Danny's "poor mans Spitty"

Danny Fenton

Advert

Looks great to me Danny. Is yours going to be a civvy version? Currently working on the starboard wing panel and sorting my way through it. Not getting enough opportunity because of other pressures, but hope to do some more tonight. Might be able to post up a photo, unless I'm too ashamed of it!

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 18/11/2014 16:36:21

Hi Cymaz i find shears crnkle either the bit you are cutting or the waste. Either way not good. They are okay for straight bits, but even then strips cut less than a 1/4" wide curl.
Hi Colin yes i anneal it if i want to form the metal. If i want to make a gentle curve then i don't anneal.
Glad you find it useful Andy
Cheers
Danny

Hello to all,

Hello Mr Fenton,

Since a few weeks I'm a 'silent visitor' of this remarkable thread.

I'm a total newbie (dummy?) to RC and jut started the restoration of a crashed balsa Graupner Bussard glider from the nineties as my first project. So, all the technical information I can gather here and there is mostly welcome.

I'm amazed by everything I discover and certainly the research of details and solutions that Mr Fenton is applying to this build.

When I saw the picture of the dash, I was a bit enoyed by the shadow at the top of the picture as it would probably interfere with the 'real' ambient shadow when installed in the cockpit. Looking a bit closer, I thought the little blue sticker (registration #) would very likely not match w/ the 'registration' carried by the model.

Then I thought about a more 'generic' approach that could be of use for other fellow-builders. So I cleaned it up a bit, removing the reg#, the bottom white sticker, cleaning up the top shadow, adding a bit to both left & right sides for a more complete dash covering, etc...

Note: the bottom of the picture = the underside of the dash & the artificial horizon is centered horizontally.

Sorry to chime in 'uninvited', but thought this could be of help for some of you.

Happy glueing

Chris

Brussels, Belgium

ps: ... hope I can get that pic online...

chippie_instr_panel_02.jpg

Hi Dennis, it's quite difficult to find these days. It is effectively lithographic printing plate material, pure aluminium. It sometimes comes up on Ebay. If you can find an old school printer locally that uses presses and plates, (this is what the old plates are made from) they scrap it afterwards, either in the bin or more likely these days they recycle it. If you can sweet talk them into letting you have a few sheets then all well and good

There are usually a few sheets for sale on EBAY for modelling, these tend to be small A4 sheets at around a tenner for ten sheets. Way more than I paid! But if that's all there is then you are over a barrel.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Danny

I managed to add all the rivet detail to the cockpit, boy was i rusty! Good to get some practice in before doing the vary visible exterior. I mixed some aluminium powder in with the rc modellers glue as an experiment. Going to use tamiya acrylic matt black as i havent used it before. I found my usual humbrol matt black a bit odd when sprayed. I wont post pics of the rivets for the sake of poor Colin's heart
Cheers
Danny

My wife complains that my dribbling is getting worse. Sorry Danny, I had to tell her the truth, it's your fault. I used to be a gibbering wreck, now it's also worse. I used to have nightmares about falling down bottomless holes, now I'm a rivet and someone keeps banging me on the head. That of course, is probably my wife, trying to stop me dribbling.

(You've got your rivets, I've got my wash-out).