Mass Build general chat

It's not so much as a long distance drive (North Yorkshire) as much as when you get to passport control, they want to know why you want to leave Yorkshire and sometimes it's difficult not to agree with them. Then getting back in can produce problems due to the large number of illegal immegrants, particularly from the West. No problems with Southerners (it's too cold for them), or Scots heading home with their pockets full of southern dosh.

I don't know if you have ever seen the Hayle & Pace Sketch on Yorkshire Airlines, but it says it all. In volumes !

kevinb.

Maybe some basic research to get one’s facts right first might help , my suggestion was for the origanal 52 inch Barnstormer ,a different animal to the later ( and larger ) Barnstormer variations ,the baby Barnstormer is of even simpler construction and could be built as a e.p. depron model wink

Like CS I have no plans at this point to participate in building a model and as such abstained from making a vote, albeit an interested spectator as Dawn Flyer has been so popular, thank you all, it does seem that in a willingness to try and be so flexible to accommodate as many models as possible we risk becoming so complicated that it becomes confusing and people drop out. I wonder if a model had simply been named without a vote if the final numbers of participants would be any different? Keep up the debate, it makes for interesting reading anyway guys but I would suggest keep it simple.

Chris.

I understand what you say. I think I didn't put it right in my post. It would be nice to have informal gatherings of "mass builders" all over during the summer months. Maybe if we don't build them too big we can take them with us whenever we go to any shows.

kevinb.

Posted by Concorde Speedbird on 11/10/2013 22:48:40:

If the event was truly trying to encompass people around the country it would go to a different place each year. That would make it a much more attractive event and it would also mean that more people would be able to go, instead of the usual 'exclusive club' which seems to turn up each year.

CS

You have a pretty valid point there CS however I do believe that green acres is pretty much central to the vast majority of uk based members and I for one would probably find much over a 2 to 21/2 hr drive to far for a short weekend away (Taunton to greenacres approx 2hrs in sat morning traffic)

Phil

BEB and Chris,

Well done on getting us this far with the voting and of course, putting up with our ideas. I say go with the first 5, look at what is there.....fast model, aerobatic,biplane,trainer/vintage type. Something everyone to vote for (apart from an autogyro which would have a been an unfair advantagewink 2).

Maybe split the top 5 in to 2 sections for voting giving everyone 2 votes? One for a beginners type model, the other for a more advanced model. We would see more builds for sure and also some may decide to build both? Best for everyone?

Rich

Got out of bed the wrong side this morning did we CSB?

The reason for the different threads is to help keep things focussed and moving along. The old thread had already started off on a interesting, but off topic, direction.

The reason for the "complex voting system" is easy - we want to maximum number to take part. One member one vote straight away would indeed be simple and produce a winner - but it would be likely to be a winner with about 10% of the vote - that what the Barnstormer basically got. So great, 7 people would build it and 63 would lose interest. That would be a sucess wouldn't it!

The reason for Greenacres is two fold - one they can do it - would 30 members from your club be prepared to give up 4 days so other people can fly? I thought not. Second its in the geographic centre of the country - which unlike what some of you guys from down south seem to think is not just north of London! A final point - I think the comment "exclusive club" is completely out of order mate. You have never been so how do you know what its like? Ask anyone who has actually been there - I think you will find that its one of the most friendly and inclusive events in the aeromodelling calender!

BEB

I think Chris's idea is a interesting one and worthy of serious debate. It has the two overwhelming virtues that it keeps the maximum number of people on board - and hopefully those that voted elsewise will still find something from among the five to interest them - and its simple!

I have long been concerned by the split - in amicable terms - between the "traditionalists" and the "modernists". This way there is something for both camps.

But,...I think to make this work we need two things.

1. Strong popular support for the idea - because it is a change in what we were planning to do.

2. I think we would need a "build champion" for each model. To make sure that whatever an inexperienced builder selected s/he could be confident that they would have an example to follow and someone involved with the model to offer advice.

So, does it have popular support and are there any volunteers to be "build leaders" for each model? We could have more than one leader per model of course - the more the better - but I think there would have to be at least one to make this work.

BEB

Posted by kevin b on 11/10/2013 23:00:39:

Chris.

I understand what you say. I think I didn't put it right in my post. It would be nice to have informal gatherings of "mass builders" all over during the summer months. Maybe if we don't build them too big we can take them with us whenever we go to any shows.

kevinb.

Why not Kevin, great idea.

Any builder could start a thread - "I'm taking my xxx to such and such a fly in, who's coming". I'm sure others would join in. The fly in could be any of the fly ins anywhere around the country.

I'm no Einstein but the whole process so far seems very clear and simple, IMHO, and the choice of location seems a no brainer for all the reasons BEB stated,

I planned to travel from darkest Devon for this year but a combination of the weather and limited "non family time" were the reasons I didn't make it.

I quite like the idea of a featured model mass build, ie the one that wins, but it would be great to see a fly in with the top five all appearing together with the build blogs. The only downside to this would be the potential for a very busy flightline...

Regards

John

A suggestion for the voting in the next round.... Given that its a mass build, the best model choice would be the one that the most voters would build, rather than the model that the most voters, most want to build... (Think about it!)

So, one way of voting that would produce a sensible solution would be to ask voters which of the short list of five models they would build if it were chosen for the mass build. Voters can vote for any or all of the models from the top five, but by voting they are indicating their willingness to build the models they vote for....

So, there are two of the models I would build if they were chosen, and I would vote for them both.

That seems to me the best way to handle the short list of five models and chose which one would attract the highest number of builders.

Posted by jeff2wings on 11/10/2013 22:55:13:

Maybe some basic research to get one’s facts right first might help , my suggestion was for the origanal 52 inch Barnstormer ,a different animal to the later ( and larger ) Barnstormer variations ,the baby Barnstormer is of even simpler construction and could be built as a e.p. depron model wink

Jeff do you have a link to the plan or more info please?

Edited By Bearair on 12/10/2013 08:29:29

well put BEB ....it was a long journey for young weasel and I.........worth it due to the fact we could rub shoulder's/meet up with other forumites etc......our fingers were dropping off signing autograph's/not.....posing for photo's- although weasel did seem to hog the camera naturally....anyway......I was one of the proposers for the 'pushycat' and still say it is a worthy contender due to its quick build, low cost and easy to fly...tick box's......my vote for it.....

ken Anderson ne....1..........greencre's/pushycat dept....

Edited By ken anderson. on 12/10/2013 08:51:29

If you want to know what will get built, then you want people to post which of the top 5 they really would have a go at and only those, if you just want peoples favourites with no promise to build then it needs to be a repeat of the short-list vote with models listed 1-5, least favoured 1, most favoured 5.

As for moving the fly-in, first you have to ask whether enough sites with good access can be found. Then you need to ask how many would travel to non-centralised sites? To me Greenacres is the best possible site with experienced willing volunteers to marshal the event, reasonable access for the majority, on-site camping and a good size flying area. Not that I'm biased with it being half an hours drive from me, I'm sure there are other club sites that could lay on facilities for the fly-in, but how many would travel to somewhere like Norfolk, or any of the more northerly clubs?

I never voted because i just can never settle on any thing for very long these days.

not building much anymore, just trying to finish off everything before i think about anything new.

though i am half way through TN hurricane number 5 and have a 12ft telemaster to do.

if i had the time and the funds, i would build all five and bring the lot to greenacres next year. cheeky

well i am going back out to the shed, laters gents.

i expect i WILL build the winning model and turn up on the day. (fingers crossed)

Edited By Tony Bennett on 12/10/2013 10:25:03

Posted by Rentman on 12/10/2013 10:01:21:

Hi Bearair, Have a look here and here. Or was it this that Jeff was on about? A completely different beast.

Hope its what you want.

Ian

Thanks Ian, the one i am looking for is what Jeff describes as the "original" with 58inch span and simpler construction. A smaller version with sheet sides sounds to me like the best choice for a Mass Build.