Permagrit - fine or coarse?

Advert

Spikey,

My wallet set is fine grade and I have a 140mm "wedge" block, coarse one side and fine on the other. They meet all my needs on balsa and ply. The coarse is great for rough shaping/sanding blue foam too, but I actually use 3M Sandblaster P220 Flexible Sanding Pad - Very Fine, for finishing the blue foam and balsa, works great and follows any contour you want. So I guess its horses for courses really, but I don't think that you will be disappointed if you opted for the fine set as general use, - as I say, it works for me.

Hope this helps.

Bob.

Actually they do have a FAQ page listing the equivalents here and it quotes the following ...

UF Ultra Fine:- approximately equivalent 420 Grit sandpaper.
F Fine:- approximately equivalent 320 Grit sandpaper.
M Medium:- approximately equivalent 220 Grit sandpaper.
C Coarse:- approximately equivalent 180 Grit sandpaper.
XC Extra Coarse:- approximately equivalent 120 Grit sandpaper.
XXC Extra, Extra Coarse:- approximately equivalent 80 Grit sandpaper

(And I thought they were actually a UK company from Sleaford?)

All you really need is the Wedge block which is coarse one side, fine the other side. Magic piece of kit - cuts ply down to exact size with little effort. So little effort is needed you can concentrate on holding the tool at right angles to material and get nice square edges. On balsa the dust seem larger than with glasspaper and does not seem to get down your throat so much.
I reckon just the wdge block and perhaps the 3mm and 6mm coarse spar cutters would be a good buy or Christmas list item.

Interestingly their website shows both British & USA grit eqivalents. USA seems one third the size of British!
Usually Permagrit attend the Alexandra Palace show in mid January. Ian often has his very detailed Top Gun model on display on the BMFA stand there. Maybe his attendance at Top Gun and photos in RCME etc cause the USA confusion.

Hi Ian,

The ones that I use the most from my wallet set are the flat faced ones (F101 and R201F). I find that the 6mm square file (F204f) makes a good spar slot cutter and handy for notches to bury servo leads or the like in. KC has already mentioned how handy the wedge block is, and I too have the 3mm spar slotter. I think you'll find uses for all eventually. I questioned the price at first. My wallet set was a Christmas present from my wife seven years ago.

Bob.

• 1 year later...

Late to this thread but very interested in these Permagrit tools, especially the Wedge Block - I've just been sanding down the edges of multiple balsa (+ ply) sections forming the upper & lower fuselage covering, and sandpaper wrapped around a bit of wood just doesn't offer enough precision...

So where is the best/cheapest place to buy Permagrit products?

Thanks, Tony

Posted by Keiran Arnold on 03/12/2014 10:36:42:

Tony,

at the risk of stating the obvious try the Perma-Grit website.smiley

Yes, I looked there, but couldn't discover their actual shipping costs without lots of complex logging-on etc. I can get the wedge coarse/fine on Ebay for £14.99 + £2.50 p&p but I was just wondering whether there was a particularly good source for this sort of thing - always looking for the best combo of pricing & service...

rgds Tony

Normally Permagrit are at the major shows and I have always seen them at the Alexandra Palace show in mid January. Maybe they will also go to Sandown for the Model Engineer Exhibition next week. Prices seem just the same as the catalogue and no special deals but you get the chance to examine all the tools before buying and talk to Ian Richardson ( & Tracy.) And usually the BMFA stand at Alexandra Palace has one of Ian's magnificent models on display.