First foray into scale. Which model?

Hello all,

After flying predominantly sport, pattern type aerobatic models for a while I feel I need to widen my horizons and purchase my first scale/semi scale model.

I have managed to produce a short list of four very different models which appeal to me in one way or another. The big difficulty for me is actually deciding which would be the best choice. In all cases propulsion will be supplied via electrickery.

So, here are the four models. Which would you advise I choose and why?

Many thanks, Steve

Black Horse Chippy. 1,6m Kit aprox 160 euros

black horse chipmunk.jpg

Black Horse Decathlon 1.65m Kit aprox 160 euros

black horse decathlon.jpg

Phoenix Model Vista 185. 1.7m Kit aprox 200 euros

phoenix vista 185.jpg

Robbe Pander Typ-D 1.8m Kit aprox 250 euros

robbe-pander-typ-d.jpg

Advert

Hi Steve,

Without knowing a bit more about what specifically inspires you to get into scale, and what you are looking for in the model, I guess all we can offer is our own personal preferences. It really needs to be the model which will keep you interested for longest, and usually you will already be fond of the full size aircraft...

...I'd personally go for the Chipmunk - it looks great, is a bit of a challenge to fly in a scale-like way, and the flaps add to the realism... but that's just me...

The only other considerations are whether this is a one-off purchase, or the start of a collection of models of a similar theme (e.g. RAF Trainers), and whether you want to go for a popular model (easy to get help) versus something a bit more unique...

Good luck!

TWS

Many thanks for your input so far gents.

Some very interesting comments which I'm taking on board. One comment in particular, from TWS, has hit the nail on the head with " It really needs to be the model which will keep you interested for longest, and usually you will already be fond of the full size aircraft....."

Now, keeping me interested the longest is perhaps the relevant part here.......for, almost as soon as I've maidened a model I'm looking for the next project. I do like to play and at heart I'm a closet builder. I'm qualified as an engineer and designer and worked as a modelmaker in the MoD. I also taught Design and Technology up to A level. In all that time I had access to multimedia workshops and machine tools. However, since moving to Spain 7 years ago all that has disappeared. Unfortunately, the closest I have to those facilities now is a Dremel and the kitchen table.

So, I guess my motivation to move into scale models is to give me more opportunities to tinker and keep me from getting bored in some small and limited way.

With regard to the models indicated, I have no close relationship with any of the full size aircraft. I joined the A.T.C as a teenager but left before I had a chance to get up close and personal with a Chippy for example. I like all four for different reasons, some appeal visually, some practically, and a mix of the two.

Of the four, I guess the Chippy is the most iconic for an Englishman and seems to be well received in this forum and beyond. And, as Tony pointed out, there's a wealth of hints and tips here to enhance it. One minor negative for me is the requirement for 7 servos; I like things simple. If I could omit the flaps to start with and use one servo instead of two for the elevator I'd be happier.

Of the others, The Decathlon is perhaps closest to my present fleet of sport models in terms of flight performance. It's the model with the lowest wing loading.

The Cessna 185 / 195, I don't know which, appeals primarily for it's looks; to me it's just gorgeous! I love design from the period that this model pertains to. However, perhaps it's the least suitable for me in terms of flight envelope.

I included the Pander because it was something different and again I love the look. I didn't even know it exitsted a week ago.

Well, there you go, I feel like I've opened up my soul a little. Am I still undecided? Yes but there's a bit more clarity now.

Are any of you in a better position to offer me your advice? I don't know but, please do keep those comments coming.

Steve.

You'll never get bored flying the chippy! Iconic low wing design that looks so good in the air.........float it around or give a full aerobatic display. I don't own one myself (still have my 20+ years old Goldberg Super Chipmunk though) but other BH models I've seen at both of my clubs are outstanding in build quality and finish (except for the pilot figures supplied, unfortunately).

Edited By Cuban8 on 26/06/2014 15:36:06

I don't know for sure about those Black Horse models but I recently bought my first Black Horse model - JU87B Stuka - it's a nice model and flies really well but one thing just p's me off no end - it's covering is sticky backed plastic with all the panel lines, crosses etc printed on and so any damage ( e.g after a slight encounter with a ploughed field embarrassed) means that you can't make it good by applying replacement covering and so it is just going to get more and more 'battle-scarred'.

Well Steve,

I've read all the previous comments and reasons stated but I would still very much favour the Robbe Pander.

With the Pander I could get the feeling when flying that is is me up there experiencing the thrill of early flight.

I do like to immerse myself into the experience when flying.

Posted by Wingman on 26/06/2014 16:16:49:

I don't know for sure about those Black Horse models but I recently bought my first Black Horse model - JU87B Stuka - it's a nice model and flies really well but one thing just p's me off no end - it's covering is sticky backed plastic with all the panel lines, crosses etc printed on and so any damage ( e.g after a slight encounter with a ploughed field embarrassed) means that you can't make it good by applying replacement covering and so it is just going to get more and more 'battle-scarred'.

my opinion too - be very careful taughtening the covering with heat as it's easy to melt it - as I discovered on my Macchi!

Thanks for the continued response guys.

Fly boy3, I would love to build from plans but at the moment I just don't have the space to set up even a very modest work area. It's something I find very frustrating.

Malcolm, I think that's how I'd feel too with the Pander. It does appeal to me quite a bit as I'm a sucker for something different.

Bob, the Black Horse models I've included are covered with Oracover.

Still pondering but a wild card has been thrown into the mix some 30 minutes ago.

Steve.

Good luck choosing, Steve, go with the one that appeals most. My son has the Decathlon, which flies very well on a 600W 4s setup. We arranged a battery bay in the underside. It's got a relatively low wing loading and parallel chord, so it's pretty viceless, but is nicely aerobatic, too. I've no experience of any of the others.

Some food for thought there about the Decathlon Trevor and Percy.

It's very odd, in many ways I find the Decathlon the least appealing of the four models; they're two a penny and probably come second only to a Cub for popularity. On the other hand, as you point out Trevor, it is relatively light for it's size, hence has a low wing loading and should be quite agile as a result.......and I like that trait in my models.

Additionally, power and electronics requirements are modest too which does help to keep the costs down.

I do like that hostetler version Percy.

Well, I was in my LMS this morning, just chatting as one does at times. Turns out that a chap who used to be a regular at my local club is selling up and some models will be available for sale over the weekend. No idea what will be on offer but you never know.

Cheers chaps,

Steve.

Let's be honest - that's a tough short list as they are all lovely and I'd give any of them room in my hangar any day!

But I suppose you have to make a choice!

1, The Chippie. I have this model (in the slightly older form) and have recently converted it too electric. That should tell you something - the fact that I could be bothered to convert it. Nice model, flies well. Semi-symmetrical wing so quite useful aerobatically - certainly flys well inverted. Also good model to learn to use flaps correctly on as there is little trim change - just a tad of down needs be mixed in. Only criticism - pilots are ugly! And the U/C legs a bit soft.

2. The Decathlon - good first aerobatic scale choice. You can throw these around. Lots about because they are popular. Their popular because they do what it says on the can! Never had one - but know lots of satisfied owners - they can't all be wrong!

3. the 185. My my, what a stunner! Don't know how it flies but boy will it turn heads!

4 The pander - well its certainly different - you don't see many of them down at the field. Looks a useful flier too.

Which one? Mmmmm. Tricky. But For me the Pander or the Decathlon (I already have the Chippie!). For you? Well the The Chippie or the Pander (you don't already have a Chippie!). or maybe the Decathlon, or the 185,.....

Damn it - stick the names on bits of paper and draw it out of a hat!

BEB

Well now,

Out of the blue and not related to any of my previous posts, I've been offered a Phoenix Model Super Decathlon ARF.46. via a friend at the club The cowling has some damage but is easily repairable and the wheel spats are missing. Otherwise the model is in perfect nick.

Model is complete with Futaba servos and a Turnigy G46 Motor but no ESC/BEC.

I have no idea what to offer for the model if it's worth buying but, I think the I may be able to secure a deal for around 120 Euros.

I have spent the evening researching the model and have encountered mixed opinions.

Steve.