alternative to high wing trainer

dave barrett

It would help us to help you if we had an idea of your flying experience and standard. You say you "have flown" high wing trainers - are you saying you can fly one well?

How well is "well"? I'd say; take off, climb out straight. fly a level circuit in either direction - either "racetrack" or rectangular. Perform some basic aerobatics at least reasonably if not perfectly - eg a roll and a loop. And finally, land pretty reliably, on the strip, without ripping the undercarriage out - at least most of the time?

Because if you can't do that yet - then you need a high wing trainer!

If you can do that with a high wing trainer then it makes sense to look at some alternatives and we could suggest some!

BEB

Posted by cymaz on 11/12/2013 06:29:07:

Why not a wot4? OK its a high wing but its a real hooligan when you turn everything up to 11.

laugh the wot 4 is always suggested on this forum. But it sounds like he does not like high wing models.

the hanger 9 pulse series are excellent models. Kyosho Calmato already suggested

lots more suggestions here. Also do a forum search for follow on model

The point is a high wing trainer has a certain stability due to the pendulum effect of most of the weight well below the wing. A low winger does not have this (slight )stabilising force. Secondly the high wing is a little further from the ground if ( when ) a poor landing puts one wing too near the ground - it may suffer less damage.

So in case any beginners are confused a low wing trainer is for training to fly a low wing model once you are proficient with high wing.

Cymaz, the link you give for the Spacealker is £100.99, whereas the Soar 40 is $67 from HK UK (around £44). So I could have 2 Soar 40s for the price of 1 Spacewalker!!

I'm not suggesting that the Spacewalker isn't a good plane, but I'm more than happy with my Soar 40

GDB

I have found that a good general F3 pattern ship is easier to fly than a high wing trainer. With a course pitch prop you can fly a lot slower with loads of stability and very smooth flying. Open the throttle and you can do all the hooligan maneuvers you want.

Kyosho , World Models, Hangar 9 all make good F3 style models.

Darryl

Posted by Caveman on 11/12/2013 12:46:30:

Cymaz, the link you give for the Spacealker is £100.99, whereas the Soar 40 is $67 from HK UK (around £44). So I could have 2 Soar 40s for the price of 1 Spacewalker!!

I'm not suggesting that the Spacewalker isn't a good plane, but I'm more than happy with my Soar 40

GDB

recently purchased a soar 40 from hk........a great piece of kit for £44,,,,,,,,,,cant fault it in any way.......fly great ,,looks good,,,,and cheap as chips,,,,,a great plane to use as a trainer on a buddy lead,,,,,,,also purchases a nemesis .61 from hk @ £65 it was a great bargain,,,,build quality was exceptional,,,something to put together over christmas,,,,