Wings n Wheels Model Spectacular (28th/29th June)

Advert

Yes, there a few incidents on the Sunday last year... The Pitts Python was one, didn't Ali "bend" his Opus? And I think there was another big model that went in badly. The Pitts Python didn't appear to be too badly damaged IIRC, but of course there could have been significant internal structural damage.

Steve Carr's big (seriously big) model also went in. Looking back at my photos from the day it didn't look good... The Pitts Python might have got away with just a new undercarriage.

There was also a near-miss from one of the heli pilots - he was hovering low and inverted, then got a little lower than he intended! He managed to pull out of it though, and proudly showed-off the scraped blades afterwards!

img_4186.jpg

• 1 month later...

Advance tickets are a bit cheaper but if it rains or the traffic is too bad or you lose or forget the ticket then its money wasted!

Traffic is worse on Saturdays due to the market at the other end of the site and you have to drive all the way up to the market and all the way back because of the stupid no turning right or even turning back at the first roundabout. Sundays may be easier unless you arrive very early.

Kieth you are so right.

BUT...

I have the Step-Grandchildren round all weekend and I need an escape. I'll leave home around 08:15 - gets me there before 9AM... Nice Jumbo sausage and coffee for brekkie... Chill out all day... get home and they are in bed...

Edited By Stevo on 05/06/2014 19:33:59

• 4 weeks later...

I went today... The weather was kind overall with showers. No major mishaps. I did notice most of the traders were only really interested in box-shifting. Gone are the days Inwoods are offering deals on 4x servos and so forth. In fact it was almost out of the back of the van!. Wanted 4 x Savox but didnt spot any. TJD stand was smaller with loads of ARTFs... not so much of the accessories thay have had there before.

Bring and buy was heaving - I got a Seagull Pilatus including servos and SC52FS, nearly new - £70 and I was happy with that!

On the lighter side, I spotted a senior citizen at the boat pool, programming his Tx, and fiddling over and over again with his 'boat', while his wife looked to the heavens for inspiration.

When I looked closer, it was not a 'boat'... it was an RC...... duck laugh

I went today as well, car parks were fine. Stirling job done by the HDMFC ont eh bring and buy as usual, nothing that quite tempted me this year but a good range of stuff on offer.

Flying was good, Steve Carr had his 'standby' model, another Extra I think. Good displays from the TJD lads and Ali showing off his Fox glider with the turbine, with some spirited low altitude flying. Nice to see the massive Pitts Python repaired and flying well again too.

r.

To me there appeared to be a lack of display and flight line models, for instance no Dawn Patrol presence at all. Perhaps the early weather forecast of Armageddon put off a few people. In the end it turned out to be not bad at all, and tomorrow looks to be better. teeth 2

Excellent bring and buy and a fair number of trade stands.

Going back tomorrow!

A good contingent from my club should be there tomorrow. Glad to hear they've let Ali take the weekend off from his American adventure...

We can but hope the Dawn Patrol turn up - the forecast looks fairly good - especially the morning but there's a chance of some showers later. At least the there should be less crosswind than recent years!

I was there today. Weather was a bit disappointing but the bring and buy was good. Picked up a classic SIG Ryan STA (with a Super Tiger G90 in it) for next to nothing. Had a quick look and it needs a few bits sorting but nothing major. The covering is crazed but it should fly well enough and looks great from a few feet away. Well happy

SIG Ryan STA