Something a bit Batty

Well final installation completed so now ready for Nora's maiden, quick calc of the cg and found I need 35oz of lead - yikes! and in the tail - double yikes!!, still she won't fly less its right and the weight is still ok but clearly I could have reduced the nose length quite a bit plus most of the paint is at the front still she'll be right.

s1030074.jpg

Added a bit more weight at the tail by adding these

s1030073.jpg

Will hopefully get the test flight out the way soon then take a look at how many LED's I can blow whilst making up my lights. Linds

Edited By Lindsay Todd on 11/06/2014 21:26:51

Phew...

I was just about to suggest radical surgery to sweep the wings forward to move the C/G back.

As it is, how about giving Nora some legs and feet.  These could trail the tail, and so could add weight a bit further back, and allow you to sneak a bit back up onto the church roof.

Plummet

Edited By Plummet on 12/06/2014 07:54:38

So spent most of this afternoon, and for that matter Friday evening making up some 3mm LED lights for Batty oops make that Nora. I'm no electrician so kept things simple by making up each LED with a 650 ohm resistor on the positive wire at various lengths and bringing hem all together to connect to a 9v battery. So I started with 2x orange (look more red than orange) for the eyes, these are glued into holes drilled in the back of the ping pong balls, the wires passing into the fuz and into the forward battery bay.

s1030075.jpg

The next was a mid upper body red strobe.

s1030076.jpg

Then the wing tips which are static red and green. These would have been so much easier had I remembered to run the wires through or at least a tube to run the wires down during construction however a length of brass tube in the drill was used to drill through to the servo bays and then the wires could follow the servo holes through to the centre section and then on into the nose.

s1030078.jpg

Finally a white light on the firewall that should help illuminate the flex yellow prop I am using.

s1030077.jpgSo having done all that a quick check in the workshop to check it out

s1030080.jpg

s1030081.jpg

s1030082.jpg

So other than a flight check she is ready for the weekend. - Back to the Blenheim now I guess. Linds

Posted by john stones 1 on 15/06/2014 20:28:18:

Eyes look brilliantteeth 2 very good.

Blind as a bat ....not.

John

Oh dear... Lecture mode triggered...

Bats are NOT repeat NOT blind. They have quite reasonable eyesight. It is just that for various reasons they are most active in the dark, when there is not a lot of light, and under those circumstances they, and us, cannot see very well. They have one up on us because they can use echolocation to get over this problem.

One reason that bats do not fly around in the light is that they do not fly very strongly (But they fly better than we do!) so that they are at risk from predatory birds. A few years ago we visited the Azores, which are in the middle of the Atlantic. There are few predatory birds, if any, there, and so the bats there are happy to fly around in the daytime - we saw some of them.

Lecture over.

Last year I was given the job of creating a Voodoo doll for an Am-Dram play. This had to do spooky things at certain times during the play when it was picked up.

I made its head from a ping-pong ball, and put a couple of multicolour LEDS inside it so that on demand it flashed changing multiple colours.

I have some of these LEDs left over if you are interested. PM me

Plummet

Posted by john stones 1 on 15/06/2014 21:56:50:

That's what I said Plummet ....notthinking

John

John,

The trigger was "Blind as a bat." Lecture mode was switched on by that. Once triggered it just sort of happens!

I did manage to suppress an earlier triggering of lecture mode with great difficulty. I forget what the trigger was but it was to do with the covering. I managed to stop myself telling the world that, if you ever get the chance to feel a bat's wing the material it feels most like is ... how do I put this ... an elastic membrane that might be used to stop ....

No, don't go there.

The sort of thin elastic material that comes in packets from ...

Um.

Gossamer? No that gives the impression of threads of silk covered in dew.

Please can someone suggest a polite way of saying condom rubber.

Anyway - it lead me to the thoughts of an extremely quick way of covering the wings of a suitably shaped wing by using only 2 from a packet of three. Of course this would only be suitable for models of a limited wingspan, and certainly not for IC powered models, as the oils would rot the covering.

As I say, I managed to restrain myself from typing stuff like the above. You should be pleased and proud of me.smiley

Plummet