Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Unforyunately SLEC haven't sorted my wood out yet, but I have a promise that somebody will call me this week.

I don't think it matters where people start, most of you will know what you are doing at the start, and there will hopefully be somebody to copy if you are unsure. I am probably going to start with the tailplane/elevators and fin/rudder, just to get me back into the swing of building.

You will all no doubt have spotted that the fuselage is built in two halves, and only joined after the tailplane and fin are fitted to the upper section. This will give us a nice true fus and tail end.

Cheers

Danny

Advert

For those of you that have the oleos from Hobby King and haven't taken them apart yet, this is how they come apart.

dsc_8441.jpg

The good news is the spring rate can be adjusted by either replacing it with a softer one or shortening, and I will play with fitting rubber/foam blocks to damp as well.

The other good news is the solid section at the upper end of the leg is 35mm long so we can drill into this quite happily.

Now I know you are going to laugh but drilling the centrel hole on the lathe should be a doddle, but I have never tapped a thread in alloy, I know it should be simples but there you go, never had a need, so I am going to have to learn new tricks too!

Cheers

Danny

Hi

Has anyone else had delays with delivery of their oleo's from HK ?

I ordered at the end of July, the last tracking info is dated 8th Aug when the items were send from KL to LON. No update since and no delivery.

Tried contacting Hobby King and Pos Malaysia for an update but just get a standard "you have to wait the 15-39 buisness days delivery period"

Just wondered if anyone else has a delayed delivery.

cheers

Martin

Edited By Martin Fane on 09/09/2014 18:26:28

That looks promising then Danny, I quite like the idea of using two fixing screws so 35mm to play with is good. I would like to soften the spring a bit also as it does seem a bit stiff. Just remember to use plenty of lubricant and you should be ok. Its been a while since I tapped ali, so hopefully someone with current experience will step in with some appropriate advice.

Sorry Martin, mine arrived in about 12 days.

Hmm. If anyone comes up with a good way of using the oleos without drilling and tapping, let me know.

With no metalwork experience or facilities I suspect I'll be going the simpler route methinks.

There's a lot of the components in the woodpack and beyond that a bit of 1/4" sq for the tailplane I think otherwise it's lots of sheeting. I'm not exactly speaking from great experience though....

Nigel +1 from me!

Danny - thanks for the post mortem examination! I like the idea of dampers too.

Martin - I hope mine are waiting for me when I get home. I ordered them about the same time as you and I had hoped they would come before we left but guess what......! Not complaining about HK had over 70 orders from them and all arrived safely so far.

Terry

Re oleo delivery from Hobby King. I was puzzled as mine were delivered from a Milton Keynes address although ordered from the global warehouse. I thought Hobby Kings warehouse was further north in the UK. Mine arrived in about 2 weeks and only purchased about a month ago. Tracking is an issue from the far east I'm afraid

I've contacted the owner of G-BFAW/WP848 and had a very kind reply saying that I'm more than welcome to visit, although he doesn't expect to get much air time in it until spring because of other things going on. Once the LAA paperwork arrives it can be flown. He considered restoring it to the original silver scheme but decided to go for the later red, white and grey because it is more visible. I will do mine in the earlier scheme for old time's sake.

As I'm hoping to have a go in it I will probably not visit until next year, there's no rush. Something to look forward to in the meantime. Makes me think about renewing my PPL, but that would make time for the models amd bikes even more difficult. I've done very few miles on the VFR1200 this year and beginning to get withdrawal symptoms. Must reduce the working hours.

Do ya think this thread will get to 1000 posts before we start building?

In preparation I've been messing about using aluminium tape cut into panels to replicate a bare aluminium finish. It's OK to work with, and if small rivets are applied 1st (glue drops) it can be burnished down over them and looks pretty good. Fasteners can be easily indented into it. Using a scotchbrite pad rubbed over the panels gives a very nice weathered effect.

Realistic looking overlapping panels are more of a problem - I think it may be necessary to do the 'usual' (not for me!) masking and priming to build these up before applying the tape with it's edge on the panel line. A lot of work, but I quite fancy having a go. I'd probably use silver Solartex for the covered surfaces.

Or there again I might just go for the black / white stripes BBMF scheme and save myself a lot of work!

Has anybody gone this route before?

Steve

I know that it's not the 1st October yet but I'm trying to 'be prepared'.

Apart from all the unknown unknowns I face with the Chippie, there are a number of known unknowns. These are areas of the build that I know I'll need to handle but I don't know how - or what materials I'll need.

For example, I've used bog-standard Futaba servos on my previous 2 builds (came with the transmitters I bought) and I'll need to buy a good few more for this build. I need one for the tailfin, one for the elevator and, I think, two for the ailerons and two for the flaps. Assuming this is correct, will standard servos be right or should mini/macro ones be used for any bit?

What linkages will people be using for each of the above controls? I have the hinge set that Danny kindly arranged and could obviously work out some way of linking from servo to control surface but being a relative newbie (and a complete newbie to scale projects) I'd prefer to get the advice of my fellow chippers.

Thanks in advance,

Nigel

There have been several requests on this thread for a list of the extra items required to complete the Dennis Bryant DHC-1 Chipmunk.
I sat down with the plans today and made a list of these extra items. The list is what I think is required and I would be happy to be corrected if I have made any mistakes. I will be building an I.C. version and the list reflects this.

Beech:-

3/8" x 1/2" x 12" - 1 off - U/C Mount
1/2" x 1/2" x 12" - 1 off - Engine Mount
1/2" x 3/4" x 12" - 2 off - Engine Mount

Spruce:-

1/8" sq. x 36" - Cockpit.

Balsa:-

1/16" x 4" x 36" - 6 off - Fin & Tail Skins, Rudder & Elevator Cores, Wing Skin and Cap Strips.
1/8" x 4" x 36" - 7 off - Fuselage Crutch, Doubler & Planking, Aileron l.e.
1/4" x 4" x 36" - 1 off - Tail l.e., Fin l.e., Rudder, Elevator, Wing l.e., U/C Fairing.
3/8" x 4" x 36" - 1 off - Fuselage Spine,
1/8" sq. x 36" - 4 off - Wing Rear Spar.
1/4" sq. x 36" - 4 off - Wing Main Spar.
Block Balsa - Wing Tips, Wing Fairing

Piano Wire:-

16 s.w.g. - 2 off - Rudder Horn, Tail Wheel, Aileron & Flap pushrods (If using centre mounted servos as per plan). If you plan to use wing mounted servos - 4 off 2 x 56 rods and metal kwik links (Thanks barry)
8 s.w.g. - 1 off - U/C Legs.

Plywood:-

1/32" x 12" x 12" - 1 off - Instrument Panels.
1/16" x 12" x 12" - 1 off - Wing Servos.

Miscellaneous:-

18s.w.g. Brass sheet - Cowling Clips, Rudder Horn, Elevator Horn.
1/8" x 12" Alloy Tube - Cockpit
Tin Plate - U/C Mounting Clips, U/C Fairing, Tail Wheel.
10B.A. / 2mm Nut, Bolt & Washer - x 1/4"/6mm - 10 off - 2 Part Hinges, x 5/16"/8mm - 2 off - 3 Part Hinges.
6B.A./ 3mm. Nut & Bolt - x 5/8"/16mm - 10 off - Engine Mount
3/8"/10mm P.K. Self Tapping Sheet Metal Screws - Cowl mounting.
SLEC Round Tank - 8oz/240cc.
No.6/3mm x 1/2"/13mm Brass Wood Screws - Engine mount.