to make a great show even better Mr Holland - but couldn't we hire portaloos with those self pump water taps next time please - and manage them correctly through the day!? yes  Other than that - a top event and a great day out - see you again next year!

Edited By Phil Cooke on 17/06/2013 16:45:05

Went Sunday, and what a day, fantastic show guys, yes there one or incidents through the day, heard about the marque bombing run, heard the komet thump, and saw the German jet 2ft belly flop and slide and just missed the mid air Pawnee stand off.....glad its not just me then blush

Had several very interesting chats with people in the trade tents, namely Falcon Aviation, BMFA, Balsa Cabin and JR.

And the one thing that made the show for me, was my little chat with Dave Tappin, Barry (?) and Steve (?), sorry guys, I was so into the conversation, the memory banks forgot to store your names! lol

Worth every penny of the £11 entry, although I went down with a mate of mine who is into his cars and boats and I think he was a bit disappointed with that side of things, but we both enjoyed the show.

I thought there would have been a RCME presence though

Echoing Phil's comments, really enjoyed the show on Sunday (my first time at Weston), top flying action, good selection of vendors... my daughter and I really enjoyed the day.

With regard to the Pawnee mid-air, I happened to have let my daughter loose with my camera and I was rather pleased to discover she'd managed to capture a 10 frame sequence of the mid-air collision!

weston park 16-06-13-420.jpg

weston park 16-06-13-421.jpg

weston park 16-06-13-422.jpg

weston park 16-06-13-423.jpg

weston park 16-06-13-424.jpg

weston park 16-06-13-425.jpg

weston park 16-06-13-426.jpg

weston park 16-06-13-427.jpg

weston park 16-06-13-428.jpg

weston park 16-06-13-429.jpg

Glad it wasn't fatal for either aircraft involved!

Rez

Posted by Phil Cooke on 17/06/2013 16:30:13:

BTW whilst I'm here I should say I travelled Sunday too, with my 3yr old son, a good flying buddy of mine and his 6 yr old daughter - we had a great day out, we all really enjoyed it.

The flying display was superb, a nice mix of models and flyers, the amount of trade stalls and their lay out was good, and the non flying entertainment for the family was pretty good too (something Ive never really had to consider at a show before my son arrived!)

This might sound petty, but my only criticism was the loos, not for me specifically, but for my 3 yr old lad, whos still 'learning the ropes' so to speak. We visited twice during the day, both times they were very dirty, no TP or paper towels and no running water = parental nightmare!!

Just a suggestion to make a great show even better Mr Holland - but couldn't we hire portaloos with those self pump water taps next time please - and manage them correctly through the day!? yes Other than that - a top event and a great day out - see you again next year!

Edited By Phil Cooke on 17/06/2013 16:45:05

Hi Phil,

Next time if you wander up to the Big House you will find the most beautiful toilets.

But keep it a secret, we don't want everyone to know.

I do dispair sometimes people moaning about 11quid entrance ! A full days entertainment with lots of full size great displays you would struggle to see anywhere else entrance to the gardens included how much do you want to pay for a full days entertainment! Jesz Louise, be fair, to all those that have anything to do with Weston show, well done people, fantastic show and fantastic value, i will be there next year

I don't think anyone who went on the Saturday and Sunday are complaining, Lee - by all accounts, it was a very good show - but those who went on the Friday are very entitled to think they were short-changed, IMHO - they certainly didn't get the advertised full day's entertainment or attractions, it would seem.......

Let's compare it to the SBAC show at Farnborough - whilst it's open to the public on the Friday, the publicity always makes it clear that the Friday offering is rather less than the weekend - and the admission price is reduced to reflect this.

Something the organisers might take into account if they make it 3 days next year?

Pete

hi guys this was the first time we had tryed a 3 day show at weston , 1 month before the event we were told that 99% of the trade would open on friday but when it came to friday it was apprante that some had decided not to bother why we dont know ,same has the swap meet we were told he would be open we only did it to help the trade and cant belive that some wouldnt open when clearly they were on site

I managed to make it over for the Sunday. Really impressed with the flying and trade. The kids attractions were very good compared with almost every other show I have been to. The fireworks were, and always are, for me the highlight!.. oh - and Ali, and the 2 hovering jets, and the full size bisplay - infact - everything.

Well done Steve - keep up the good work - and when are you going to offer public rides in the Mario car?.. I would pay to have a go!

Phill

Lee you make a good case for £11 not seeming unreasonable for a day's entertainment. But consider this set of accounts!

It's "father's day" weekend - even if I wanted to I can't go out without the family on that weekend. So I'm not paying £11 to go in - I'm paying £44. My daughter was 15 the last time I went to Weston - 2011 - they insisted on charging the full adult entrance for her - that was one of the reasons I vowed I'd never go back.

I have to drive there and back - min £30.

Of course I have to feed the family - a few burgers and a drink for lunch, plus a cup of coffee and cake in the afternoon (my lot don't come cheap) and I'm looking at £50 plus on the prices charged there.

I've spent £124 so far, and I haven't even looked in a trader's tent yet. That's an airframe!

Now I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation. And what really jars is - comparison with the Nats.

Now at the Nats my daughter is classed as "child" and so gets in free. I have to pay £16 each for the other three of us - but that's not for one day - that's for three days and includes camping.

Also at the Nats - yes I can watch showline with all the pilots that would be at Weston - and more. But I can also watch the best scale, the best aerobatic and the best pylon racing pilots in the UK as well. I can move about anywhere I want on the field by car, I can get a good spec to see anything I want. Yes the price of food is above what you might pay outside - but not by as much as it is at many other shows. And there's entertainment in the evenings.

The difference in value for money is obvious I think.

BEB

But going to Weston Park isn't an instrinsic part of the hobby Andy - its a show not a model. And not everyone in the hobby has either your budget or your willingness to spend so much on model aeroplanes. And there are yet others who ponder why one group of people can provide three days entertainment for what is cliamed to be the good value price of one elsewhere? Complex world innit?

BEB