Wings n Wheels 2013

Hi John, Yes its the same Opus. I dont think I have ever owned a plane for so long and flown it so much and so hard! Looking forward to its return!

Thanks for all the feedback on the EEL. It still amazes me how much love there is for this Iconic aircrsaft. This makes it bringing it out that bit more special and worthwhile. Now if only it was a pleasure to fly.... Guess I cant have it all !

Regards Al

Advert

yesterday at wings and wheels in the last hour three top notch pilots crashed within 15 minuets of each other it looked like complete loss of signal the likes of this has never been seen before at any show .They asked for any one with videos to hand them in to get some idea of what had happend.

The Big Pitts engine failed ( not the first time from what I gather ) The pilot did a great job of getting it back to the runway but the subsequent hard landing took the gear out . Cant see how that was a loss of signal

The Big Extra. I did not see that one until it hit the floor so cant comment too much on that one, but the piot did not report a loss of signal

The small glider was dumb thumbed into the ground.... by me! I can confirm no loss of signal.

Posted by jack lackmaker on 01/07/2013 10:14:54:

yesterday at wings and wheels in the last hour three top notch pilots crashed within 15 minuets of each other it looked like complete loss of signal the likes of this has never been seen before at any show .They asked for any one with videos to hand them in to get some idea of what had happend

Hi Jack - I think Ali has asked some of the key questions here but I have a couple more:

1) Who reported a loss of signal?

2) Who asked for videos to be sent in?

3) Please read the thread before posting - the incidents have already been reported.

Thanks

Olly

There does seem to be an element of sensationalism creeping in Olly..."Freak interference hits airshow!!!"

I saw all 3 incidents and none of them struck me as having any suggestion of radio problems - of course, authoritively confirmed by Ali earlier and it was Dave Bishop who called for anyone with video of the Extra going in to bring it to him so that they could look at it to find out what happened - and I heard from a fairly good source a little later that it seemed to be caused by a locked rudder servo.

Please let's not get into any sort of conspiracy theory here...and it was a lot more than 15 minutes between the three incidents!

Exactly my point Martin.

I wasn't there, as I was shedding all weekend, and would not have been able to justify cost/time to travel so far, but from what I have seen in the thread I think the key thing is that there is no 'shared causality' between the 3 incidents.

Olly

(In case it didn't come over that way, I was agreeing with you, Olly.)

...talking of the great Dave Bishop, I loved the commentary when the (TJD?) team were flying a couple of P47s, Hellcat, Corsair and a Mustang or two along the lines of..."All these planes flew during World War Two, boys and girls, I'll go through the countries of origin as they come past - America, America, Ameri... oh, they're all American - there aren't any Spitfires..."

The less said the better ....( applies to commentators too I reckon....)

Full marks to Ali for giving us the cause and not making excuses.

Ali was around the crowd line, between flying on Saturday, with his Starfighter and Lightning showing & explaining the details to members of the public, so again full marks. This was much appreciated by those present.

I'm a big fan of Ali's flying. He was interviewed by DB while he was flying on Saturday and said that every time he flies he makes at least one mistake, its just that he covers them up so you don't notice. He strikes me as being a really nice bloke.

Ali got a cup on the Sunday for his flying. After the crash DB quipped that maybe they would want their cup back! teeth 2

Thanks for the comments guys. I personally think it should be mandatory for the pilots to go and talk to the crowd after a display. After all we are there to entertain you guys who have paid money to come and watch. The commentator can only provide so much info and in the cases where the pilots have not supplied any then thats not much at all. I have never worked out why some people stage their models pointing away from the public and then sit all day with their backs to them as well. I really enjoy the questions about the models. For me the tin pots are nice, but by far the best reward for me is getting to talk to fellow modellers or even just aviation nuts like myself. When they say they have enjoyed a display, or better still that I have inspired or helped them in anyway.... thats better than all the trophies. Back to the crashes. I have just been doing my best CSI ( crash scene investigation ) and watched a video of the Giant Extra crash and it looks to me as if the rudder stuck over to one side. Quite amazing considering how many of the best servos were fitted!

Ali, the Lightning is indeed an iconic aircraft. I'm lucky enough to have seen a pair of them fly at an airshow at Biggin Hill 30-odd years ago. But I've probably only seen ever two model Lightnings, yours and another that I didn't see fly - I think the other was Shane Harding's and was also at W&W some three or four years ago. I guess there's enough of us around who either have distant memories of the full-size Lightning flying - or wish they had!

Your comments during the afternoon flight at Blackbushe probably confirm why so few model Lightnings ever appear - yours certainly does look a little twitchy in the roll axis! I'm not quite sure what you thought when Nigel stuck the mic under your nose during that flight, but I for one, and I'm sure the whole crowd too, appreciated hearing your comments first-hand on the aircraft.

Great show on Sunday. Shame about the crashes.

Steve Carrs Extra crash has been posted on You Tube, looks like a radio issue to me, full left rudder applied although it is difficult to see what else but there didnt seem any corrective action until it almost hit the deck. It looked odd when watching it in person.

I'm sure we will find out in the press.

Best of luck Steve.

Mike

I was there on Sunday but left before Steve's crash. Watched it on Youtube - there was very little time and altitude to apply any corrective measures, and doubtful whether anything could have saved it. Shows the virtue of flying a safe distance from spectators.

I thought it was a good show, and endorse everything said about Ali above - top guy!

The trade presence was still pretty good, considering the climate. Hats off to Hobbyking for attending, albeit only with samples, not selling. I noticed another stand nearby selling Durafly and other HK items, about 50% more expensive - wonder if they did much trade?

Posted by Michael Whiting on 01/07/2013 21:29:21:

Steve Carrs Extra crash has been posted on You Tube, looks like a radio issue to me, full left rudder applied

I think there's a distinction to be made here bearing in mind the nature of some earlier posts. As I understand it from information received from a friend on the day and from one of Ali's comments, there was a servo failure and NOT a radio problem.

Edited By Martin Harris on 02/07/2013 15:04:24