A place for Pushy Cat builders to hang out

GrahamC

My pushycat is now ready except final balance check, all I need is this weekend to be reasonable weather wise and it is off to the field to fly it. And if I can work out how to post a photo from an iPad I will.

The 28/26-6 2200kv motor, 6x4 prop and 3s lipo seems to give an awful lot of power. Only time will tell.

thanks to everyone for their advice and help.

Advert

Posted by Martin Cavie on 25/03/2014 20:54:28:

My pushycat is now ready except final balance check, all I need is this weekend to be reasonable weather wise and it is off to the field to fly it. And if I can work out how to post a photo from an iPad I will.

The 28/26-6 2200kv motor, 6x4 prop and 3s lipo seems to give an awful lot of power. Only time will tell.

thanks to everyone for their advice and help.

I hope your right Martin, I have just replaced my original motor for the same set up you have

Martin, John and John, the 2826 on mine gives loads of "go" but in flight doesn't seem to be excessive, for me it's about right. To start off I'm using a 7x3 prop with the idea of focusing on acceleration and climb rather than absolute speed, but I will try a 6x4 later.

I'm still nervous about hand-launching and thinking about trying a foot-pedal bungee, does anyone have any experience of this method for a model of this type?

I've moved the front 'extra' former forward in mine to get the battery 1/2" further forward, and while I was doing that I thought I'd stick a 3/8" sheet handle underneath, as much as anything to give it something to land on. So chunk of balsa, film iron - put the three together and WOW that coving iron was red hot! I could shrink film from at least 6" with it.

RIP ancient MicoMold iron, you served me well. Time to go shopping I think.

I can understand that you can have some concern with launching any pusher arrangement, either under arm or conventional launching. Yet neither is really as risky as we or I tend to imagine. The secret is a a positive movement of both arm and hand, sweeping in a energetic arc.

There does seem to be a small discrepancy in how much power is needed to launch, in my case i need full power and it moves out most positively.

Colin, I had thought initially tat the number of cycles was trivial with a out of balance force. Yet if we take 20,000 revs min-1 as the starting point, after 10 minutes we already have 200,000 cycles. I did think of a scenario where there were two reversals per rev, which is obviously 40, 000 cycles (can not remember how, not that it really matters). On that basis with high forces or just resonance or longer running could conceivably bring in fatigue as an issue with your motor mount.

Bob. I fitted a belly-tank profiled piece of 3/8" underneath for the same reason, it looks fine but I haven't had the bottle to try and throw with it yet!

Erfolg, you might be right about fatigue, although it occurred mightily quickly, I'd only flown it once! What I haven't figured out is why after balancing two new props I had significant vibration on the first engine runs in the shed. Everything was tight, so perhaps there is an issue with the motor, I'll soon find out!

I have got my hands on a foot operated bungee launcher and when I've worked out how to put it together, I'll give it a go. It might do for the Can-Doo and Seafang as well. Has anyone any experience of these things?

No experience with the Launcher Colin, but I have had a few prop collets that weren't concentric, principally from GS.

I honestly think that launching underarm is probably a better bet than using a handle underneath from past experience with small glow powered pushers. I must have lost a fair bit of blood launching a Wingamagig back in the day. Never a problem lobbing off a Funjet though.

I flew mine again today, have changed motor to a 2826/6 2200kv, 40ampesc,2200 3s lipo

6x4 apc pusher prop. I think it was 28amp on wattmeter and well within the 342 watt motor states, I forget.

gentle underarm lob again, off it go's, no torque roll at all. its not fast but a nice comfortable speed. point it up it go's, just keeps rolling on way up if you want. I cant provoke it, flys at a virtual stand still with nose stuck up into breeze, its a good unyes am also getting the hang of electric's way of thinking, maybe try a 5x5 prop next just to see the difference. only minor negative is I keep applying rudder on the verticals to correct line. (left wing panels slightly heavier)

Cheap model, great flyer smiley

I also took mine out today, but this time I moved the battery forward by 1/4" and it transformed the model into a PussyCat.

It still climbs too much under power but the twitchiness has gone. Full rate rolls are blisteringly fast! The only problem now is keeping sight of it in flat turns,it just vanishes!

I have just got in from my maiden flight, which didn't go quite according to plan. The PC climbed away superbly and after a bit of trim adjustment it was flying superbly. Plenty of power for almost endless vertical climbs and plenty of speed. A few low passes and general flying and I lined up for a landing. On a low approach across some growing wheat and I caught the wingtip on a longer than the rest piece of wheat which ended in a cartwheel that knocked the nose off. The damage is easily repairable and most was done by the departing lipo. 10 minutes with some cyano and a bit of film and it will be back in the air.

The motor prop combo is about right, plenty of power for half throttle flying most of the time and full throttle gives good acceleration away from a hand launch.

despite the little hiccup I am very pleased.

Posted by ken anderson. on 31/03/2014 18:30:38:

there's going to be none left by the time the green acre's bash comes around...

ken Anderson ne..1 .....comes around dept

Their's a good chance mine won't even be finished by then Ken

baz

Edited By brfc7 on 31/03/2014 19:12:43