Arrestor line for short strip

Advert

Posted by Erfolg on 05/06/2014 16:12:50:

I guess you are suggesting a 70yd by 18 yd strip?

In that case you are the mercy of the wind direction. or some very cross wind landings.

I'd rather put up with croswinds and actually having enough yardage to land on, than not being able to land at all

Back in the 80's 'Carrier Deck' was quite a popular club fun fly event, devised by Mick Reeves. You had to fly the model as fast as possible between two markers and then as slow as possible, points were awarded for the speed differential. Then you attempted to make an arrested landing for bonus points. The arrested landing part was not easy.

However if you want to give it a go the line itself was bright orange thick fishing line, it was supported off the ground by bits of expanded polystyrine about 3 inches square with a slot cut half way in which the line sat. At both ends of the line were small cloth bags filled with sand. Fully portable & easily set up.

Posted by Erfolg on 05/06/2014 16:12:50:

I guess you are suggesting a 70yd by 18 yd strip?

In that case you are the mercy of the wind direction. or some very cross wind landings.

how about two perpendicular 70x9 yard strips?

Posted by john melia 1 on 05/06/2014 15:23:03:

Good idea peter, we're going to put an advert in my mates local shop where quite a few farmers frequent

John, I think you are better off approaching them directly. When I was a teenager me and a mate that I flew with just went knocking on farmers doors and sure enough we got permission quite easily.

More recently I asked a local farmer, that I met through having beers with other dad's from my kids school, if he knew any farmers that might have a corner of a field I can fly from and he said sure, I've got a field you can use - its only used for grazing. Its perfect, on top of a hill, no buildings near it. Its a bit rough, being farmland, but I just have to make allowances - large wheels!! (good excuse for large models!).

Good luck

Rich

Edited By Rich2 on 06/06/2014 06:52:10

Posted by john melia 1 on 05/06/2014 15:23:03:

Good idea peter, we're going to put an advert in my mates local shop where quite a few farmers frequent

As Rich 2 says, Approach them directly. You want a private airstrip and the owners are not likley to contact you but they will be more receptive if you go round and see them.

They like to be able to ask questions and judge you as a person. I speak from experience having negotiated four local farm strips. plus other flying sites over the years.

The best was a farm strip which was a mini Old Warden. The owner was an avid homebuilder and over the years produced an award winnign Steen Skybolt. Completely rebuild a Piper Tri Pacer and converted it to a Pacer and then designed and built a superb two seat aerobatic biplane which got a rave review from the official test pilot.

He then built a Colomban Luciole which was the aircraft to gain type approval by the LAA.

piper 1.jpg

Oh and this is our current flying field for a club of 15 membber. each side is abotu 100 meters long

Edited By Peter Miller on 06/06/2014 08:41:54