Blue MacGregor control unit 1970 ish ? Trip down memory lane

Hi all,

Have just got back into RC flying from a not too good start around 1970/72 ish era with my dad on Epsom Downs.

I just about remember a blue metal front RC by MacGregor with a stick for left and right and a button for I think the engine speed.

We never got the plane up and my poor dad admitted defeat after many tries.

Would love to trace a RC so any ideas guys if it real  or my memory has remembered something that does not exist.

Also I had a trainer that was high wing with a one piece moulded plastic fuselage. Wings were held on by elastic bands. Long shot as all I can remember.

Thanks in advance

Edited By Nigel Finch on 11/05/2014 16:37:07

Edited By Nigel Finch on 11/05/2014 16:38:55

From memory that would be a McGregor 1+1 set (i.e. one proportional and one bangbang channel). I went from single channel bangbang to two channel proportional. I wish I had my old gear now.

They don't make nostalgia like they used too!

Shaunie.

Hi Nigel, the MacGregor Digimac 1+1 was what immediately sprung to my mind from your description, and Shaunie's too by the looks of things! I initially got into aeromodelling in the early 70s, first with control-line, then r/c in about 1974-ish. I lived in the North-East at the time - these days I fly on Epsom Downs...

Posted by Percy Verance on 11/05/2014 17:14:36:

And no, Wee MacGregor wasn't always in control............

LOL!

For the benefit of others, MacGregor's advertising slogan at the time was "Wee MacGregor's in control" - and I think they even included a sticker with those words with their radios.

I had a Saturday/summer holiday job in 1975/6 in the Newcastle Model Shop. The shop staff's version of the slogan was invariably, "Wee MacGregor's lost control"!

When I was still flying control-line, a couple of young lads (possibly brothers) would turn up once in a while with an r/c model with Digimac 1+1 radio. After much checking and messing around, the engine would eventually be started and the model hand launched. It would fly off, briefly under control, but then continue circling, drifting downwind with the two lads running after it, one of them waving the transmitter above his head to try to regain control. We wouldn't then see them until many months later when the process would be repeated...

Well all I am going to look on e bay and get the next one on there. If I can find out what plane I had will also look for one and upgrade to 2.4ghz.

the ultimate memory lane trip and may even go over to Epsom Downs to have a fly.

Thanks all and any more info about the plane would be good.

Edited By Nigel Finch on 11/05/2014 17:37:06

Posted by Nigel Finch on 11/05/2014 17:36:36:

the ultimate memory lane trip and may even go over to Epsom Downs to have a fly.

Good luck with that Nigel. Just bear in mind there's now a club at Epsom Downs that all flyers must belong to before flying on the Downs. It's only a tenner though (plus BMFA) for the year.

Lots of Digimac 1+1's have been converted and fly regularly again. I have two, one standard and working perfectly and one converted to 2.4g and frequently seen down at Ponty park in a Vic Smeed 'Poppet':

There were quite a few 1+1 sets - Climax, Waltron, OS... even Micron did a single-channel propo set, the 'Elf':

Its possible however that yours wasnt a Digimac 1+1, it could have been a Codamac which looked very similar. The Codamac wasnt proportional - just an automatic coder added to a conventional S/C set, which did all the 'one for right', 'two for left' malarky for you:

Almost any retro-R/C set can be converted and used again today, single-channel with a button, single with a coder, reeds, 1+1, 2+1, pulse-propo... contemporary proportional (Skyleader, OS, Fleet, KO etc)

Lots more nostalgia and conversions on www.singlechannel.co.uk

and Youtube channel PHILG2864

Demo rigs on Youtube: Aeromodeller

Cheers

Phil

PS - Shaunie - "They don't make nostalgia like they used too!"   I'm doing my best to make nostalgia exactly like they used to!

PPS - Percie - convention was the other way, and enforced by the Elmic escapement mechanism - one for right, two for left.

PPPS - apologies to all those who've seen this before and who might find the reposts tedious...

Edited By Phil Green on 11/05/2014 23:16:00

79 my dad and I were flying on Epsom Downs with a 27MHz Acoms 2ch. My flash brother had a blue MacGregor 2ch set which was very pretty.

Then dad trumped him with a 35MHz Skyleader Courier that I built from a kit bought straight from Airport House.

Brothers airframe was a Highboy and dad and I shared a fibreglass Superfly (ELY?)

I too would like to relive the nostalgia of that Courier, But I would give the Superfly a miss. We are spoilt for so many excellent aircraft these days.

Posted by Nigel Finch on 11/05/2014 16:36:38:

Also I had a trainer that was high wing with a one piece moulded plastic fuselage. Wings were held on by elastic bands. Long shot as all I can remember.

Keil Kraft did an RC trainer that had a plastic moulded fuselage - can't remember the name but I think it was actualy made by EMP.

My first set of proportional radio was the Horizon HS4D. The original red vinyl clad aluminium case with black plastic side cheeks, switchable 2 channel TX & Rx. Horizon originally made the servos and stick assemblies for the early Macgregor sets then moved into making their own branded sets utilising the black Macgregor MR10 servos. I know a lot of people had problems with theirs but I used mine extensively and never experienced any problems that could honestly be laid at the door of the radio. Not quite so reliable when they and I moved on to their later (and last) sets which had screen printed Ali Tx cases with the small yellow servos and Rx's.

Isn't nostalgia wonderful but it's a thing of the past!wink

Posted by jrman on 12/05/2014 14:57:04:
Isn't nostalgia wonderful but it's a thing of the past!wink

No, absolutely not!   its happening right now, come and see it at the Pontefract PANDAS retro R/C event, Sunday 8th June - you will see enthusiasts flying period models from the 1960s/70s using single-channel, reeds, pulse... a few escapements.. and a few of the 'modern' 1970s propo sets such as Macgregor, Horizon, Skyleader etc mentioned in this thread.

Also check out the retro aerobatics scene and the UKCAA where 1970s transmitter conversions are a frequent sight, enhancing the authenticity of this fascinating niche interest. This is nothing new, people have been converting these old sets for many years, getting them off the collectors shelves and back on to the flying field where they belong!

Nostalgia is very much alive and well!

Cheers

Phil

www.singlechannel.co.uk

Edited By Phil Green on 12/05/2014 22:36:59

Of course nostalgia is alive and well.....It's just not the same as it was smile d. I'll get my coat!

Wee McGregor may have been in control but mine had the DT's, the servos used to jitter like you wouldn't believe. I was only fifteen at the time and made a better job of retuning the encoder than they did at the factory, after that it was better but still not brilliant.

My first set was a McGregor single channel superegen with a greenish hammerite finished case (although a previous owner may have repainted it). Then I had a blue cased Superhet set with Ripmax bangbang servos. Never successfully flew with it but had hours of fun on the local ponds with electric boats.

When I finally got to fly successfully it was with an RCM&E FM kit built set.

Shaunie.