Wings n Wheels 2013

Advert

My tickets arrived this week. Going both days but will spend at least saturday morning at the market at the other end of the airfield to sweeten my good lady. She is very forgiving about my model spending!! Making a long weekend away and staying at a local Premier Inn - a perk of being retired. Saves a lot of travelling from West Sussex.

John

Posted by Martin Harris on 29/05/2013 17:09:08:

The majority from our club usually go on the Sunday and it's the one show that we never miss. Trust those Northerners to organise the Greenacres fly-in on the same weekend - every year!

The last time I looked Greenacres was near Walsall, which is near Birmingham. From my geography lessons (a few years ago) this area was considered to be the Midlands. There again I am from Yorkshire. I'm not going to say that this is what we expect from Southerners, but you don't do yourselves any favours do you ?

Roll on the great referendum, when Yorkshire and Lancashire vote to join the Untied Counties of Scotland. Then no doubt we'll get called southern jessies !!!

kevinb

Which day to go may depend on the weather but bear in mind that the market on Saturday causes horrific traffic jams as you have to go all the way up to the market to come back to get into the planes. Took me 45 minutes last year after I passed the planes entrance ( no right turn ) to get in. They wont even let you go around the next roundabout you have to go straight on. Dont understand - you will if you go Saturday unless they improved from last year! Sunday must be better from that aspect.

I'll most likely be going unless the weather is dreadful. And probably on the Sunday.

The last time I went on a Saturday (about 12 years ago!) I got held up badly between joining the sliproad off the M11 north-bound and arriving at the entrance. The best part of an hour was spent on the sliproad and the roundabout at the end of the sliproad - after that it was plain sailing!

I don't think the Saturday traffic is so bad these days. If I did go on the Saturday I'd either exit the M25 one junction early and head cross-country, or keep an eye on the M11 exit as I approached it and be ready to carry on north to the next exit and turn around there hoping the queues would be better southbound!

One advantage of the cross-country route is driving past a road-sign that always makes me smile - directing you to the "Secret Nuclear Bunker"!

Secret bunker sign

Posted by kevin b on 29/05/2013 19:21:47:
Posted by Martin Harris on 29/05/2013 17:09:08:

The majority from our club usually go on the Sunday and it's the one show that we never miss. Trust those Northerners to organise the Greenacres fly-in on the same weekend - every year!

The last time I looked Greenacres was near Walsall, which is near Birmingham. From my geography lessons (a few years ago) this area was considered to be the Midlands. There again I am from Yorkshire. I'm not going to say that this is what we expect from Southerners, but you don't do yourselves any favours do you ?

Roll on the great referendum, when Yorkshire and Lancashire vote to join the Untied Counties of Scotland. Then no doubt we'll get called southern jessies !!!

kevinb

Sorry, my mistake - I knew I couldn't make it and thought it was W&W again that it clashed with but it's our club's midsummer BBQ and fun day this time.

Re. geography, everyone knows that the South starts at Southampton and by logical extension, ends at Northampton. Everything beyond Northampton must therefore be North....cheeky

The good news is that you'll all be free (and welcome) to come down and enjoy Wings and Wheels!

• 4 weeks later...

The problem again last year was the airfield entrance road on the Saturday--for some reason they make us go all the way past the entrance for a mile or two and we cannot turn around at the roundabout ( inside airfield ) and have to queue for about 45 minutes at 11 am. Madness! It's due to the Saturday market. Sunday is better but you miss the British Grand Prix......but better if you are a Moto GP enthusiast ( that's a Saturday one at Assen )

But it's a great show due to the trade stands.

( John Privett......the Secret Bunker is well worth seeing. I won't tell you why because that would spoil it, but an interesting hour or two can be spent seeing how our money was spent...plenty of surprises.)

Off OP I know but seeing as it's being mentioned, a lot of local scout groups used to have 'camps' down in the secret bunker - was spooky when all the lights were turned off as it is black and silent so was a sort of test of courage for the scouts (don't know if they still allow it tho'.

After all the faffing about by BBC over the F1 coverage, I'll watch it on replay just like half of the other Grand Prix.

The Bring and Buy is always worth a visit.

Great day! teeth 2

The weather was fine, even had some sun! The models were fantastic and so was the flying!!

Ali was on top form with his 'sports' jet and his Lightning was sublime. It even has re-heat! Dave from Colchester A1 Models flew the Boulton Paul P111 'Yellow Peril' jet, a model I had not seen before. It looked great in the air. He seemed to have landing gear problems and did a terrific wheels up landing.

Looked like a good crowd and the bring and buy seemed to have some quality models for sale. got a few bits and bobs but nothing too extravagant, still there is always tomorrow! smile p

Yes, a great day out!

I too enjoyed the jet powered glider piloted by Ali. His final run along a quarter of a mile of runway, inverted at 10m off the ground and gliding only was unbelievable. A quick climb, followed by a wing over and immediate landing finished the display. Very, very professional IMHO.

(If I could fly half as well I would be so pleased!)

Pete

Very true, Peter. Old DB made me laugh when he said "he's half British everybody!" He also got himself into a fit of giggles over something which was quite amusing as well. That man helps make the show in my opinion.

Where were the Dawn Patrol boys though? The lack of WW1 stuff was the only disappointment.

Wasn't planning to, but will be there tomorrow - a Lightning on reheat? Sounds like my cat...!!

Even the Mrs wants to go... Any ideas how I sneak that 1/4 scal Spitire past her?

Can't wait.

"Where were the Dawn Patrol boys though? The lack of WW1 stuff was the only disappointment"

WHAT???!!!?!?!?!

Steve

Edited By Stevo on 29/06/2013 20:32:53

Edited By Stevo on 29/06/2013 20:33:55

Posted by Tony Read on 29/06/2013 20:11:08:

Very true, Peter. Old DB made me laugh when he said "he's half British everybody!"

I did laugh, as after nearly every flight, he'd say "Another british man with a british plane" or something similar.