Pick a plane 2008

Tony has already done a free plan of a 'Mossie" although it was  electric. in his dogfight  doubles series.

Whirlwind was a great but under developed aircraft, besides its nicer looking than a Stuka, which is available as an ARF anyway .

Beaufighter is also a good choice.

Hurricane plans are a bit scarce here in Australia as well as the  above 

Keep up the pressure Barry..  

my 1st choice has got to be the dh moquito i serviced this plane when i was in the RAF it was a lovely plane

2nd is the westland lysander

3rd westland whirlwind        john

I have been curious to see what the scores are, and the tele is boring.

• Hurr 25 up to p8 now (28)
  • Whirl 32, (34)
  • Fury 22, (26)
  • Skyraider 16,(18)
  • Storch 8
  • Catalina 23
  • Chipmunk 24, (26)
  • Stuka 33, (39)
  • lysander 33, (36)
  • Mos 25, (30)
  • Beu 24, (26)
  • Bf 109 11, (14)

Generally the Stuka seems to the best consistantly. The Hurricane started poorly. Also the Lysander does consistanly well.

It does seem that the most charismatic planes are both the Lysander and Stuka. Both seem to be a problem to model, the Lysander lacks wing area (relying on its high lift devices), where as the Stuka has an almost pointrd wing tip. I guess in both cases you cheat to get a good flying model. 

The most popular twin is the Whilwind, but would the Mossie be ahead without Barrys promtional efforts?

Erfolg 

Ok, my sheet shows up to page 10, (and I have done this 5 times)... Lysander.. 39.  Whirlwind...38. Stuka...35.  Mossi....31.  Hurricane...32.  Beaufighter....29.  Fury....27.   Chipmunk...24. Catalina....24     Skyraider...16.  Storch& Me109...14...................... So at the 250 mt  post at Yeovil, That is how they stand.    Barry

Barry

I guess you are counting some of the treble votes, as your total's are apparently higher. I allowed one per person per plane.

I assumed that this would be the intention of Tony and Dave.

I have not bothered to double check, as the winning model has possibly to satisfy a number of criteria

• Tony has to build it,
  • The model needs to have enough charisma to get people to buy the magazine
  • The model needs to make commercial sense to magazine ie moldings and any other sales related extras. Therefore people need to build it not just ogle.
  • It has to make commercial sense to Tony, via his web site, which could be kits and part kits.
  • It should fly well enough to make it to the local flying field on a regular basis, the exposure of the model helping to build demand, in the UK  that needs kit makers etc. to help sustain the hobby.

So an accurate tally may not be that important. Any attempts to distort the vote (by multiple voting, promotional endeavour)  may not  be in the long term help the hobby or the magazine.

I am really interested in what modellers like, not what they should like (no political correctness for me).

Erfolg

Well thanks, Erfolg, But ,"there in itself" is  an answer that only Daivd can answer,, But,, he Has Asked for "your top 3 votes"  and to me, that means that  all 3 votes will count in the final tally up.   So that is "why " .............. Vote......1 , 2 and 3.........Whirlwind.........  Barry

Hi, after sitting on the loo, I thought I had better clarify the race rules,THis is "my system" for the " Race" in the "Pick a plane"  contest in will probably differ,   OK 1 .   Everybody gets 1  "thread"  to choose, if you vote for 3 different planes/ horses, the vote count for each horse,  2.  If in your " thread", you choose to vote for Whirlwind x 3 times, then Whirlwind only gets 1 vote, 3 the total  of number of votes for each horse,in the tally,.... count,  at each 50mt post. GOT it.................     Bee  

Just been finkin  .

Why Oh why does it have to be a warbird?

What about a civvy!

High tailplane (like the Whirlwind) 

Simple wing plan (like the whirlwind

bubble canopy (like the whirlwind)

but with onlt one motor and a fixed undercart

Ladies and gents im talkin 'bout the Piper PA 38 Tomahawk.

Give it some thought, loads of paint jobs to choose from instead of booring old olive green and sea grey or matt earth.

Dave - This is a short list from a previous vote last month so it was there that you would have had the chance to suggest a civvy, as many did....but not enough.

There are several ways we could use but we'll probably just go on a first past the post and then use 2nd and 3rd choices if there's a tie. Still a few weeks to go (to end of March) till the voting closes.   

Texus, Who am I?????, read my "profile" or some of my "threads"..... I am on a "Quest", not for the "Holy Grail", But to try and convince some you that the "Whirlwind" Needs a bit more exposure than 3 plans in 35 yrs, and thanks, for  the Q..... Now it's time to glue part "F to E'......... I'll BE BACK ....for at least the next 23 days......( 2mins.28 secs)       Barry    ps. yes I am a friend of the Mag, I buy it every month, have done for the last 10yrs, ARN'T you.

I have to wonder if what Erfolg says has any truth in it. I mean he has a point, if it was me who had to build what you lot voted for I would put a lot more heart into building a model of something I actually liked and therefore I would count the votes all ways, IE 1st vote only and then all 3 no matter even if you said the same plane 3 times and then all 3 unless you said the same plane 3 times. This would give (up to) 3 different results and then at least Mr Nijhuis gets a choice.

The other thing is, how many of us that actualy vote are going to build the winner? I voted last year and would have built the Hurricane if it had won but didn't build the Typhoon because it just doesnt appeal to me even though I am an avid warbird fan.

If we still have 3 votes each then that means I still have 2 left as I have only mentioned 1 in my last post, and I am sorry to say that it wont be for the whirlwind. Why, well although I agree that it is a much undermodelled plane and I am a fan of twin engined aircraft, and as I already said I am a  warbird fan, its unfortunately let down by the combination of bubble canopy and that horizontal stabilizer set up. It just doesn't look right to me.

I lreally ike the mossie but dont think it should win as there are kits plans etc available with ease on the net, even from Tony himself. Although I like the Lysander its way down my build list so even if I voted and it won I probably wouldnt build it.

So that leaves me back at the Hurricane, If you look for a hurricane kit they either cost a stupid fortune or they dont look anything like a hurricane should. Even Tony himself wants to build a Hurricane so come on lets give the man what he wants an put a proper Hurricane on the market at last at the right price with all the available wood packs plans etc...........VOTE HURRICANE       Al

UM

I do wonder how many free plans get built. Suprisingly, to me that is, it is often something which has no interest to me. We have had a large number of Paddiwacks? in the club I am a member.

Its appeal appears to be that it flies well, and is easy to build. I see the odd scale planned model, yet these are few and diverse, so no apparent trend. These have ranged from Venoms, some Danish parasol, Provost (piston) and strangly a number of German design exersises which never flew.

Of the scale models it appears to be a sucession of Ripmax Spitfires, they are relatively cheap and fly extremely well, on power or off, with no nasty habits.

Most of us modellers buy magazines out of habit, or because we see something in the magazine which interests us. It could be a plan, or an article on something like how to make Decals with our PC and printer, or wiring multiple brushless motors and batteries. 

So what ideally, should win? In my opion, something that Tony wants to build. I would like it to be something unusal, in that it is not often modelled and to be practical. The practical seems to the thread that drives a lot of the home built models. I do suspect that many modellers have a Sunday best model which has never seen the light of day. Yet the majority of models need to be able to handle that Sunday and evenining flying on a regular basis. The winner needs to make want to buy the magazine and not pick up a rival.

Erfolg