Pick a plane 2008

Barry

In the 70s Radio Modeller did a plan for the Whirlwind it was about 60 or so inch span. The model i saw had two 35s. It was deffinatly one of the most beutiful models i have seen, well made to. The CG was deffinatly an issue.

The plane eventually flew really well, with enough lead in the nose. It did not last long as an engine problem resulted in it re kitting itself.

The second I saw did pretty much the same, do not know who designed or if it was a kit. Talking to the ex owner, he had problems with the CG, further back than he wanted.

I do hope it is selected, I think it could push itself to the head of the build schedule. I will, I quess be very rigourous about tail end weight. Ohh make it electric please!

Regards

Erfolg

YES  Efolg, That was/is  the only I.C plan .it was designed by , Gorden Whitehead , I built one and  it flew like a dream, the  plan said to hollow out the rear sheets fo balsa, forming the rear of the fuz, it was a very much a very "bulky" rear end if you didn't do as the plan said. I had great sucess with it, until a "black wire" battery problem, took it to many shows,..... 63" wing, 2 x 25 os in it , it looked great, as per any model in those days engine's were not as reliable as they are today , no on board glows assist,did not have the computers radio's, all of these things make it easier for "today's newcomers", but IF it wins, I am sure Tony has all of these things covered, THanks Barry. (ps CHRIS, best of luck, you'll need it with the Stuka)

Barry

I think the first model is a different design. It had a sheeted body, I understood it was designed by a Dave Cronan (I only remember that as Conan the Barbarian etc was very popular at the time) and Dave Hughes (seemed to be a technical writer as well as a modeller).

Heavy back ends (sounds a bit Hmmmm) may only be something which I achieve with consistancy, but I know that having one is bad news.

The model certainly seemed to fly well, as long as both motors worked as one. I hear what you say, I still would like to see an electric  version, although I now remember that Galaxy do a 48" kit. But I have a stack of kits which I never get round to building).

As for Stukas, they seem to fly very well as a model. Not fast, but not twitchy either (I think all the free flight/RC versions I have seen have cheated a little on the wing tip taper. I have even seen a Guillows version converted to rc electric flight (pre brushless and lipo) and it was fine if a little unscale like on speed (36" span I think).

Erfolg

Just had a thought.

If the Whirlwind wins. Perhaps tony would consider a 2 wing design? One as the Whirlwind and the other as the Welkin.

As I understand the Welkin to be a re-winged Whirlwind (with pressurisation).

I do not ever remember seeing a Welkin modelled, as free flight, Control-line or RC?

Only a thought

Erfolg

Can I have a Vote Please David?????

OK so :

1 - Whirlwind.......some 40 years ago I lived in Yeovil, Somerset and the house we lived in overlooked the Westland factory. lovely aircraft... Not easy to design this one in the time scale though!

2- Skyraider.....now this one is easy peasy to design.

3- Hurricane ....Just makes a nice addition to the Lancaster and Spitfire I have already designed.

Happy voting

Tony

Took almost no time at all for me:

Hawker Hurricane

Vickers Wellington

Fairey Gannet

( the Typhoon would have been number 2 but you just did it and number 4 would have been a Sunderland but you're doing that and I do really like the Lysander so make that number 5 for me)

Mike K in the USA

PS-- designed for electric would be a plus

continuing on, The T Nijhuis 3000mt. Stakes..........................................."And Whirlwind on the rails at the 50 mt. post still in front, by a "short head" then comes Lysander, Chipmunk, Catalina, and Beaufighter side by side , this a tough race, I/2  a lenght behind is Stuka, and Hurricane "pushed up as well,Mossie and Skyraider are neck and neck ,  with Fury and Storch a little further back,well back in the feild is ME109,must need a trainer or it's heart's not in it."................................and that bloody "ducks back".     B 

HEY "Whirly lovers" you can't ask much more than this, when even the "great man himself" wants to design one.    THANKS for your support, Tony Nijhuis, So all of you who are in 2 minds about which one to vote for, take the "designers choice" and ......................VOTE .......ONE..... Whirlwind.....by Westland.   Barry

Hi to all

My choices are preference in order. 

1- Hawker Hurricane

2- ME 109

3- JU-87 Stuka

As you may have noticed all the abve are single engined and more likely to be an achievable project with respect to experience  from many of those wanting to have a go at plan building.

Regards

Robert Carey 

Hi there all! Looking through the results, it seems there is bit of a thing for a Hurricane (hehe), and why not?

Lets see an electric twin!

1:  DeHavilland Hornet

2:  Westland Whirlwind

3:  Bristol Beaufighter

All the above with glow/electric options, 50" wingspan and retracts.  Any thoughts?

Bring on the multis!!  May the best plane win 

Hope the Whirly wins, it would be nice to have another twin designed by Tony. I would prefer glow but I am confident Tony can design it for either glow or electrickery. There is a full, and/or short kit avaiable for the Whirly from Kit cutter's INC for $350 US plus $67 US for the plans, equates to a little over 200 GBP I think, it is a little large at 108" span ( 2.745m for those of you who insist on Metric )so a plan for around 65"-72" would be a perfect everyday model.. Failing that lets have the Lysander..

Thanks Tony R. I did see about 6 mnths ago there were a couple of Guys in the U.S building one ( in a unnamed site), but I never saw the end result, did not know they had turned it into  kit  form, have you got there "web" address???. Yes it is a bit large at 108", and thanks for the Vote on the "Whirly" (fighter/bomber) Barry