Amazon planning on using Octocopters for deliveries

Codename-John

Surely, delivering to your home is a bit old hat, if you gave them your mobile phone number they should be able to trace it to that, track your location and deliver it personally to you, much better than leaving it outside wink

All you'd have to do is arrange to be out when your new 7 cyclinder radial was due for delivery and SWMBO would never find out angel

I suspect they'd have to have human interaction for the landing / drop-off stage to ensure no-one was standing near-by and to ensure that the GPS reference given was a feasible landing spot. So you make you order on your mobile whilst standing in the garden or other open spot at your given "landing spot" and when the drone arrives the pilot takes over, confirms you've received the parcel (probably a button press on the mobile to confirm receipt) and job done.

Without a "pilot" for landing it would be so fraught with problems it would be unworkable. Although to be fair the "pilot" would just supervise the landing stage to ensure it was safe to do so. So it wouldn't be an overly skilled (read expensive) job.

It's not unworkable....

.... and there was me thinking the Amazon Drones worked in their depos.....

The "Ryanair explanation" had also occured to me...

But if it true, what do they intend the drone to do when it arrives in the vicinity of your residence? Drop it on your front lawn/in the street/on top of next door's car? Or would they contact you first to make sure you were at home and somehow then able to guide the drone to a suitable point to handover the goods to you? Hmm....thinking

Posted by Bearair on 03/12/2013 08:46:36:

I predict the first use of these for parcel delivery will be illegal and involve small amounts of powders!.devil

Roger

Apparently I heard that's been done. Smuggling powders over a prison fence.

This is just a gimmick by Amazon wink

Now here is a street urchin's view (LOL)

I think I'll order a £10 pizza. Lovely, here comes the drone with my dinner, hang on a minute, that's several hundred pounds worth of RC equipment, stuff the pizza (get it? Stuffed crust??? No? ok) I'll run off with the drone as well!

I don't think it will work, there is too much to lose for the companies.