Pick a plane 2008

As the most of you I have also chosen the Lysander but, have you thought about the difficulty of its design and lots of work through its construction? If it is the elected at the end, I think Tony Nijhuis is going to have it very complicated. I have not doubts about his talent, though. Besides, is the plan going to fit well into the magazine? Sorry for my English, I am still learning it

Advert

..............continuing on.....( race 4 Yeovil)........AND  aproaching the 300 mt..." IT"S  Lysander, by short head on Whirlwind,"..." then comes...... Hurricane , 1/2 a lenght behind..... Stuka also has move up well,.... followed by Mossie & Beaufighter right behind,..... next is Catalina.... with Fury , breathing down her neck, hard on her heels' is Chipmunk..... followed closely by Skyraider.... Storch and ME109  bring up the rear of the field"...........back in the members stand, it seems that, all is back to normal, Alice Petters  has recovered from the "duck droppings", altho the St, John's did a  have breif chat to her her, the duck has settled nicely into the "shrubbery", but that "frenchman" is still  giving the Knight's a hard time,................but.....it seems that Inspector Morse has "smelt a rat", he and his, men in white, are taking a look at the stable enclosure," I wonder "......... and by the way, Basil Flaulety has agreed to give us his "tips" in race 5, ( seems he has a  has a connection with "Dragon Fly", so they say) ..Sbyil is OK, went to powder her thing (nose)  ..... The weather forecast is  "gusty winds, followed by light showers, not good for the "light weights"...........NOW the  BLOODY..."Bobby's" are here,................ chasing some fella,................ WHat the F................... To quote a aussie, cricket commentator, " It's all hap 'ning 'ere"                       Bee   

Barry

Straight foreword numbers would be far more comprehendable. They also will allow  individuals to form their own opinions of the relative standings.

Thankfully we have David and Tony who I am sure access the value of the votes without unintentionable bias.

Just hoping the select model makes reach for the balsa and knive.

Regards

Erfolg 

HI, Those who have not voted yet, take a little time and read this and then  vote... Westland Whirlwind, twin engine fighter 1936 to 1947, most taken off duty in 1943. 2 sqds only  #263 and #137 , 112 built, faster than the "Spit" in it's day, single seater, more firepower than any, until the Beaufighter and Mossie. Very straight forward wing plan (for a model) elegant lines, high tailplane, "loads" of rudder and elevator , even in the true scale dimensions,simple "bubble" cockpit, straight "fuz" lines, BIg nacelles and low wheel height.   OK, There is ONLY  4 ( 1 so big it is not worth considering) , plans available IN THE WORLD, I know because I have built 2 of them (great flyers), there are DOZ.s of Hurries, Spit's, Mossie's, (have a look on internet) , so, WHY do we need another "done before".THIS aircraft is as simple to build as a "Typhoon" except it's got 2 "power plants"( i.c or elect .). NOT hard, just a little bit more care..... TONY, IT is prudient of me, with and without retracts,  ic. or elect and a enlargement service, for the bigger builder's(my thoughts).  Anyway, IF you want something different in spring to be "oggled" at by you club mates, YOU MUST VOTE ....   1,    Yes,.. ONE, WHIRLWIND........WHIRLWIND by Westland. Thanks David 

I keep on wanting a Hurricane....

My votes:

1. Hawker Hurricane

2. Consolidated Catalina

3. Ju87 Stuka(in spite of being an ugly airplane)

With all respect, I don't understand why some of You vote for D.H. Mosquito since Mr Nijhuis has designed two in different sizes in 2004? See June/ July 2004 and June 2005.

By the way: My D.H. Mosquito had it's maiden flight last friday. Built from the excellent Nijhuis-plan in RCM&E June/July 2004. Great flyer, absolutely no problems at all.

It's powered by 2 Apache 20-34T brushless motors drawing 8 AMps each out of a 3s1p PQ2500Xp Lipo-pack. Overall weight i 793 grams (about 28 oz)

Hmm

Gotta say i'd love to see a Douglas Skyraider but second choice would be the lissie too !

Stop voting for the hurricane i love it as much as the next guy but there is plenty of kits and plans for it lets get something a little different please

I think if I see another new plan for a Hurricane, Spitfire or Sea Fury I will pack this game in, the Sea Fury, Hurricane, Me 109 and others in the short list have been done to death and we just dont need any more of them.

The Lysander although a nice aircraft is a pig to build if you are not quite experienced so we need to look at all abilities, my three are Whirlwind because it isnt that common, Skyraider because it is a big solid aircraft and will stand some punishment and lastly either Chipmunk or Ju 87 neither of which is that common as a free mag plan.

Although I have spent many hours onboard a Catalina I wouldnt want to model it unless I had more than a few models under my belt already as that Parrasol type wing would be hard to build and easily wiped off in a crash,

regards,          Terry

Consolidated Catalina

DH Chipmunk

Douglas Skyraider

The Spifire, Huricane, Me 109, DH Mosquito, Beaufighter are all so availlable just now and have been offered as plans too. The Mossy has been my all time favourite for sixty years yet I cannot vote for it in this poll. The Catalina is not so common a quality model so one designed to DECENTLY fly from water is one I would like.

continuing on......................"AND at the first turn, passing the 500 mt post, where the race has settled down a little, even tho the breeze has pick up a bit",........................... "it's.... Whirlwind back in front , she' a fighter,"... "Lysander, finding hard going into the breeze, is still there"..... "then moving up is Hurricane, with Stuka 1/2 a length behind,"........ "a length behind is Mossie,'.. "and Beaufighter close"...."Chipmunk hard on their heels"......"then it's Catalina and  Fury,  fighting hard",....... "Skyraider is moving well and not out of this, by any means",....."ME109 and Storch  trying hard" ............................hmmmmm, Inspector Morse has gone down to the feed bins, and taking a few samples ,while his 2 offsiders are looking up at what the commotion is all about, seems like the "Bobby's are chasing the fella their way........ Basil Faulty, is making "Tin Soldiers" like movements, at Sybil, he's pointing at his wallet,... and over in the "shrubbery" the Knights of Neec (nic) have stopped their bickering with that awful Frenchman, and  looks as tho they have invited him  down......................   Bee 

I often wonder just what the Whirlwind would have gone like if they had dumped the Kestrels and fitted a lightweight Merlin, with around 1200 h.p in each lump she would have been more than a match for an Me 110 and a few others.

I have a set of plans for the Whirlwind with extended wings for gliding but I may fit it with a couple of electric motors for PSS etc,  by shortening the centre section outboard of the nacelles to correct size I can get back to original span but as it is a basic plan with no flaps or u/c it isnt worth making too many mods because the design wont really allow it without major surgery, much better our Tony designs us a good 'un!,

regards,        Terry

Terry, If I may, the Peregines where fitted ,Yes if they had of "dumped them", but at the time Hurricanes needed what R/R could produce, the Peregrines had problems, but Westland had no other choice, with Merlins ,they would have been a greater success, but that's the "way it was".  There is a beatiful Publication  out by............... giving you all the history, glossy,  photos, drawings and 3 views, 30page info about the aircraft. ( don't think I am allowed to advertise) As for plan by P. Wilson it is OK, needs some "rethink " for I.C...........Maybe after the race?  ...... Barry