Avro Shackleton build

Tony Bennett

The shape of the fin & full side wingspan of 120' . Yep, ticks the boxes for a shack. Are you going to have one props powered and the other free wheeled contra-rotating ? Or both props powered ? There are twin motor setups available per nacelle and there are 4 nacelles !

Edited By Keith Simmons on 25/01/2014 12:35:17

Sorry Tony, Humble pie etc. I was reading your Profile, and assumed by your description of your modelling career that you were relatively inexperienced. It must be way out of date. But maybe you agree with me that there are too many would be modellers out there, who are very limited in both building and flying exoperience, who want to start off with a project that is far too ambitious....I know, I build a control line Dornier twin when I was 16 ( a long time ago) I can still see it on flight one when the inner ED racer cut

ernie

no problem, the profile needs updating.

i must have built 30 models in the last 4 years now.

while my flying is still intermediate i am working on improving to the state where a large multi engined project will be ok for me to fly.

building is my main reason for existing, i love building far more than flying.

Can you build a 12 ft Shackleton and keep it under 7 kilos? Over 7 kilos means extra BMFA rules apply including B certificate recommended etc.
If the plane exceeds 20 kilos it needs an exemption certificate which means using the inspection service ( during construction I think) A whole different ballgame.

Today, two Shacks ran almost at the same time. One in Coventry, WR963 and the other in Cape Town, P1722. Then a modelling client dropped off a 1958 copy of Aeromodeller with the Shack three view in it.

It's a sign Tony! Your Shack is going to be awesome! I don't think there has been a model of one since that control line model? Are you going to do it in SAAF or RAF colours?

well i have been playing with the sketch i did yesterday and have come up with this.

trying to work out construction methods now.

i am thinking of building the fuselage in two halves flat on the building board using ply keels and then joining the two halves later.

then 6x6 stringers and finally sheeting with 2mm soft balsa.

the whole nose section will be removable for transport and storage, so i have to design the fixings into it as well.

getting to the point where i need to almost cut some wood and have a trial build.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.