Field etiquette

Geoff Bradley

I'm a little confused as to what is expected at the flying field. Having read the BFMA handbook there is little information as to the safe oral 'calls,.

'Dead Stick' is an obvious call but I am curious as to what other 'calls' are used at different clubs. Also do clubs list such 'calls' in their rules and regs ?

Advert

As far as 'calls' from pilots, in no particular order.

"
On the patch - (to collect a model etc from the 'runway' area)

Taking off,
Landing,
Dead stick,
Low pass,
Oh help I am going to crash!.. or other words not to be typed on the forum.

We also get some full size light aircraft over flying our field so we call out to make sure that pilots are aware and get models below/ out of the way.

I suppose its a question, not a statement! "Ok to take off?" - other flyers reply "yeap" and off you go!

We have:

"Lining up" - statement that you are about to taxi out onto the strip.

"Taking Off" - when you start your take off run.

"Landing" usually called approximately downwind on a landing circuit.

"On the srip" - if you have to retrieve

"Srip Clear" - if you've been on the strip to retreive but are no longer on it!

"Dead Stick" - obvious

If its busy we call low passes.

Its not really a case of "rules" - I think its just common sense and simple courtesy where you have several pilots flying together sharing the same airspace and strip.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 07/08/2013 23:22:53

Similar stuff...

OK to taxi out? [go out (discouraged)] [hand launch]

Taking off

Any manouevre interfering with the normal circuit - e.g. looping in front of us, low pass, training manouvres such as reverse circuit, figure of 8...

Dead stick

Landing,

OK to retrieve?

...and from anyone in earshot, people/horses/cyclists in the lane, low flying aircraft or other potential hazard.

Also an occasional "crossing the runway" (when expeditions are underway to retrieve a model from the woods/adjoining fields) or trespassing ramblers are in the next field.

Posted by Tom Sharp on 08/08/2013 00:01:11:

One call you dont hear to often nowadays is "Interference".

No, it's been replaced by "brown out" or "lock out"
emotion

calls are all about making good communication so that noone gets suprised by anything that you're doing.

I think the Cyprus club i fly with have rules, just so that they can break them, i was on a maiden flight with a Great planes Revolver that was proving to be a handfull and when i finaly got it down on the final aproach to land a big 4 wheel drive crossed the strip right in front of me with no regard to anything around him, and he was a regular flyer

I was in the pits tending to my plane and got hit in the back with another one, engine still running , when i told them what i thought they were it nearly came to fisty cuffs.

They are a nice bunch of guys but dont understand or just ignor rules, and this is after a German got hit in the face with a helli neading £15000 worth of medical treatment,

A lot of the Brits wont fly on a weekend for safty reasons

But the sun shines so not all bad

SR71....yep, I'll second that, but thats the cyprus way. Last time I discussed the lack of sticking to sensible safety rules I was told that this is a dangerouse sport and we sometimes have to accept that things can go wrong.

I fly and behave in the pits as I did in the UK and am always very aware of what is up in the air.

What not to do, although some do:

Take off and land in the pits.

Do low passes over people's heads;

Prop hang infront of other pilots' noses and do that for 10 mins;

Run in engines in the pits, but with the prop facing the crowd line;

Fly helis infront of the pilots area and keep it there, also do very low figure of 8's over the runway, so no-one can
land or take off until you're finished;

Start turbines with the effluex facing the pits/crowd line;

Taking the model and yourself into the strip and take-off standing behind the model. Once the model is airbourne, hang around the middle of the strip until you want walk to the pilots box when you want to tell others how well you can fly.

On landing, mimic the model's actions but swaying the ducking and finally falling flat onto the ground, watching the last mm of height lost as the wheels touch down and looking like you're in control.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 08/08/2013 21:51:58

I'm uncomfortable with the slightly pompous 'pilots voice' some people adopt when calling, sounds like RT procedures..... play it safe but sometimes it does sound a bit OTT!

We often have an equal mix of gliders & powered models so even 'dead stick' seems a bit 'so what?'

I'd much rather it was left to common sense than (heaven forbid) a BMFA ruling.

I did once hear someone call "low pass..." (ok I thought.) "left to right..." (yep, ok.) "inverted..." (erm... ok.) "below three feet..." (WHAT?)

That's probably me...wink

I did say, "Preparing for landing; Flaps one; undercarriage down and three greens; Going onto finals, flaps 2; over threshold. Taxiing. Parking, commencing engine shutdown: Ignition, Fuel battery!"

Yesterday I called 'Scale' inverted low pass with my GWS Foam C-130 Hercules. Bit sad, oh, well...smiley

• 3 weeks later...

I Think (not a member yet of any club as new to this hobby) that the rules are there for a very good reason, especially for a medium to large club with lots going-on and que's to 'Have a go' I respect others and 'Care' about their 'well-being' weather i know them or not. as for the post about the chap in cyprus with motor running whilst walking about in the pits...??!! flippin ek'!!!

This is a dangerous hobby, make no mistake, and if the rules 'Cut Down' the likley hood of (god forbid) ever having an accident, Then it gets my vote....

Last night i was on my own in a field maidening myself using a T-45 EDF plane, these were my 'Field Calls'

1. OH criky i must be mad...here goes!!!
  2. Yesssssssssssssssssssssss
  3. OMG!!!
  4. jeezzzzz
  5. WOW
  6. i need a beer now.....

Fly Safe Team....

Kind regards Ade.

Posted by ADRIAN EADES on 30/08/2013 07:53:47:

I Think (not a member yet of any club as new to this hobby) that the rules are there for a very good reason, especially for a medium to large club with lots going-on and que's to 'Have a go' I respect others and 'Care' about their 'well-being' weather i know them or not. as for the post about the chap in cyprus with motor running whilst walking about in the pits...??!! flippin ek'!!!

This is a dangerous hobby, make no mistake, and if the rules 'Cut Down' the likley hood of (god forbid) ever having an accident, Then it gets my vote....

Last night i was on my own in a field maidening myself using a T-45 EDF plane, these were my 'Field Calls'

1. OH criky i must be mad...here goes!!!
  2. Yesssssssssssssssssssssss
  3. OMG!!!
  4. jeezzzzz
  5. WOW
  6. i need a beer now.....

Fly Safe Team....

Kind regards Ade.

Iv'e seen your other thread regarding this and that made me laugh, but this is even better. So good to see someone enjoying themselves as much as you are.

Happy and safe flying. thumbs upthumbs up

Edited By Ross Clarkson on 30/08/2013 17:07:51