Do you ever get nervous when flying?

Sometimes if a new model is ready for flight the nerves are heightened (even felt this with a foamy T28 that is a well known reliable and stable flyer).

I also have a few observations that may or may not be true.

1) If you built it yourself, a little bit of nervousness must be in the pit of your stomach and maybe a bit of proof for that theory is those modelers that build two identicle models at the same time, and those test flights flown without final paint job.

2) The more you fly the better you get and the more confidence you will have.

3) your favourite flying model is just that, because she gives you confidence to try manouvres again and again, adding to that confidence.

4) If you are flying a $5000 model while on a $500 wage, then the odds are in favour of the gods.And you should be nervous.

None of the options really fit for me so I've gone for "If there is a problem" as a catch all, for example flying at an unfamiliar site, an expensive model or whilst taking a BMFA test. There's loads more circumstances where I can feel a bit shaky though I tend to find that once the flight starts concentration takes over.

Flying in bad weather doesn't bother me - it's part of the pre-flight, if the weather is unsuitable then don't fly, nothing to be nervous about there dont know.

I think it would be very unusual not to get a bit nervous at times.

Ian

When I started I used to get nervous going to the field, worried that it may have been a wasted trip with no-one there...

Nowadays I don't get nervous, except if its a maiden on a new expensive model that I have no idea if it'll fly ok. However I try and forget about that fear before take-off and even if I had any fear, once I have altitude I'm alright.

I try not to get nervous or panic, as both fear and panic I find are model breakers! Usually when its going wrong, there isn't enough time to panic - just time to get on with the job and get out of trouble...

When I have panicked, I have almost always made another mistake and crashed!

Si.

Nice to Know i am not alone when i say i get nervous every time i go flying, unless i am in the park with my son with a foam plane that will bounce .

If i am at a unfamiliar site or there people i don't know watching i get worse , Usually i will fly something i am comfortable with for the first few flights to calm my nerves to a point i am happy to fly the next plane .

Sometimes i will go to the park very early in the morning when no one is about to test fly a unknown model .

Being Nervous is a good thing right , Keeps you aware embarrassed

I went for the not flown for a while option but did find that i was more nervous with my great planes sportster than i am with my yak 54. Having flown the yak more and more now i'm finding the nervouness has dropped and the confidence is growing.

Yet to maiden my wot4 but i guess the nerves will be there when the time comes, it may be the confidence takes over once the maiden is in progress.

I've voted 'other peoples' models' but in truth it depends on the model and circumstances.

If it's a 'hot' or large model maiden

If it's the first flight in front of strangers (fly-ins or guesting at another club)

If it's someone elses model.

I've just come back from a week at the RC Hotel, and despite the fact some models were well worn and all were covered by insurance I still felt apprehensive every flight.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 07/09/2013 13:28:47

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/09/2013 12:21:00:

Basically if something is unfamilar. So yes I'm always on "hightened alert" (sounds so much better than just plain old fashioned nervous doesn't it!) if it's a maiden, if its someone else's model or I'm flying "away from home"

Strangely problems with a model in the air don't make me nervous at the time - just very focussed. I then have a sort of "reaction" afterwards once its down and all over one way or the other! - "phew!" adrelalin pumping like mad etc!

TBH - I am also nervous when I hear one or two particular clubmates call "taking-off" when I'm already flying! Their call is usually answered by me calling "landing"! wink 2

BEB

Well said, just how I feel about it smiley

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/09/2013 12:21:00:

Basically if something is unfamilar. So yes I'm always on "hightened alert" (sounds so much better than just plain old fashioned nervous doesn't it!) if it's a maiden, if its someone else's model or I'm flying "away from home"

Strangely problems with a model in the air don't make me nervous at the time - just very focussed. I then have a sort of "reaction" afterwards once its down and all over one way or the other! - "phew!" adrelalin pumping like mad etc!

TBH - I am also nervous when I hear one or two particular clubmates call "taking-off" when I'm already flying! Their call is usually answered by me calling "landing"! wink 2

BEB

That could so easily have been me writing that....all of it!! (And I do a fair bit of flying others models for maidens)

It's like being on stage, or motor racing before the start, both of which I have done, if you don't get "nervous" in the sense of anticipation and focus, you'll NOT be at your best.

There isnt a question that suits me.Im a person who under estmates he ability and probably over cautious .I dont do maidens but would love to.I dont get in any way nervous but I dont put myself in a position where I would,I always ask for help if anything untoward happens .In some instances i would have done a better job than the person who helped.

I am surprised that anybody gets nervous when there is a problem when flying.

I would think that most people react the same way as myself, in that I find the situation one of excitement, whilst I think what can, what should I do, and react to what is happening. If I save the situation, I am pleased. If not, it is a slow downer trudge to the point of devastation, or a what passes for a run, if urgency is needed to reach the model.

If the problem is on the ground, well you resolve it, or take the model home. No need for nervousness.

New models bother me, particularly my own designs, as there are no notes for settings, just what I think is reasonable. ARTFs just seem to fly their maidens without any issue what so ever.

• 4 weeks later...

Heh. I voted on the Problem button.

But the 'nervous' bit surely goes, at least in part, with the thrill of flying. When we fly our models, our level of attention ramps up and there is a physical response to that. This is part of why we fly. It's all about focusing on something 'other' than daily life. wink 2 So, wether we feel relaxed or excited when we fly, the reason for it is probably the same.

For me, the best times are when the flight completely removes my attention from my tinnitus.

Crikey! I hope no one's nervous to the point of being stressed when they fly. That would be time for a cup of decaf and a sit down with some cakes!

• 5 weeks later...

I ticked always - We were discussing this at the field the other week - many of the other club members couldnt see why - they think just because I fly with the Dawn Patrol with up to 15 other 1/3rd scale planes in front of big crowds that I must be impervious to nerves.

Dawn Patrol is some of the most relaxing flying I do - I know the strengths and weaknesses of everyone I fly with, we have really competent pilots and we fully communicate at all times. We have set manouvers and processes for taking off, landing and incidents. In the years we have been displaying we have never mid-aired.

I think because of his I get quite nervous when flying alongside people I dont know at club level. It worries me when you are flying in the same circuit as someone else and they suddenly do a bunt which brings their model too close to mine etc.

I personally think nerves is a good thing - no nerves leads to complacency, cockiness and risk taking. These lead to crashes.

Weirdly the other type of flying I really relax into is when I'm instructing - I love it!! If I could get a paid job teaching people to fly RC I would be in heaven..

Jez

Hi All

I ticked the "when I am flying anothers plane, if it is a beginners plane even though you have done all the checks it is an unknown. If you do an "oo nasty" for what ever reason, radio, a problem with the build, battery dies whatever.... you have just creamed some one's pride and joy. It don't feel nice!!! Has happened.

We also spend 4 months away each year in summer, I do take a plane to fly , and have a flight sim with me, but the first flight back on your own club runway is worrying.

Cheers

Roger