Photo editing programmes

Myron Beaumont

Advert

hello chrissy-----have a 'Google' around...... and download a few demo's of different software......and also have a look in windows......it may have something that ticks the box's for you....as some of the programs are complicated to use...by the way how is young Myron doing.....

ken Anderson.....ne..1...... photo editing dept.

Myron,

It all depends what you are wanting to do and as Ken says it is worth looking at what you already have.

People often overlook the Microsoft programs e.g. Paint is extremely useful for resizing photos and changing the file format.

And Windows Live Photo Gallery allows you the basic photo editing functions, e.g. straighten, crop, adjust colour, exposure, remove red eye etc all for free.

Myron,

Have a look at the OpenStreetMap project. http://www.openstreetmap.org

This is a project that has been running for some time with the intention of providing copyright free maps generated by volunteers. If you look around you will see that they use various pieces of open source mapping programmes.

For photoediting, have a look at Gimp. It is very like Photoshop, I believe. Again, it costs nowt.

Hope this helps.

Plummet

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 04/02/2014 12:03:34

Posted by Colin Bernard on 04/02/2014 09:52:41:

... ... ... People often overlook the Microsoft programs e.g. Paint is extremely useful for resizing photos and changing the file format... ... ... 

Yes I do this ...  I use Powerpoint and Publisher to work on images but when you've finished you can saves the files out of the program, also you can change formats e.g. JPG to PDF which  can be useful ..

Edited By avtur on 04/02/2014 10:46:25

Posted by Plummet on 04/02/2014 10:02:27:

Myron, Chrissy

Have a look at the OpenStreetMap project. http://www.openstreetmap.org

This is a project that has been running for some time with the intention of providing copyright free maps generated by volunteers. If you look around you will see that they use various pieces of open source mapping programmes.

For photoediting, have a look at Gimp. It is very like Photoshop, I believe. Again, it costs nowt.

Hope this helps.

Plummet

Thanks very much for all the advice. will try some of the free demos or downloads. Probably Gimp as it is free.
Windows Live Photo Gallery will not do what I want. The project is to look at the 19th century history of one of the streets in Scarborough. We (our local history group) were allowed to photograph and create an image of a map from 1892, and now we have a sreet directory fom the sme year. My job is to put the numbers ont the houses/plots and we need it t look professional becaue eventually the library want to display it.One of the goup has photoshop and will produce the final map but I need to add my "bits"
So I will give Gimp a try.
Myron is still asleep! I'll tell him to reply.
Hey ho - back to mucking out the goats!
Chrssy

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 04/02/2014 12:05:54

Chrissy,

Not sure how much you would need to tinker with you photos, but Picasa from Google might be what you need. It's free to download, you can store your photos in the cloud, which means that you can view your photos on other devices such as tablets, smartphones without having to transfer them from your PC. You would need to sign up to Google plus. It has a number of picture editing tools, but as I say it depends how creative you need to be.

LINK

You can buy older versions of Photoshop Elements from places like Amazon very cheaply. For example, version 7 can be bought for around £25, which is a bargain. I believe the current version is v12, but not a lot different from older versions. Lots of tutorials on YouTube. Gimp, although free is IMHO, more difficult to use than Photoshop Elements.

As other posts remark, depends on what you intend to do......

steve

Can I quietly suggest that for creating a map, a map editing programme may be better.

Why?

I find that creating an image of a thing can be a bit of a one way process. If you realise that you made a mistake near the start, and you notice it near the end it can be hard to avoid having to go back to the start .

I know that this can be eased by using multiple layers to build up your image, but it can still be nasty if you find that something is slightly out of place.

Map making software works by creating a database of where things are and what they are. Then it automagically draws the map from the information. So if something is wrong, you change it in the database, and use the magic to redraw.

If you are working from photos, you can often display the photo as a background and then plot features from it, and thus fill the database.

Plummet