weston park model air show 14/15/16 June 2013

Just wondering how many of you expected a full turn out on Friday? Of course both parties are at fault. I'd thought that Friday admission would also either be lower price or valid for both days. As quite a few are camping, it is normal to go on friday/sat/sun and not expect a full show on friday - a setting up day.

We couldn't run the swopmeet, for example as some staff haven't arrived yet - they are working and due to traffic and time constraints won't arrive until evening, It would be illogical and foolish trying to run the swopmeet with staff missing and trying to be efficient at the same time - won't work.

Some traders were setting up, Inwoods, for example have a 3 hour journey, in Friday traffic, and running their shop - having to set up, which can't be done.

Shame it went this way. A 3 day show is a good idea, but needs to be re-addressed in the future...

Advert

I must admit I stopped going to Weston two years ago after many years of attending. I reluctantly came to the view that, I my opinion, the event is just not worth the the very high entrance fee. I was so dissapointed in 2011 I vowed I'd never go back, so far I haven't and stories like today's just reinforce my view.

I'm afraid that high prices, combined with poor facilities and disorganisation is a bit of a Weston speciality in my view. All this is great pity as without Woodvale it now my nearest show.

I know lots will rush to defend the organisers and remind us how difficult it all is and how hard they work. All of that I fully accept. But I'm afraid when you set up a show at this level of entrance price you have to provide a truly top drawer experience - in my opinion, year after year, Weston fails to live up to reasonable expectations.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 14/06/2013 23:09:31

As i said in my previous post it was advertised as a 3 day event and in my view it was not. I paid the £11 on the gate and expected a good show, the flying was great but the rest of it was a disapointment. In my view Long Marston was far better.

Posted by Simon Chambers on 14/06/2013 22:27:41:

I feel a bit sorry for the organisers. After all they can't control if retailers decide to open or not. I guess the price reduction was caused by the guilt that it wasn't quite what it should have been.

That being said I would be very peeved if I had went and paid £11 per person for half/quarter of a show...

I'm hoping tomorrow will be ok...

Si.

Oh I'm pretty sure they could - simply make it one the many conditions of attendance that they are properly open and trading for the hours as stipulated by the organizers!

Well - kind of back to normal today, but seemed to me to be only about half to two thirds the number normally there on the Saturday. No queues at the food outlets and seats and tables available - very unusual.

My old mate Peter Davies gave a nice display with the full size Calidus autogyro and the model flying was good given the blustery condition with lots of turbulence from the trees apparent.

Personal disappointment with the HobbyKing stall - nothing for sale, just displays of a few things. All inquiries met with 'order it on the internet when you get home'. Kind of why bother being there really.

David

Good day today. Flying was quite continiuous, considering the few thunderstorms we had. Some people were still flying when the rain started - and if it wasn't too heavy.

All the traders seemed to be doing well and good attendance - considering Sat was supposed to be the worse day of the lot. Sunday is Father's Day, and usually helps decide what the son to buy for their dad: Model show and a plane/engine...

I went today, Saturday, and enjoyed it ... (apart from when it rained, when everyone stampeded into the trade tents and almost crushed me to death as i was buying goodies LOL ) Loved the turbine powered gliders .... somehow I gotta have one ! face 1 ... Full size flying was good. Good turnout of trade stands. BUT ..... Sorry D B sound ... nice bloke, but you do go on a bit much ...... So yes, for me a good day out . Will be there again next year face 1

Same here the combination of the full size and great model displays resulted in a good day out . Trade stands were busy. Dave does go on, but the commentary,I think, was aimed at the the large family contingent that seemed to enjoy it.

It's always easy to find fault but , keeping in mind it was advertised as a family show, I thought it was well done.

Tom.

I thought it was a good show. The full size auto gyro was amazing, the hovering model jets at the end was jaw dropping and the heli flying in the heli section was excellent. The heli flying was so fascinating to watch, I'm tempted to start with them!!

Saw a run of that stupid little "Mario" jet cart. Sorry Bishops but what's the point? Even the Weston Park grounds utility quad truck was quicker! Plus Mario Kart is a 50cc/100cc/150cc go-kart not a VW bug - anyone under 30yrs can tell you that. Waste of a pair of perfectly good jet engines in my opinion.

Usual trade tents. Same old artfs. No model caught my eye except the expensive (but no doubt amazing) 3dhs kits.

Disappointed not to see Scott at the Hobbyking tent. They weren't selling anything which I heard a few grumble at. No doubt that pleased the other retailers. Not unexpected though as it would require VAT paying and thus pushing up the resale prices.

Got my hands on the new Aurora 9X which was interesting. I did let it slip that I wrote the firmware on the Hobbyking Hitec compatible receivers. The JP guy I was talking to suddenly became quiet and started talking to someone else. LOL I must have offended him...

I bought a bunch of accessories. Got a JP prop reamer that will HOPEFULLY be better than the crap I had from another retailer last time! Had a good look around the GiantShark tent. Brilliant that they're at the shows now. Plus got a 10% online discount voucher for them - can't find it at the moment but I'll put it up later.

Finally I bought my first ever "proper" kit!! Yay! A GiantShark/Galaxy AeroJet 540. Hopefully one not too hard for a kit beginner to build?? Only £35 though, so worth a try to build even though it may end up funny looking. :P

So all in I'm very happy I went. Rain showers had the potential to spoil it but they kept away.

Si

Well I loved Weston Park this year. Good variety of planes and pilots, the Germans were fantastic! Took the whole family and they all enjoyed it, even the wife!

For those who say that £11 is too expensive please remember that putting on a public diplay like this is expensive. Public liability insurance, services, rent of grounds etc all have to be paid for. When you consider you pay £10 just to see a 2hour 3D film at the cinema I think that £11 per adult/£28 for a family ticket was cracking value.

Also, having endured some very dreary commentators at other shows recently I think DB's commentary was engaging and amusing. Added to that, just when we were being frustrated by a line of show pilots who insisted on standing and talking (and swearing!) right in front of us blocking the view of the action for our two small girls, he asked all show pilots to sit down if not actively flying,readying models etc. Good on yer Dave! He's a legend.

Just wanted to say thanks to Steve Bishop for another excellent show. Didnt go Friday so cant comment on that , but Sundays show was the best this year by far.

I think Century UK were somewhere thee, hawking from the back of a van. Thought I was at a market.

Missed the Bishops fly on Saturday was there from 11 - 1500 and no sign. The jet car (100mph according to the website) was a disappointment, all it could manage on the wet Weston grass was a fast jog.

Loved the Pitts specials and the auto gyro. Noticed som traders were absent this year too. All in all a good day out.

Andy

Went there yesterday (Sunday) and had a superb day.

Entrance fee was fair for such a large event (£28 for a family of 4), I paid £50 for Cosford last week!

Trade stalls were doing well from what I could see, although attendance seemed to be down slightly (most probably because of the weather).

Air display was fantastic with the Bishop's 'Reds Duo' being the stars of the show (for me). Ali M put on a good show too (I reckon he's ready to take his 'A' test soon wink 2).

I heard DB sound say that a plane crashed into a marquee this year? Anyone know any details?

I did see the Piper Pawnee pair have a mid-air around 3:30pm, just after a red Me-163 Komet went in behind the trees.

Saturday had its biggest attendance ever apparently. Sunday seemed very busy too.

The plane through the roof was a funfighter that I think had a wing depart in flight. A hole in the roof of Inwoods marquee but no major harm done thankfully. Think it clipped someones hand but don't quote me on that.

The Horizon guys put on great formation displays all weekend with their pawnees and Decathlons. Yup they hit but both landed so hopefully easily repairable.

The 163 had a lock out. Not much left! : (

There were a few funfighters in the trees too as usual : )

Gregg

Went on Sunday and loved it. I don't mind paying £11 on the gate, to be honest, but I think I agree that a flight plan included in the price would have been appreciated - doesn't have to be a big glossy affair - a sheet of A5 with a list of the times on would have been perfectly sufficient.

As for the flying, I loved the Dawn Patrol. Brilliant scale flying. Perfect antidote for those without the eyesight to see the other wizzy things belting around!

I understand what you say about having a program and it would help for sure if the schedule remained as planed before the event. However the schedule always gets moved around in an attempt to keep things flying. Rain, crashes, no shows, engines not starting, full size etc etc all play a part in makeing it an extremely difficult job for the slot conroller.